Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Everyone's favorite story
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Everyone's favorite story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
As my username may suggest, Something Wicked This Way Comes may forever be my favorite Bradbury story. It recalls boyhood and reignites fear and wonder in a way I have never experienced with any other author's writing style.
In response to the OP- I actually did not read this until my early 20s (in my mid 20s now).

Posts: 1 | Location: Seattle, Washington  | Registered: 24 July 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greetings and welcome!

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's an odd story about the dangling benches.

I'm reminded that the "amusement parks and carnivals past and present" category is huge on the internet, in particular these abandoned places... for example there's one in Germany that is huge, and in the U.S. there's one that was apparently based on "Lil' Abner".

I was surprised to discover recently (via a streamed documentary on Kanopy) that parts of the New York World's Fair still exist and that some of it has been refurbished to some extent... in particular the ICBM's (Atlas and Titan etc.) are apparently still there. Chilling!

Some places like Disneyland have lots of fan pages as well as print books like "Mouse Tales" www.amazon.com/Mouse-Tales-Behind-Ears-Disneyland/dp/0964060566 Mouse Tales which hails from 1994 and has been reprinted.

Some people say Walt Disney was strongly influenced by mechanical toys. I liked the way RB described some of these sorts of things in "Usher II". (Wikipedia link - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Martian_Chronicles)

As a kid I was extremely interested in Victorian era tinplate and other mechanical toys (like coin banks) but I have never been able to get a good handle on the category.

Posts: 30 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: 31 March 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For haunted amusement parks and dangling swings, you must check out Lake Shawnee Amusement Park in West Virginia.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh boy - looks like the British tabloids had a field day with that one! Plenty creepy, yeah.

Posts: 30 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: 31 March 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post