Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    The Pedestrian

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Pedestrian
 Login/Join

posted
My opinion of the Pedestrian is that it is a very good story. It is inspiring to me because it makes me think of what the future really will be like. It's crazy how Bradbury thought about these things he wrote and they are now coming true! It is unbelievable! The character portrayed is also something that I really enjoy about the story. He is cool and laid back. He enjoys taking walks, just as we do now. I would suggest for people to read the story.

Question:
What is your opinion?

Choices:
It is a goody story.
I would suggest people to read it.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a a good story. I wish they would've told us some more about Mead, other then that no complaints. He gave very good details about the setting and you could easily visualize his walk down the lonly street looking at the houses with a glow of light coming from the tv's. Also the ending was unexpecting, to me anyway. It let you think on your own what happened to Mead.

Posts: 6 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 25 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with you Dinosaurs17, that The Pedestrian was a very good story. I enjoyed how even though the story was not very long, it still had descriptive detail and visuals. Before reading The Pedestrian though, I never really thought about how technology would isolate us in the future. It never occurred to me that the more technology increases; the less likely we are to be outside walking around like the main character Mead, and how we are more likely to be sitting in front of our televisions, at home instead. The Pedestrian did have points that technology is not always considered bad. For example, in the story, when Mead talks about how there is only one police car in the city left, that shows that the crime rate has decreased, that shows that technology increasing may have its advantages!

Posts: 5 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is true that the crime rate did decrease. Hopefully this will happen in the near future. I do have to agree with DW1109 and limegreen on how the setting and description of the story was intriguing. I do like how it explains the details of his walk and it tells is his thoughts about the world around him. He is seeing it differently than all of the others. I also like the explanations of what things feel and look like. For example, Mead says that the sidewalk is old and cracked. Although I not sure of the exact words he used.

posted Hide Post
For a book written in 1951 it's kinda freaky how it is almost predicting the future. We are getting more relying on technology to do everyday things. We use it so much we don't even realize how much we use it. When people don't know what to do, the majority would choose to go watch tv or go on the computer instead of going outside and do stuff with friends. I know there's alot of people that do choose to go outside but more and more people are chooseing technology over fresh air. "The Pedestrian" was the perfect example of that Mead was arrested for doing different and picking the better choice but since so many people got isolated by technology it was weird to see that someone was still living his life as he should.

Posts: 6 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 25 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the police car turn out to be completely automated? What do you think this means?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion I think this was an alright short story. I wish Ray would've explained more about the main character as well as the rest of the story. To me, he only explained the setting in depth, which was explained beautifully. I would've loved to know more about Mead. the only thing we readers really knew was that he was a writer andhe was different from everyone else in the story. He never passed anyone on the streets.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray to me explains Mead in "The Pedestrian", but in a different way. He tells you more about his actions rather than his appearance. I do agree that it would have been nice for Mr. Bradbury to explain his features better, but I myself could picture an image by the way he described Mead along with the setting. I thought it was neat how there was no actual police officer just a computerized robot, writing wasn’t considered a profession, and how no one was out on the streets. It leads you to wonder if that's how the future will actually be.

-flower03

posted Hide Post
The Pedestrian was a good short story. It was probably the one I enjoyed the most so far from out english books. Ray used a very creepy tone that set the setting of this story. He used the phrase "hands in pockets, through the silences.." He also said how how he felt alone in the world. Ray talked about being able to see flickering lights through the windows of homes. He made the reader understand the setting by putting a clear picture in their minds. I know I had a clear picture. Another think he did was think of things for the future that I found be interesting. He thought of having a police car with no officer in it. It makes you wonder. You wonder if it is going to happen. To be honest no one really knows if it is going to happen.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post