Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Laurel and Hardy steps

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laurel and Hardy steps
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all,

I just discovered your forum while researching Ray in relation to Laurel and Hardy. I am a Laurel and Hardy fan and also enjoy Ray's work (though I've only read The Martian Chronicles and Fahrenheit 451). Anyway, while googling, I came across a thread from this board from several years ago discussing Ray's stories regarding Laurel and Hardy. I look forward to reading all three in the near future.

Anyway, the story regarding the couple that visits all the filming sites made me think that some of you here might be interested in what those sites look like today. In July, my son and I had the opportunity to visit L.A. for the first time, and we went specifically to see the Laurel and Hardy film sites (the L.A. chapter of the Laurel and Hardy fraternal organization the Sons of the Desert hosted a weekend tour). I set up a Web site with photos from the tour and captions stating which Laurel and Hardy movie the site was used in. I've included several photos of the Music Box Steps from Ray's story. It's at www.flickr.com/photos/robkeegan. Of course, my son and I are in many of the shots, but they will give you an idea of what the sites look like.

Dandelion--I noticed on your post from 2003 that you were concerned to visit the steps because of the neighborhood. I wouldn't let that worry you. I didn't find the neighborhood to be particularly bad. Actually, it's in Silver Lake, which is one of the gentrifying "hip" neighborhoods of LA (though most of that improvement is north of Sunset Blvd, a few blocks away).

Cheers!
MusicBoxSteps

Posts: 2 | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. Thanks for this! May I send this link to our local Sons Of The Desert Tent?

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to my DVD Laurel and Hardy collection, specifically Big Business, and checked out the two houses, the one the 'boys' filmed in, and the neighbor's house. Basic house design is there, with window changes and some alterations. How would I find out the exact address of the Big Business house, the one film that had me laughing all the way thru 3 and 4th grade...and beyond??

Braling II: I applied for membership in Sons of the Desert, but all I got in the mail was a promise to get back to me. That was some 15 years ago.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
...but all I got in the mail was a promise to get back to me. That was some 15 years ago.

The Sons are a little backed up on their membership drive.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
How would I find out the exact address of the Big Business house, the one film that had me laughing all the way thru 3 and 4th grade...and beyond??

10281 Dunleer Drive, Los Angeles.

Exactly two blocks from Ray's house, believe it or not!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

Brailing, you're more than welcome to send the link to anyone you think would be interested. Which Sons of the Desert tent is your local one? I'm in the Dancing Cuckoos, Detroit, Oasis 2.

Nard, I'm sorry to hear that the Sons didn't get back to you. The Way Out West tent is the big one in Los Angeles. They hosted that locations tour as part of their 40th anniversary celebration. Owing to their location, they've always had a lot of celebrities (former Laurel and Hardy co-stars, as well as Our Gang kids--though most have passed now). They're a very active tent and they have a great Web site at wayoutwest.org. There is also a listing of all the tents on that Web site.

Doug, that's cool that the Big Business house is close to Ray's house. Stan Laurel lived in that neighborhood for a short time as well (Cheviot Hills--a popular filming location due to its proximity to their Culver City studios). I didn't catch most of the site addresses while on the tour, though many of them are on imdb.com if you look up specific films.

Cheers!
Rob McCallum

Posts: 2 | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the guy who discussed taking me there at the time didn't like the neighborhood, but we didn't get together anyway, and I don't know if his opinion has changed as we have not been in touch much.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steps, the "local" tent is Midnight Patrol. If you go to their web site http://www.wayoutwest.org/sanjose/
you'll see that the "Next Meeting" is Sunday, November 27, 2005, so they're not all that active. I get their newsletter once in awhile, and attended a couple of meetings which I really enjoyed. At one meeting, the guest speaker was Ronald Fields, W.C. Fields' grandson!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Folks,

On Saturday night I stumbled across the Laurel and Hardy film where they deliver the piano up the huge flight of steps. I quickly told my kids, wife, and parents that it was a classic. We didn't catch the whole story, but saw about 10-15 minutes of it. Very funny, very entertaining, my kids thought it was funny that all the bad stuff kept happening to the "chubby" guy. Good, clean, comedy for the entire family to enjoy!

Posts: 83 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Music Box", one of the best!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post