Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Bradbury-inspired Music
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury-inspired Music
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings -

A professional composer and a lover of certain Bradbury work, I wanted to make the members aware of a forthcoming CD upon which will appear one work directly inspired by his writing - specifically 'Dandelion Wine', and another which is deeply Bradburian in its ethosm "Count the Stars'.

These will appear amidst more than a dozen others all exploring the theme of other worlds, inner and outer.

The CD's title is: "Perchance to Dream: Lullabies, Visions & Awakenings', and will be available at this point directly from the composer at:

Music for Life
183 Winchester Road
Northfield, MA 01360

or

Marchello@rcn.com

Posts: 1 | Location: Northfield, MA | Registered: 10 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll look for it. What 'genre' - classical?
I wish Bernard Herrmann was still around to work with Ray on movies. He was a perfect match for both Orson Welles and Alfred Hitchcock; and his music for Truffaut's version "Fahrenheit 451" couldn't have been better for a Bradbury story (in my opinion).

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reviews of the music would be welcome.
Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi all !! New here to the board. There is a progressive metal band/project called Redemption and they feature a long epic titled "Something Wicked This way Comes."

Bryant

Posts: 2 | Registered: 20 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since we're on the subject of Bradbury-inspired music. I don't know if any of you have heard of the band At The Drive-in, but I noticed one of their songs that could have been a reference to Fahrenheit 451. Here are the lyrics...

Fahrenheit

kid creole killed all of his own people
instigate the beat genuflecting
in the steeple
video killed what we
once
stood for
who we gonna look to now?

if these walls could speak
i wouldn't tell them anything
don't ask me, don't ask me

press eject, and give me the tape
if you know what's good for you

ghetto blasting on the basement floor

I think it is fairly obvious which lines might be seen as references to "451"... Ask me if you don't see it though.

<A HREF="http://bradthegreat.blogspot.com/<br /><br /><br />Yo," TARGET=_blank>http://bradthegreat.blogspot.com/<br /><br /><br />Yo,</A> check out my site... It's Bitchin

Posts: 99 | Location: LaPorte, Indiana, United States of America | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of:

Jerry Goldsmith, long time friend of Mr B's, died, he was 75, RB help get Jerry G, career started over 50 years ago. The last piece he did for RB was CHRISTUS APOLLO, With Anthony Hopkins.

Later
Patrick

Posts: 89 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrick,

I didn't know of the connection between Goldsmith and Bradbury. Thanks for that information.

I had a roommate in college who was a big Goldsmith fan. Hearing some of his music, I can now see why.

(Odd how the great film critic, Roger Ebert, has allowed this passing to go unnoticed. Instead, he's run an old column on Bukowski. Well, maybe he'll address Goldsmith in the future. His passing is too great not to mention.)

Best,

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Christus Apollo is a really interesting work by Bradbury. Using the symbolism of the seven days of creation, he looks to the eight and ninth days as the days man goes into space and can then live forever.

"Christ is not dead
Nor does God sleep
While waking Man
Goes striding on the Deep"

Bradbury's interest and fascination with space seems tied to Mr. Electrico's "Live Forever". Bradbury seems to think that living forever, in part, is man's transcending earth's boundaries and going into space. We live forever, as a species, when we are not limited to Earth as our sole habitat.

I got the Christus Apollo CD off Amazon.com. I'd never heard of it before and enjoyed it. Bradbury wrote it, Goldsmith did the music and Hopkins did the narration. Pretty good collaberation.

Our newspaper had a notice on Goldsmith's passing and pointed out that he began his music training at six. He was trained in the classics (Bradbury "trained" himself in the literary classics); and went on to be nominated for 18 Academy awards (winning one for "The Omen")and got five Emmy awards.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an older ambient DJ Mix that was done in honor of (and enspired by) Ray Bradbury. I gave him a copy at the Black Ace bookshow in LA a few years ago.

Posts: 18 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too was saddened to hear of the passing of Jerry Goldsmith. It's amazing how many great films and great scores are in his filmography. (Even people who think they have never heard of him brighten up when you tell them he scored Planet of The Apes and wrote the themes for The Waltons, Star Trek Next Generation and Voyager.)

He has at least one other Bradbury connection: he wrote the score for The Illustrated Man (1969).

- Phil

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 07-27-2004).]

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph:

The CD's title is: "Perchance to Dream: Lullabies, Visions & Awakenings',

GASP!!!
Another STOLEN title!!!
what?
nobody cares that the title of that cd is not original?
huh.....(scratches beard)

.................God o' <br />Thunder...........

Posts: 70 | Location: US | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thormachine,

Perhaps it's because the title's not Bradbury's, a living author? Or haven't we had this discussion before? (Oops. Forgot to follow Mr. Dark's suggestion: Asked and answered.)

Best,

Pete

[This message has been edited by pterran (edited 07-27-2004).]

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thormachine. Let it go. Is this all you have?

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so the fact that the author is alive makes it illegal to use their title? I would think that that kind of homage to the living would be nothing but accepted.....not shunned....

Mr. Dark,
Why dont you give it up? I have plenty to talk about but obviously nothing you want to hear....why provoke me unless all you wish to do is insult me instead of argue with me?

.................God o' <br />Thunder...........

Posts: 70 | Location: US | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thormachine,

I didn't say using a title of a living author was illegal. Please familiarize yourself with some of the prior arguments we've had on this topic.

Best,

Pete

[This message has been edited by pterran (edited 07-28-2004).]