Ray Bradbury Forums
Don't Let Fahrenheit 451 Come True!

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/9877061666

18 December 2014, 05:48 PM
dandelion
Don't Let Fahrenheit 451 Come True!
Not sure whether they can do this, but I just posted the following on the White House's Facebook page and hope it interests someone into making it a real petition! If someone here can make it one, please let me know, if not and someone else does, I will let you know and post a link here!

Dear President Obama, Respectfully, please seriously consider inviting the cast and crew of Sony's The Interview to the White House to premier their film in your own theater. They are Seth Rogen, Writer/Director/Star, Evan Goldberg, Writer/Director, Dan Sterling, Writer, and James Franco, Star. The American people will appreciate this great gesture towards these cinematic talents, which will show solidarity for freedom of expression and public artistic access, and is preferable to any unpleasant response! Thank you for your consideration and for the great job you are doing!

Let's be clear that I'm only advocating they show the film, not encourage assassinating foreign leaders. Submitted the same suggestion on the contact form at the White House's website so they should at least be sure to see it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,
19 December 2014, 02:17 PM
dandelion
Here is my formal petition to The White House!

https://petitions.whitehouse.g...ouse-thanks/vLn2wYFR

WE PETITION THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TO:
Please seriously consider inviting cast and crew of Sony's "The Interview" to premier it at the White House. Thanks!

Dear President Obama, Respectfully, please seriously consider inviting the cast and crew of Sony's "The Interview" to the White House to premier their film in your own theater. They are Seth Rogen, Writer/Director/Star, Evan Goldberg, Writer/Director, Dan Sterling, Writer, and James Franco, Star. The American people will appreciate this great gesture towards these cinematic talents, which will show solidarity for freedom of expression and public artistic access, and is preferable to any unpleasant response! This should be presented as a statement against censorship and terrorism and not as an endorsement of any message in or content of the film itself. Thank you for your consideration, for all the good you have done so far, and continue to strive to do.

Certain passages were added or reworded from my original draft as follows: "This should be presented as a statement against censorship and terrorism and not as an endorsement of any message in or content of the film itself." (Written to address any concerns of sending the wrong message!) "Thank you for your consideration, for all the good you have done so far, and continue to strive to do." (Worded that way because people may disagree as to the president's accomplishments but everyone can agree with this--win/win!)

Tagged with key words Terrorism, Censorship, Artistic Expression, Freedom of Thought, Public Civil Rights, Free Speech, American Integrity
20 December 2014, 03:21 AM
dandelion
Ten signatures so far on my Formal Petition to The White House! Only 99,990 to go before it receives serious review! COME ON, PEOPLE! WE CAN DO IT!!
20 December 2014, 05:16 PM
dandelion
As of December 19 we have 30 days to get 100,000 signatures in order for this petition to be reviewed by the White House. Until the petition has 150 signatures, it will only be available from the URL above, and will not be publicly viewable on the Open Petitions section of We the People. As of December 20 at 3:00 p.m., we have 12 signatures. Only 99,988 more to go! LET'S GIVE IT UP FOR THE GREATEST MOVIE NEVER SEEN!! Please share to all your family and friends, including internet friends!
20 December 2014, 11:47 PM
Mr. Dark
Good Idea.
21 December 2014, 03:01 PM
dandelion
Thanks! By my calculations we need between 3,333 and 3,334 signatures per day to achieve the goal. So far we have 13. But I figure if I contact 100 friends and they all contact 100 friends, well, you get the picture.
22 December 2014, 01:11 PM
dandelion
Here is a shortened link to the petition: http://wh.gov/irESu

Anyone who signs it, it is necessary to confirm your email address for your signature to show, thanks!
22 December 2014, 10:42 PM
dandelion
North Korea's entire internet was out most or all day. The Americans were suspected in some quarters, but I totally suspect them of blocking it to keep their own citizens from hearing anything from the outside world! If they can make the Americans look guilty at the same time, all the better!
24 December 2014, 06:19 PM
dandelion
At this point I'm not sure I would want to waste time and money seeing The Interview. Sony owes me a free ticket or a free copy of any DVD release for my efforts anyway. I tried making a statement and no one cared. Only 15 people bothered to sign the petition. Now, my siblings and cousins on my mother's side alone amount to 15 people--16 counting me--which is not counting other generations (mom, any surviving aunts and uncles, siblings' and cousins' children) or ANYONE from my father's side (who I also contacted), let alone real-life and internet friends. I beat my brains out for six days straight over this for practically no response and now Sony releases the film not only in independent theaters but online with no formal premiere at all, thus rendering my premiere proposal petition and all my efforts worthless. Also, it's been pointed out that Sony, as a Japanese company, does not represent the United States at all.

My Christmas is ruined and nobody loves me. Frowner
26 December 2014, 12:03 PM
Braling II
Well, I hope you're having a wonderful Boxing Day, Dandy!

All the best to you and yours.

(Maybe this little ditty will cheer you up?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOonKkGnNRI
26 December 2014, 05:12 PM
dandelion
A bit on the strange side, but well-intentioned I'm sure.