Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Movie Thread Ain't Working

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie Thread Ain't Working
 Login/Join

posted
WAAAA!!!

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey grasstains,

What I was trying to say, and I know I took the long track, was that his writing is definately tinged in knowledge usually gained by ingesting psychotropic material. It may be a totally genetic situation with him in that he was already born with the blinders off and can truly "see". That is likely the case. All I know is that when I read his stories, I recognize the common thread of, for want of a better word, psychedelia, running through the tapestry in most if not all of them. I still to this day view the mushroom and other mind expanding substances as beneficial to man for gaining knowledge that is unattainable in most other ways. I view it as the pullstring that opens the blinds that covers the window over your mind. I am not in any way promoting drug use, I'm just saying that under the right circumstances, it can be beneficial. Certain music also triggers this "feeling" in me that is way out there, I guess you'd call it. Ray's stories are so profound and surreal and perfect, that I fully get absorbed by them in every sense. I'm basically saying that it would not surprise me to find out that he used, at one time or another, mind expanding substances. Like I said, its probably in reality, the furthest thing from the truth.

I recognize a kindred spirit whether or not he ingested something to initially bring that kind of rare and special creativity to life is an unknown.

[This message has been edited by Robot Lincoln (edited 03-13-2006).]

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! That was beautiful. Others around here probably won't share your views, but I know what I was doing in the ninth grade (wink, wink) and that was the same time Bradbury suddenly lept from being my favorite author to being my life's prophet. Sadly, I also adopted as my mantra his quote "School interfered with my education." and promptly dropped out of high school. So while I don't have as magical a way with words as most others, and I have to work two crummy part-time jobs, drive crummy cars, live in the ghetto etc., I do have a well stocked mind ever safe from boredom. Perhaps do as much to being exposed and influenced by Bradbury as drug-induced brain damage. I don't know.

I do know that shrooming made me feel like I was living in a Bradbury story or an early Speilberg film. I always thought Speilberg, Tim Burton (when not being campy), or Peter Weir would make the best Bradbury adaptations.

Also, at times I do regret my drug use. I would love to have a virgin mind. I want every single lost brain cell back. For every door drugs opened in my mind, several were closed. But then again... the things I saw. Whoa.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 03-13-2006).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't want this to become a debate about drug use/abuse. I have seen the dark side; at least 2 friends in the '60s were permanently mentally damaged, and many others now view their years of psychedelic experimentation as years wasted.
Also, it's "definitely " (think of "finite") not "definately".
Only trying to be of service here.
Back to Bradbury! I discovered him and the wonderful transport of his writing WAY before the whole drug scene.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II speaks the truth. Although I have never been involved personally nor anyone in my family, I�ve seen the results first hand. In most cases, there is one word to describe recreational drug use and that word is calamity!

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm living proof of such calamity. As if it wasn't bad enough to go that route initially as a teenager only to straighten up and get married and all that, as soon as my marriage disolved I went right back to being a 35 year old teenager.

Now I'm more like a 40 year old toddler, so I'm OK now!!!

Oooh... fan.

posted Hide Post
I agree fully with all of you. I deeply regret my drug use in school and I wish I hadn't taken the path I did. I think Braling stated the most eloquently and simple way that I was trying to convey. Ray Bradbury transports! What a great way of putting it. Grasstains, I read what you wrote and it is very similiar to the decisions I too made. I thought it was beautiful writing also. I'm sorry about your job situation, I too suffer burn out at it. You called that one! Thanks all.

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We�re all just trying to get along in the world and some of us travel a rougher road than others. But notice, those who travel that rough road and get through it had to show more courage and character than those who trod the easy one.

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm reminded of one of my favourite quotes:

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

Saint Philo of Alexandria

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is really reaffirming from both of you! Thank you both so much, your kindness and love of fellow human beings shines through your writings! I truly wasn't trying to debate any kind of pros and cons of drug use. When you quit using drugs after twenty five years, a- You start to grow and mature from the point at which you started initially. Meaning I'm still very immature mentally, but working on it constantly. And, b-when you truly stop using, gradually what happens is that you start getting little highs and rushes off of the small things in life you never before even noticed(because you were too busy using or trying to use), like the color of the sky in the morning, a drift of music from somewhere,laughter of your wife and kids, birdsong, the wind, a gentle hug, rain, breathing, I could go on. The point of all this is that Ray's stories give me that rush naturally like all those things in a big way. B-two said it best though, HE TRANSPORTS YOU!

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
I managed to keep my appreciation of the little things during my forays into drug use, EXCEPT for the two years I decided to be a cocaine addict, which followed the divorce. That drug is absolutely insidious (look up the definition) robbing one of all creativity, spirituality, patience, virtue, and ultimately... one's own sanity. It's pure evil.

posted Hide Post
Your right Grasstains, it gobbles up your soul and doesn't want to give it back. The white lady is the devil in disguise.

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
It�s like I�m not actually in a lifeboat but on a sleigh ride in some winter wonderland.

�I treasure these moments.�

posted Hide Post
....you've been with the professors
and they've all liked your looks
with great lawyers you have
discussed lepers and crooks
you've been through all of
F. Scott Fitzgerald's books
you're very well read
it's well known

because something is happening here
but you don't know what it is
do you, mister jones? b.d.

the wind is angry tonight here, stirring restlessly after the thunderstorms have moved on to darker pastures, it doesn't know whether to follow or stay here and wreck more havoc...definitely defiantly now moving on and leaving it calmer and chillier here with the pale moon looking on through the fog like a pouting infant after the tantrum has expired leaving only hot dry tearbeds and an eye for its next victim.

Why do I suddenly feel like George Costanza???

Onward to Mars!