Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Dandelion Wine
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dandelion Wine
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Well, you probably have Eddie Murphy of the old Saturday Night Live bit to thank for the"Ho Hos". Afterall, even farm kids have TV and it gets around quickly. "You too can be a HO". Troubling, that much of what was, isn't, and yet much of what is, won't be. So it will all out in the end, eh?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BP1: Right!
"What, ho! Apothecary!"
(Romeo seeks his fatal drug, R&J Act 5, sc i)

From my early studies of linguistics, I have always remembered the Indo-European Family of Languages chart:
"Old English, Middle English, Modern English"

Now what? "Long-lost English!"

Banana, Get your hands on a copy of "The Stories of Ray Bradbury." There is something for everyone in this classic 100 story collection. "READ ON!"

Maybe your teacher could help you with locating a copy. Or a Santa wish list item!? http://www.teenreads.com/authors/au-bradbury-ray.asp http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD_ID=176516&fp=F&kid=76277&cid=46822 http://raybradburyonline.com/bibliography/bradstor.htm

Enjoy.

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 12-08-2004).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The word "gay" went down one of the fastest in the language. I just read a couple of books from the '40s, '50s, where it was used in its older sense (maybe there was an even earlier, original sense!) and also have it in some songs which were published as late as the mid-'60s. By the early '70s it no longer appears in songs!

"Dude" is also quickly changing meaning.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In regards to the word "gay," it makes me wonder what kids today think of when they hear The Flintstones' theme song... "We'll have a gay old time!" I still use the word as a term for happy, as well as for designating someone as homosexual, mostly because I like the people I work with to have to actually think about what I'm saying! Some of my staff...well, trying to get them to understand basic things is like performing a root canal on an awake tiger!

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about when we "Deck the Halls" this Christmas?

Don we now our gay apparel,
Fa la la, la la la, la la la.
Troll the ancient Yuletide carol,
Fa la la la la la, la la la la.

posted Hide Post
Dandy,...and this in pursuit of "scholarly" affairs? http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/12/08/dude.study.ap/index.html

Ah, yes. Research?! So that would require some "Long-lost English" Age title adjustments:

Of Mice and Dudes
The Invisible Dude
The Dude From Lamanchia
Spiderdude
Superdude
All the Kings Dudes
RB's: The Dude, Rocketdude (from The Illustrated Dude)
Dude Without a Country

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 12-08-2004).]

posted Hide Post
Not to mention "troll" has taken on new connotations.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me, troll (besides the obvious reference to a creature that lives under a bridge and harasses billy goats!) is a kind of fishing you do in a boat.

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Korby:

They want everything handed to them; they don't WANT to think. That's what I think is with kids these days! Heck, seems like every other week, I'm reading how cheating in school is becoming more and more prevalent and even somewhat acceptable!

What scares me is these kids are the world's future! Thank goodness there are some kids out there who still use their own brains!

Excellent, this is an accurate description of how 97% of the people in my highschool and the ones surrounding are. I cant stand how everyone needs to be spoon fed any material that actually requires thinking. And its not as if bradbury writes in a difficult to understand fashion, quite the opposite actually. Just shows what were coming to, better go watch 6 hours of TV right?

Posts: 40 | Location: st.cloud, MN, USA | Registered: 08 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Frank,

I was substitute teaching in a private school here in the Ft. Lauderdale area. I was appalled by the silliness of the students--these were 10th graders--when reading through Shakespeare. I forget the play, I think it was Romeo and Juliet, where the line "What ho?" is stated meaning "What's going on?", "Who's there?", or something to that effect. The students broke into loud laughter at the mention of "ho." It took me a minute to understand what they were laughing about.

Another time, in rural Minnesota, we were talking about the re-distribution of nationalities and work. In Minnesota a lot of Hispanic familes would come up to Minnesota to work in the beet fields, cutting weeds out of the rows.

As part of this discussion I mentioned that entire families would be involved in this effort and that any child big enough to hold a "hoe," was put to work. Here again, loud shouts of laughter (these were seniors) and I just couldn't believe it. I had to draw an illustration on the board so that they would know what I meant, and lot of them were farm kids. I am sure that you, Mr. Dark, and others who are teachers, are running into similar situations.

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 12-06-2004).]

I know exactly what you mean, we read Romeo and Juliet this year in "LA" (it seems to be the most popular shakespearian play to put into the curriculum) and the exact same thing occured. At least as sophomores we should be ashamed of that low of humour if nothing else...

[This message has been edited by Mycroft (edited 12-08-2004).]

Posts: 40 | Location: st.cloud, MN, USA | Registered: 08 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You must have heard of the term "sophomoric humor."

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Enjoy! Spring arrives: http://caroleknits.net/wp-cont...resized-for-blog.jpg

No "Dandelions"...yet! But soon!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
No "Dandelions"...yet! But soon!

Smiler

A day without a weed whacker, weedeater, weed spray, or a lawnmower is a good day!

posted Hide Post
Happy Spring!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post