Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair
 Login/Join

posted
I just finished watching La La Land and I find a very strong parallel to Ray Bradbury's "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair."

Could I be correct?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 06 May 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Ray will have a cameo sitting front row center for this?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG, Ray's prophecy has once again come true! They've cloned them!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me rephrase my original post.....
Is the movie "La La Land" based on Ray Bradbury's short story "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair"?

Does anyone else see the parallel?

Maybe I am asking the wrong forum, maybe I should be asking someone associated with the movie...

Posts: 2 | Registered: 06 May 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't see the movie, but I sure as hell saw that Oscar screwup for which it will be forever remembered!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dr. Phil Nichols is an expert on media adaptations of works of Ray Bradbury. He often posts here, and on the Ray Bradbury Facebook group, and he's never mentioned any connection between LA LA LAND and Ray Bradbury's story.

I'm sure there's no connection. I've seen the movie, and the Ray Bradbury story is one of my favorites.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding Ray ripoffs, I do have a reminiscence. I watched the 1980s series 21 Jump Street regularly and couldn't help noticing in a 1989 episode, "Woolly Bullies," described here, http://www.tv.com/shows/21-jum...oolly-bullies-75250/, the part of the storyline involving officer Douglas "Doug" Penhall's character was a direct ripoff of Ray's short story "The Utterly Perfect Murder." I wrote Ray explaining that character had always been named Doug, just like the guy in his story, so that was just coincidence, but the plot was a direct steal of his story.

Ray never answered, and I contacted Donn Albright saying it was awfully funny that Ray almost always answered my correspondence but had nothing to say about that, especially in view of the fact that he went to the Supreme Court over the Fahrenheit 451 steal in the early days of TV. Donn explained that Ray said it happens all the time, intentionally or not, and if he took the time to pursue every such case it would take up too much time and energy so he chose to ignore it.

I thought I was going nuts when I had Ray flashbacks watching Dirty Dancing, but finally realized I was remembering Ray's story "Some Live Like Lazarus" only with the rich and poor roles of the male and female main characters reversed. I sure recognized the situation and setting. A similar setting turns up in Ray's story "Someone in the Rain," which may be confusing to some readers who might not associate Ray with summer resort stories.

Incidentally the story "The Utterly Perfect Murder" disturbed me because it implied or stated Doug was a successful writer. I had also been plagued by childhood bullies, not as badly as Doug, but enough to make a lifetime goal that if I succeeded as a writer I wouldn't be bothered by these memories anymore, even to the extent that Doug was in the story. The other story of Ray's with which I can never reconcile to the ending is "Season of Disbelief" from Dandelion Wine.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
I didn't see the movie...

You should - it's excellent! One of the best musicals in years.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On January 7 TCM ran a Laurel and Hardy marathon in honor of the new film so I finally got to see The Music Box.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
On January 7 TCM ran a Laurel and Hardy marathon in honor of the new film so I finally got to see The Music Box.

I recorded all of them. I think I have some, but now I'm covered!

"Live Forever!"