Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The VELDT
 Login/Join

posted
im confused about the ending in this short story..do the children kill the parents?

Posts: 7 | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't read that one in a while. From what I remember, the house was designed to accomodate anything the people inside wanted. The veldt was an amuzement park for the kids. They used the veldt to create animals that devoured the parents.

Of course, I read that book in high school, so my memory is fragmented.

Posts: 106 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the veldt, the children have the holograpic playroom become an African veldt. The allusion is that, because they are angry at the parents for not being allowed to go on a rocket trip a few months prior, they fashion the veldt to cause mortal harm to the parents. (The father finds his wallet, the mother hears a 'strangely familiar' scream in the background).

Along the same lines as 'The Bad Seed', the children have no compunction about causing harm to someone who has ticked them off. In the final scene, the family friend finds, I think, the mother's scarf. The parents who had previously been locked into the room are nowhere to be found. We must draw the conclusion that the kids, with too much power and too little conscience, did 'em in.

Posts: 3 | Location: Guangzhou, China; San Diego, CA | Registered: 29 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sociopaths: born or made?

In this story, certainly made.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post