Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    451 the movie vs. the book

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

451 the movie vs. the book
 Login/Join

posted
I'm trying to remember if Montag doused himself with whiskey and jumped into the river in the original movie. It's been awhile since I've seen it. I do remember that there was no Mechanical Hound, but I not sure about the river scene.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No river at all in the movie, just sort of wandered off into the woods.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Montag (in the movie) didn't have the metaphoric cleansing and rebirth in the river as was so magically detailed in the book. However, in the film didn't he get into a small boat and cover himself up with a tarp of sorts. Then those "hi-tech" rocket-packed searchers flew over - didn't they?!

The river scene is really the coup de grace of Guy's metamorphosis. Mildred, Clarisse, Beatty, Faber, and his past life have all gone by the boards. Now he must experience that first step as the man he has become.

The river (water) symbol delivers Montag to his new life. The dark and forboding landscape awaiting him is not a very comforting image as he floats closer to he opposite bank. At first, Montag would rather stay in the security of the warm, protective environment that separates him from the past and the great challenges on land and the future.

When he finally realizes he is no longer "hounded" by the forces of his recent months, he accepts his fate, ventures into the woods, and the smells of the earth and grasses and animals overwhelm him. At first it is terrifying, but eventually it is what he has sought all along.

This would make for a masterpiece of cinematography in the right hands:

"He looked in at the great black creature without eyes, light, shape, ... that went on for a thousand miles... He was crushed by the darkness and the look of the country and the million odors on a wind that iced his body.
"There must be a billion leaves on the land; he waded in them, a dry river of smelling hot cloves and warm dust. Smells like cut potatoes... pickles... parsley... mustard... carnations... licorice.
"A half hour later, cold, and moving carefully he saw a fire. It was not burning. It was WARMING."
RB - from "Burning Bright" F451

I just read this entire section of 451 over again and can merely comment, NO ONE says it better than Mr. Bradbury!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 03-04-2003).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjpalumbo,

Amazing response. I, too, am always mezmerized by this particular scene from the novel, this transformation, this baptism. It's so elemental: earth, air, fire, water.

I agree 100% with you that this would be a cinematographer's dream. Take note directors out there!

PS-I didn't remember the boat in the movie. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Perfect!!
Now where is the @%=&* MOVIE!?

http://www.slashgear.com/galle...ien-furniture_48.jpg

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<harvey101blind>
posted
yeah every once and awhile i hear that mel gibson is making it , or someone else , but it never happens . they could really make it perfect

Reply With QuoteReport This Post