Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    "Forever And the Earth" broadcast query

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Forever And the Earth" broadcast query
 Login/Join

posted
Way back in 1992 I discovered a battered tape cassette in a garage sale which contained an adaption of "Forever and the Earth" (one of my top five favorite Bradbury stories).

The recording was done off the radio apparently and the opening and closing weren't included. It did have a short introduction by Norman Corwin (not surprising since he and Bradbury were great friends) and featured William Schallert as the old millionaire who brings Thomas Wolfe into the future.

The cassette itself has long since vanished in various moves but I'm still curious about the broadcast history. I know it's not an episode of Dimension X, X Minus One, or any of the 1950s SF programs. Nor was it a part of BRADBURY 13.

Can anyone out there help me?

-- Doc

Posts: 16 | Location: Indianapolis IN USA | Registered: 29 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is one of two "Norman Corwin Specials" that I have heard of. The only information I have is that "Forever And The Earth" and "The Great Conflagration Up At The Place" were supposedly adapted by Bradbury and produced by Corwin. But I have no idea of dates or network etc.

This is one of several mystery Bradbury radio broadcasts (see my webpage http://home.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379/audio.htm for the others).

I, too, would be delighted to know more about this recording, and would be even more delighted if I found a copy in a garage sale!

- Phil

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could it have been just the audio from a "Ray Bradbury Theater" episode?

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion--

It wasn't audio from RBT. It was definitely done for broadcasting--there's a noticeable difference between audio and dramatized radio (as with dramatized radio and books on tape): dialogue, narration, and sounds are geared to convey the visual images that TV just takes for granted. Philnic's list seems to bear that out.

Philnic--

Looking over your list, the episode of MYSTERIOUS TRAVELER is inaccurate (I have sent a separate e-mail about same). "Zero Hour" is a completely original story by Robert A. Arthur (a contemporary of Bradbury) which just happens to share the same name and theme (alien invasion).

But your list did reveal a few non-US broadcasts I didn't know about and for that you have my thanks.

-- Doc

Posts: 16 | Location: Indianapolis IN USA | Registered: 29 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post