Ray Bradbury Forums
Fahrenheit 451

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/1231055372

26 August 2004, 02:30 PM
JoEsKi122
Fahrenheit 451
One of the great things about this book is that it's a book that was really written for everyone; you can walk away from reading it with a totally different perspective on its meanings from someone else who read it. Some people get the message of censorship out of it. Some focus on the similarities this book has in our own society today. But the main reason why this piece of literature is so great is because it's just a cleverly-fashioned, intruiging story that sort of sucks you in and doesn't let go. The way Bradbury builds the characters, describes his world, and simultaneously layers meaning after meaning through his pages truly shows mastery of his craft. This is smart and sensible reading, and if you're looking for an American writer who can really write well...then read this book.
26 August 2004, 02:41 PM
Katz1287
Adding on to Krystal's view, Farenheit 451 does make you think about life. In the 1950's when the book was written around, televisions were there. These televisions were relatively small. In Ray Bradbury's book Farenheit 451, the teleisions were as large as the wall. How could he have known this? Right now in our lives we do have televisions as large as walls, such as in a theater. If Brabury knew this, what else in the book could have been true? Many things in the book may be science fiction, but it leads me to wonder. If Bradbury was right on the tv, what else was he right on? Are there things in the book that could possibly predict things to come? When one really sits down and thinks about it, what can one really believe? Therefore, I'm not sure what I believe or not in the book. What is your credibility or belief dealing with Farenheit 451?
Thanks,
Ali E.
26 August 2004, 03:35 PM
brinny
There were a few things that i liked about this book that i thought set it apart from the others. I like how he made it set in the future. It's funny how most of the things he predicted actually are part of our society too. For example, we all rely on the tv to be our main "entertainment" and information stand. We believe whatever it wants to spit out, not second guessing a single part of it. Thats how it is in this book. They rely on the families and believe that they're the only good source of information and dont understand that not everything is true.

0.<brinny>.0
26 August 2004, 06:12 PM
Lenckjes
I thought this book was interesting because it went deep in your thoughts. It was really hard to imagine what kind of world that is to live in. My favorite part of the story was when Montag is being chased by the mechanical hound, because you can have a clear picture of that in your head. I do recommend this book for others to expierence with reading how deep and interesting this book really is
26 August 2004, 07:25 PM
lyss12188
I've heard a lot of different sides on F451. Some people absolutly love the book, when others say they would never read it again. At first I really didn't like the book. It confused me a little since it was set in the future, but as I continued reading and looking deeper into the meaning of the text, I grew to like it more and more.
26 August 2004, 08:54 PM
murawbra000
What I liked about Fahrenheit 451, was that it was science fiction. I like sci-fi because it makes you expand your mind and open up to new things that may not seem believable but make you think. My favorite part of the book was when Montag met Clarisse. She made Montag ponder his life and he finally realized that he wasn't happy. This started a rebellion from him to help find happiness. F451 was not like other books that I have read. It has ideas that firemen actually start fires and that reading is forbidden. The book brings a good futuristic view on our world from the 1950's. The book was a good read and was fast paced with plenty of action. I highly reccomend Fahrenheit 451 to everyone.

[This message has been edited by murawbra000 (edited 08-31-2004).]
26 August 2004, 09:01 PM
K.Ustupski
I thought the book was average. Nothing sensetional. I Liked because a different point of view about life , how they thought books were bad rather than good. The book confuzed me alot and I thought that it was really hard to read.

My favorite part was when Montag had to hide from the people that were after him. I really like action books and movies so thats why I liked that part of the book.

If your looking for something more serious and you are an advanced reader I recommed this book to you!
26 August 2004, 11:12 PM
LemontHighSchooler
Translator man u messed up......
27 August 2004, 11:00 AM
Lpanek
The book was an alright piece of reading. I would have to agree with the others who said it went slow at first. But as i kept reading the book more and more i came to understand all of the symbolism and meaning the book gave. The part i enjoyed reading about was when montag would talk to clarise and she asked him, "Are you happy?" That set the tone and changed montags view of how he wanted to live his life. He came to realize that he really isnt happy. Him and his wife have the things they need to be happy, but he just isnt. Also his veiw on being a fireman changes. In the begining of the book he loves his job and buring the books. But after he meets clarise he then wants to save the books and read so he can find happiness. When he first talks to Faber he tells montag though that not all of his answers to happiness are in the books.
27 August 2004, 11:00 AM
waligvic000
LemontHighSchool-
The beginning of the book was a little slow, and I actually had to read it twice, but by the 35th page I got into it. After I read the beginning a second time, my favorite parts were the ones with Clarisse. She was a very interesting person compared to others in the story. She didn't ask how things were made, but why they were made. I loved the way she talked about random things and asked whatever she was wondering. She just made the story interesting. Without her in the story there wouldn't really be a story, because she was the one that made Montag think about if he's really happy. From the point of meeting Clarisse, Montag had totally changed his point of view about everything. He even changed his life. It was a pretty good book and I would recommend it.
27 August 2004, 11:21 AM
zoleckry000
I like the fact that Ray Bradbury speaks into the future. He talks about what could happen if people don't care of sociey. I'm sure none of us would actually want to live in a place where we can't think for ourselves. Where we only live to have fun and work. Also where instead of the fireman put out the fires they start them just to burn books. I would recommend this books to other readers. Since it tells about a different perspective into what may happen i the future. It certainly is a good book to read.
27 August 2004, 11:59 AM
schuhbre001
What did u like about fahrenheit 451? What was ur favoirte part? Would u recommend this book to others is so why?

The thing that I liked the most about this book was that it made me think about what life would be like without books. My favorite part in this book was when Montag went to go visit Faber with the book, because it made Montag think about what he was doing to people and books. Yes I would reccomend this book to others because it makes you think alot about life and how it would change if we didnt have books or we wouldnt be able to read certain books because firemen would burn them.
27 August 2004, 02:14 PM
BIGNick13
I found that Ray Bradbury had a distinct image on our world with out him knowing. One example would be the emergancy guys that pumped Mildred's stomach when she was sick. they didn't seem to care about her as they were working. They got in there, did there job in like 10 minutes, and just left as if they didn't want to be there. I have seen many doctors who have acted like this many times in hospitals and emergancy facilities.
27 August 2004, 02:18 PM
flancchr000
I liked the plot to the book. I also liked some of the characters. My favorite part was when Montag met Clarisse. I liked it because she persuaded Montag to change how he feels. It's pretty astounding that a 17 year old girl can persuade a grown man. It might be because Montag was attracted to her. I would recommend this book to others because it has some interesting parts to it and noone would have predicted the ending to the book.
27 August 2004, 02:19 PM
cieskjon000
I thought that this was a good book. Like most others I thought that this book got into a very slow start. By about the 40th page it started to get good. I liked all of the strong metaphors that the author Ray Bradbury used to describe many things. My favorite part had to be when Montag went home and wanted to talk to the girls at his house about books. I would recommend this book to people of all ages.