Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    The Halloween Tree

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Halloween Tree
 Login/Join

posted
It's time to dig it out again...

Posts: 24 | Location: Enid, OK, USA | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tammy, Yes! We are already planning to stop at an Amish farm down the road to buy two dozen little pumpkins for our annual Halloween Tree!

An interesting side note: Our usual location was a flowering crab tree that had been having some tough times over the past few years with leaf blight and, thus, had not been bearing fruit (for my wife's great fall jam making.) So, when a home project came up last year, (tree lovers may want to cover their eyes!), we had the old tree dismembered, limb by limb, and set aside for the fireplace - rather Poesque!

Well, it looked great having the lawn opened up a bit and the less than healthy tree removed. However, then our two boys returned home from school....

WOW! It took at least three days to calm them down. It was, after all, their climbing tree and the place where so many spring pictures had been taken with friends, family, and neighbors when in full magnificent pink bloom. Our cat climbed it to escape the occasional pursuit of the old dog across the street, always several bounds too late and more wheezing than barking.

Needless to say, my wife and I were crushed, too, for not having considered the ramifications of such a rash decision. So, parents take warning! A parent's old scraggley tree is a kid's best friend.

But, a happy ending... the oak tree we planted ten years ago is now getting to spread quite impressively. The pumpkins look great on it, and maybe next summer there will be a boy or two in its limbs and, who knows, possibly a cat seeking refuge.

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 09-28-2005).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i've been thinking of making a halloween tree myself.
we have a tree that my husband keeps talking about taking down and it makes me edgy - i hate to see trees go away .

Posts: 24 | Location: Enid, OK, USA | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post