Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leviathan '99
 Login/Join

posted
Can I purchase a hardcover or paperback copy of "Leviathan '99" that has Joe Mugniani illustrations (Planet and space ship circling it) either on book jacket or within the book? ej4r@yahoo.com

Posts: 2 | Registered: 30 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Ron, and welcome. I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of such an edition. In fact, I wonder if you might be confusing LEVIATHAN '99 with GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN.

The only book appearance of LEVIATHAN '99 so far has been in the volume called NOW AND FOREVER, first published in 2007. Some of the various cover artworks used for this title are here.

The only Mugnaini artwork for LEVIATHAN '99 is not from a book, but from a poster for Bradbury's stage play, which predates the book publication by 30 years. Here is the Mugnaini illustration:

Finally, your description of the image in your post sounds to me much more like the Mugnaini artwork for THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN, which was used for the cover of the UK edition of the book:

Quite a long-winded answer, but I hope this is helpful.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Moss Gallery has some gorgeous Mugnaini artwork, including what I believe Ron is looking for.

.http://www.tobeycmossgallery.com/tenviews.html

(Scroll down to the No. 8 picture)

Whether or not it became a book cover, I don't know.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, Easton Press (has?) or had one. Uncertain if it has Mugnaini's Art.
http://www.worthpoint.com/wort...99-bradbury-91044233

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, BII, that artwork is more likely what Ron is referring to - although that's a great white COMET rather than a planet!

Linnl, as always I had forgotten Easton Press (their books are way out of my price range, and I've rarely laid eyes on any of them in the flesh. Like you, I have no idea if there is any Mugnaini art in there - but the cover art doesn't look like Mugnaini to me.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The image was used for another theatre poster and program in 2002. Ray rewrote the play and we produced it at The Raven Playhouse in North Hollywood CA. Copies are still floating around, so it isn't impossible to find one. Good hunting.

ImageBradbury_poster_Leviathan_unsigned.jpg (159 Kb, 11 downloads)

Posts: 3 | Registered: 24 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
showrunner, are you a showrunner? A real showrunner?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showrunner:
The image was used for another theatre poster and program in 2002. Ray rewrote the play and we produced it at The Raven Playhouse in North Hollywood CA. Copies are still floating around, so it isn't impossible to find one. Good hunting.

Ah yes, the poster where the right-side-up spaceman is actually upside-down.

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In space there is no up or down. Also, no one can hear you scream.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
In space there is no up or down. Also, no one can hear you scream.

But in publishing there is. Razzer

ImageSisforSpace.jpg (157 Kb, 7 downloads)

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, I was thinking "space", but you were talking "S is for Space"!

- Phil