Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Pick director / cast the leads in 451 re-make
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pick director / cast the leads in 451 re-make
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Green Shadow,
Nope, Brazil is a different movie- kind of a strange one- something like Orwell's 1984 reinvisioned through Monty Python and Tom Stoppard, very dark, but with a surreal, sometimes even goofy streak. Boys from Brazil was the one about cloning Adolf Hilter, based on that Ira Levin book. I saw it a Long time ago, when I was too young to really get it, probably. Yet some stuff does stick out in memory. I should probably watch it again sometime.

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...
The Peter Weir films that I know are Dead Poets Society and Witness, both great movies, and The Mosquito Coast, which I think took a harsher rap from critics than it deserved to...
He probably wouldn't be my first pick, but he's a great director.

I imagine that the next logical step would be Morgan Freeman as the Professor.
Or maybe a switched-gender F451, with Jullienne Moore as Montag and Judi Dench as Faber.
Or maybe I should stop now...

Yeah, probably.

Good Evening,
Dan

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I found the perfect cast for Clarisse! It was all the time right before my nose: one of my favourite actresses, Claire Danes!!!!

As for 30 year old guys, there are manny! Guy Pearce and Jude Law are my favs.

________________<br />When you were young, did children kill each other back then?

Posts: 21 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh and again for the directors...

Spielberg... ah, I just hate him! He might have the right visual style, but with and after A.I. he just copyed it from Kubrick!

I think a lot 'bout Nolan now... He is one of my favourite directors, made my favourite movie, the urban masterpiece "Memento", delivered a good remake with "Insomnia" and is just up to make "Batman 5" (rumours are out that Guy Pearce will play it and that the bad-man will be the scarecrow). Fahrenheit 451 would be perfect for him!

________________<br />When you were young, did children kill each other back then?

Posts: 21 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coma-Man,

I can't bring myself to agree with you about Spielberg (and how the two directors are represented in A.I. is a whole different barrel of toxic waste). Not that everything he touches turns to gold... I thought Hook was really kind of lousy, but at his best (Empire of the Sun, Schindler's List, Jaws)he will always be one of my favorite directors.

To be more agreeable, however, Christopher Nolan is also amazing, and I would agree, also an excellent suggestion for F451. Hopefully, if that rumor is true, he'll save the Batman series from the ruinous directions it has been taking since Tim Burton left the picture.
Have you seen Following, the picture he made before Momento? Also a very, very slick movie- which also uses non-linear timelines.

here retaining my objective indulgence in the sentimental,
Dan

sheesh... sorry for the repetition. not sure how it happened. i tried to delete it, but only forum leaders can do that.
hopefully soon to be swept away,
Dan

Dan: One way you can delete repetitions is by going to edit, selecting the text, and typing "Duplicate Post Deleted" over it. I'll delete such posts during my usual cleanups. (Another thing you could do is pull a "Mission Impossible," read this post, and then edit over the end.)

Dandelion

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 05-05-2003).]

posted Hide Post
No havn't seen Following yet, it isn't out here in Germany... have to wait!

posted Hide Post
Tim Burton has a grat eye for visual design, but he tends to overlook the story in his quest for good art direction. (in his remake of planet of the apes, how do you explain where the horses came from? Or how Thade got to earth at the end? The art direction, musical score, and make-up were good though) I would have to say no to Burton. The rumor I've heard for Clarisse is Charlize Theron. I think, #1, she's too old for the part, #2, to me she just doesn't come off as deep as the character would need.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
F-451

How about if ...The Three Stooges were able to do 'Fahrenheit'.
Come on...think REALLY outside of the box....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: Can you even SEE the box?

:-)

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark:
Come to think of it... not really...

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like christopher Walken in the cast
Also for director - Tim Burton

Posts: 21 | Registered: 12 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rethinking my comment above, I have concluded that we should take some of the Great Classics...and make them into comedies. But NOT the comedies you see today. These are NOT comedies. These are pathetic pieces of film making. Where are the Modern Laurel and Hardies, the contemporary Sid Caesar at his prime. Where is the new Lucille Ball? Where is the charisma of a Jimmy Durante? They are not quirks of nature, but representations of Great Art. We have a mentality going on out there that says it must have to do with sex, more sex, and throw some expletives in it...in fact profously sprinkle everything with the aforementioned... Hardly anything is funny anymore. There are moments in Bruce Almighty. And Jim Carey could do so much more. Some of the people on Drew Carey show are incredible. But their format is 'base'. Maybe the old comedy doesn't sell anymore... but if we continue on a twisted path, two generations from now we'll probably wind up witnessing the burning of all the film and DVDs and VHSs of anything remotely familiar to great comedy.
No,my senses have not betrayed me... it's just, wouldn't, let's say.... Frankenstein, as a comedy be, like, really funny?

posted Hide Post
They'd be going far to beat the classic "Young Frankenstein."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard:
For once I agree with you! My wife and I went to the movies yesterday and walked out of three films:
1. The Guild of Extraordinary Gentlemen - which I was really looking foreard to seeing.
2. Pirates of the Carribean
3. Legally Blonde II - my wifes first choice
The first two were so full of themselves with violent, special effects, and immitation of The Matrix II that I just gave up on the movies. No. 3 was just plain silly. Ok for 13 year olds.
Hollywood is bankrupt. They have no sense of story or plot. It is just a carnival side show of expectations without any real delivery. I know I am getting old, but I have seen most of the movies made since the '20s on TV or in person somewhere, sometime, and they were for the most part well made and had plots that real people moved in drawing the audience onto their stories. What they are putting out there now is just disappointing and frankly troublesome. A whole generation is growing up without the imagination needed to understand a Ray Bradbury. Some of the smaller indepentent film makers are doing a great job. Their movies are harder to find but well worth the waiting for. I want my heartstrings to vibrate, my mind to wonder, the skin on my body to crawl and real tears to flow. All I get is an earache from the overly enhanced sound extravaganza of cars crashing, guns exploding, and bodies decorporalizing into bloody fragments of DNA that splatt against the camera. Where is the artist, the comedian, the movie makers? Watch the latest digitally enhanced version of "Metropolis" from Kino if want to see fine movie making.

[This message has been edited by patrask (edited 07-13-2003).]

[This message has been edited by patrask (edited 07-13-2003).]

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some "chick flicks" are okay. The most recent adaptations of "Little Women" and "Sense and Sensibility," (I know, those are getting to be 8 and 10 years ago now, but they were wonderful,) "The Piano," and "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," all beautifully written, filmed, and acted. When men degenerate into mayhem, it's up to the women to save civilization.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post