Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Nah, I ain't cryin, just got somethin in my eye.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nah, I ain't cryin, just got somethin in my eye.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
"A Heffable Horrilump!" Well, Chap, since you veered slightly off the Bradburian Tear-jerking trail, may I add that in almost any version of "A Christmas Carol" (even the animated made-for TV Mr. Magoo one)I get misty when Tiny Tim says, "God bless us every one!"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Well, Chap, since you veered slightly off the Bradburian Tear-jerking trail...

I want to veer, I want to veer!

"Miracle on 34th Street", when Kringle speaks Dutch to that little girl upon his knee.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dutch, but a very nice moment.

I had a friend who cried at Eeyore's birthday party.

I've been in floods of tears over "The Velveteen Rabbit."

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Dutch, but a very nice moment.

Dutch! But of course (now where'd I get Russian? - oh yes, "Vino iz oduvanchikov").

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug,
The words to the song Chris and the girl sing in the movie:

Sinterklaas, kapoentje
Gooi wat in mijn schoentje,
Breng wat in mijn laarsje
Dank je Sinterklaasje.

Saint Nicholas, I beg of you
Toss into my little shoe,
Put into my stocking.
Thank you, Saint Ni-cho-las.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A beautiful scene - a beautiful film. My second favourite Xmas movie, or Yuletide movie, right behind the brilliant "A Christmas Story".

("Xmas" means "Christ-mass")

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Since we're veering (looks like a Dutch word, "veering"), don't forget "It's A Wonderful Life". I saw this film for the first time in the early '70s at a Frank Capra film festival. Capra was there and gave a talk afterwards. I got his autograph and had my picture taken with him!
Annually, I also watch the 1951 Alastair Simm version of "A Christmas Carol", and listen to the Orson Welles radio production featuring Lionel Barrymore. All three of these have their tear-jerking moments for me.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Wonderful Life" is a fine film. A failure at the time of its release!

My humble opinion, in order:

5. "It's a Wonderful Life"
4. "Scrooge" (1951)
3. "Miracle on 34th Street" (1994)
2. "Miracle on 34th Street" (1947)
1. "A Christmas Story"

Veering indeed!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
It might not be considered a Christmas movie, but the best parts of "Meet Me In St. Louis" are set during the Christmas season. It's my second most favorite movie ever!! ("Arsenic and Old Lace" being the first!)Yes, I realize I too have veered!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I'm not a Brewster. I'm the son of a sea-cook! Ha! Ha!"

posted Hide Post
Charge!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, off topic of tear-jerkers in Bradbury, but some posts here got me curious . . . Bradbury has done a lot of autumn/Halloween stories, but has he done any Christmas stories anywhere? I'm drawing a mental blank on this.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark

Probably few. His very limited play, Bradbury Christmas, opening in less than 2 weeks, has in the first act, a rendition of his short story, The Man.

As to other stories, there is The Gift, a short-short story, of a child traveling with his parents into space, and is shown the vast stars in space as Christmas candles thruout the eternities.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Gift," "The Wish," and "Bless Me, Father"--all very unconventional Christmas stories. Obviously in his day, Christmas was not only cold, but a sad rip-off reason to gift kids with practical presents such as sweaters and mittens, and he formed no nostalgic affection for it.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read Weller's biography, but don't remember anything about crummy Christmases. Did I miss something? I loved Christmases growing up and when my kids were young. I remember when we were a certain age (not sure, ten?), our parents would get us a bike for Christmas that year. I wanted the stingray, the bike with the high handlebars and banana seat. Back then, it was a one-speed bike. My dad thought they were stupid and wouldn't do it. So I griped at him to not get me a bike at all. On Christmas morning, I had a unicycle under the tree. In spite, I learned to ride it. I feel badly for those for whom Christmas was a bummer. I loved the holidays growing up. Christmas was great, Thanksgiving was great, Halloween was great.

Am I not remembering? Did Bradbury not like Christmas? I just looked in the index of Weller's book, and didn't see a Christmas listing.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post