Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    the experience

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the experience
 Login/Join

posted
i walk into this old used book store. they have somehow crammed 2 million books into a little strip mall joint, it buts up to a mexican restaurant and you are smelling spices over the wall next to the mythology and the comic books.

the rest of the store smells like a carpet cleaner, if you buy a book there the carpet cleaner smell stays on it for months, years. you open it up and you remember, ah yes, i must have bought this book there.

i find something by ray bradbury. we read farenheit 451 in school, but nothing else. i crack it open while i put my feet on the pavement, the sun pouring down.

by the time i get where i'm going, i have been to another world. i have been in a power house in the desert. i have been on an ancient canal on mars. i have been worried about the feelings of characters that don't exist, that i'll never meet.

do i have a favorite story? no. i have memories of reading, i have feelings. i have a tattered paperback from the 1970s that fits in my back pocket.

most of all i have these secrets, secret stories, about what people really think and feel, in our age of modernization.

Posts: 4 | Location: usa | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome Turmeric. It's neat how Bradbury's stories are meaningful to each of us and that we can share that with others. I haven't found another author that has impacted me the same way. I need to find a good used book store near me and check out the Bradbury section.

Posts: 83 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this post turmeric. I remember that as a teenager I would wander from second-hand bookstore to second-hand bookstore, looking through the Ray Bradbury section for anything new. Any time that I went on holiday with my parents, the first thing I did on visiting a new town was to look for Bradbury books in the nearest bookstore! I remember one time very well: when I and my family went to Glastonbury town, my father took a walk up the steep hill to photograph the tor and I walked around the shops. There was an enormous bookshop there, gone now, that had nearly ten Bradbury books which I bought all at once. I spent the rest of the holiday with my head stuck in these books! Especially 'The Day It Rained Forever', I won't forget reading that for the first time. It was a collection that I hadn't even heard of, but I read it all in one afternoon... walking along along a Picasso beach and shooting to the stars.

___________________________________________________________________________________
"The key word is love... get up in the morning and write something you love, something to live for!”

Posts: 18 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 19 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post