Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    young people and ray bradbury

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

young people and ray bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
having grown up with the works of ray bradbury, i feel that i am fortunate. working with middle school children i have become increasingly discouraged by their lack of interest in reading. in the program i work for we are required to read outloud to them for 15 minutes each day (not enough if you ask me). because of my love for bradbury, i have taken to reading his short stories from the various books i have. there are a select few of my students who love the stories and follow along, but the majority simply stare off into space and complain before i begin reading and when i am finished. in this age of game boys and unlimited internet access, it is getting harder and harder to get children to read and imagine things. i am trying my best to spark their interest, but i feel like a failure most of the time. it's not all bad...it simply makes my day when a couple of the kids come up to me and are excited about what i have chosen to read for that day.

Posts: 32 | Location: San Diego, CA, US | Registered: 10 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's really sad to hear. What grade in junior high do you teach? Where is your school located? I've read poetry and stories to my mom's 3rd grade class a few times over the past few years, and they just loved it! Perhaps if they had been sparked at a younger age, might they have taken to it more?

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KL:
As an English teacher I hear what you are saying. The s.s.'s of RB can hit many cords even in low motivation readers. Orally they can better experience the words and their poetic style. You may wish to get audio tapes so the class can read along. Of course, school libraries have access to extensive catalogs or inter-school loans.

Some that come to mind (on tape) include Golden Apples of the Sun, Illustrated Man, Martian Chronicles, F451, Dandelion Wine, and more. Nothing beats the written word in front of you for effect, however. Take your time and explain because their technological upbringing has not improved their understanding of figurative language or metaphor. (Age appropriate selections may also need to be taken into consideration.)

Stick with it. Your enthusiasm for the literature makes half of the lesson. There are some who will be moved by his works and forever remember you for igniting their appreciation of literature. Really!!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 03-02-2004).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keli Linda--Have you tried reading them "The Veldt?" My seventh graders love it! Also, they enjoy "Dark They Were and Golden-Eyed." Don't give up!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was forced (beaten) to read in grade 2; I cried and read and cried some more. In the end I began to read for pleasure. Never looked back since. If only physical punishment was still allowed...(a tribute to Ought Not)(I promise not to stain other threads like this again).
Cheers,
Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Translator,
There are, of course, two schools of thought on the subject. As a kid, my mom being a piano teacher, we (my sister, my self, and my two brothers) were all forced to learn piano. Yes, beaten too. And, of course we hated it. Only later did I appreciate it, and continue on, self taught. I taught myself guitar too. My youngest brother has done the same (althought he was not taught piano quite as forcibly) My other brother eventually picked up some music, but my sister never got into it. Works for some, I guess.

I have also heard that in some countries, (I think Denmark was among them?) children are not expected to learn to read until maybe 2nd grade. Beleive it or not, these countries have higher literacy rates! Perhaps americans are just pushing their kids to read too early. It's all theory, I guess, but they're doing studies. Then again, I learned how to read at an early age. Who knows. Once again, it probably differs from person to person.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only wish I was forced to do music too. I had a go at the piano a few times, but I just couldn't do it - Le Petit Chien or the Rondo a la Turka were just too hard for me, and I couldn't push myself to do something like Mary had a Little Lamb. I missed out.
In Poland, were were supposed to know how to read by grade 1; I remeber that I hid the first book I was ever given in the school bathroom, and told the librarian I lost it. Not only did my guardian have to pay for the book, but I had reading meetings scheduled with the librarian every Tuesday and Thursday. She was, to me, old and ugly, and I hated the book. I promised I would never read another book again. Then the story above happend, and here I am, with Bradbury under my belt.
Cheers,
Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi
I'm in my first year of uni doing a BA so I can get a "real" job (is univeristy called 'college' in US?- im Australian). I was first introduced to Bradbury in yr11 English(when i was 16). My teacher wasn't obsessively passionate about Ray but his overall enthusiasm for the subject intrigued me. We read 'All Summers in A Day' in class and then studied f451 over the term. It was one of the best books I have ever read. Unfortunately most of the class did'nt seem to care about the book much.
But I loved it and I hope those of you who are teachers out there will not be dissuaded in tryin to share Bradbury's great work with your students - even if they seemed bored out of their wits. Personally, I don't think I could have fully appreciated F451 at a much younger age. I really do think that learning abilities vary from person to person, especially when studying the arts - people need to draw on their own unique experiences to fully appreciate works of art.
I took piano lessons when I was nine. It was ok but too boring so I quit. Now music is one of my greatest loves in life, I [mostly] self-taught myself guitar to a competent level and I write my own songs. I think if people have a strong enough desire to seek out something that they feel is missing in their lives, they will eventually find it one way or the other. Isn't that what Montag did? And I'm sure your students will too.

Posts: 9 | Location: ACT, Australia | Registered: 26 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arcadia- How about this for gr. 9-12 RB titles I am able to present in a school year?
Dandelion Wine, Fahrenheit 451, Illustrated Man, Wonderful Ice Cream Suit (play), Something Wicked This Way Comes, writing units using Zen in the Art of Writing, Martian Chronicles, and stories from Golden Apples of the Sun-Body Electric-Dinosaur Tales. Yet, I still find time for the Bard, Steinbeck, Tolkein, Hemingway, Wells, Serling, and a very wide range of others.

RB is the man, however! No "dissuading, much persuading!"

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 03-26-2004).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's interesting to hear from teachers. I was hoping that we were hearing only from kids who weren't "getting it" and that there were plenty out there who were.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I "got it" just a few years ago. That's why I'm here now!

posted Hide Post
Hehe, sounds good fjpalumbo - keep up the good work

Posts: 9 | Location: ACT, Australia | Registered: 26 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keli, I am in Middle school, and if you came in and read Bradbury to us i would go up and hug you. seriously. we NEED more people like you. keep on trying!

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post