Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Young, Just read Fahrenheit 451...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Young, Just read Fahrenheit 451...
 Login/Join

posted
I've always loved reading books. I've been reading books since I was a little girl, and I've always been excited to explore new worlds and enter people's heads through books. Just read 451, and good god it's amazing. I love books, and could never imagine living in a world without them. It terrifies me to see a world where so many people just sit blindly in front of a screen, but it's reasurring that I can buy this book at a bookstore and be allowed to read it.

Also that there are bookstores.

LH

Posts: 1 | Registered: 26 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<harvey101blind>
posted
hey i couldn't agree more man

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ClarisseSherlock:
...it's reasurring that I can buy this book at a bookstore and be allowed to read it.

Also that there are bookstores.

For now...

Welcome, ClarisseSherlock!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was on jury duty last week; about half the people reading were doing so on some type of new fangled eBook. I was sitting against the wall. A woman with her beloved eBook ran out of power, reached into her purse and started looking for a power outlet. I offered up my seat while pointing out that my real book had not run out of power. We exchanged seats.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then, with her device plugged in, she selected one of the 30,000 books she had with her, while you carried on reading the only book you had. Big Grin

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same boat as you. I literally just finished the book less than half an hour ago. What has affected me so quickly, even more than the book, is the author's note after the story ended. It spoke truths to me I could only dream of expressing.
The problem of censorship, political correctness, and the loss of interest in reading has always seemed troublesome to me. It seems more and more people don't care about the important things in life: religion, philosophy, and reading. I have a close friend. He believes in a lot of the same things as me, and we are very similar in ideology and things, yet I found out today he had never even heard of 451. I was shocked! Even though I just read it, I knew of it a long time ago! It's a classic novel! Yet, for pure reasons of not being as well off as I am, and not being all that interested in reading, he had never even heard of the book.
People don't see the problems in going along the way they are. There are so many problems that are interconnected: the loss of interest in reading, a decline in the effectiveness in public school education, and political correctness are some major issues I see that are affecting everyone, whether they want it to or not.
I want to write Bradbury to discuss these things with him (but I can only find an email address). I want to discuss this with anyone who will listen to me. I want to TELL people what's wrong, and how we can save this world we live in. But no one listens to a junior in high school, not anyone that matters at least. Somehow, the world has to change, to get out of the mess it's in, because no one wants to end up in ashes to start the painful process of rebirth.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 28 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<harvey101blind>
posted
it is to me the loss of feeling the numbing of emotion and life in general , not so much just books. it makes me think was he psychic, or has evil always been lurking , gaining ground , and the deeper felt it and put a stinger to it's throat, and now we are just tired of it and allowing it to take form so we cane have a real fight again? i'm buzzed wassup

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amare:
I want to TELL people what's wrong, and how we can save this world we live in.

That's exactly what Ray's been doing for decades. They won't listen. He's trying to prevent the future, you see.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post