Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Story with sub-title, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Story with sub-title, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
 Login/Join

posted
I remember reading a short story where an android experiments on it's self, after discovering "he" is not human, but an android. Some how "it" discovers how it's chest opens to see a computer tape running.
What was the name of this story?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 10 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Ronbo, and welcome.

I would say the story you describe is NOT a Ray Bradbury story, but is likely to be "The Electric Ant" by Philip K. Dick.

Details here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Electric_Ant

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could be, but I surely don't remember anything about the main character being an ant

posted Hide Post
oops. My bad. "electric ant" was a term meaning Organic robot, which makes sense Smiler

posted Hide Post
All the places you can find this widely-anthologised tale:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?53526

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, you're good, Phil! I first read that story about three months ago.

Posts: 700 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just know what I know!

I read the story back in the '80s, and the central image Ronbo described stuck with me - but the title of the story didn't. A quick look on Wikipedia for a list of stories by PKD gave me a hunch as to the forgotten title, which I then looked up on ISFDB... and a quick scan down the list of anthology appearances revealed just one anthology I remember reading (DECADE: THE 1960s, edited by Aldiss and Harrison).

Simple!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Simple!

Just call him Sherlock! Quite the deducer, you!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I encountered it in this terrific book:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?296059

Posts: 700 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post