Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Bradbury inspired artwork
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury inspired artwork
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Ray also drew the cover for the Gauntlet Press limited edition release of THE ILLUSTRATED MAN. According to the publisher (Gauntlet), that was the first book in which his actual art was used for the cover.

Posts: 2470 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard:::

''Death is a Lonely Business"... with the drawing of a theater tipping in water....was on the cover of at least the ''first time in paperback'' edition published by Bantam Books... which is Ray's own artwork...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's illustrate this thread. Here's the Gauntlett Press "Illustrated Man":

Here is the Bantam edition of "Death is a Lonely Business". Nard may be right about this being based on a drawing by Bradbury, but the artwork is credited on the cover to "Sciacca":

Meanwhile, here are Ray's designs for "It Came From Outer Space"...

[IMG]http://www.gauntletpress.com/Images/ICFOS(Large).jpg[/IMG]

...and "The Cat's Pajamas":

By the way, I am wondering whether the latter will be re-titled "The Cat's PYJAMAS" when it appears in the UK.

- Phil

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 05-14-2004).]

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic, you're great! Many thanks! I have only one suggestion: Ray also did the cover for the Gauntlet Press re-issue of Dark Carnival. Can you round up a scan of that cover as well and edit your posting by adding it?

Posts: 2470 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures! The man is multi-talented!!

[This message has been edited by lmskipper (edited 05-14-2004).]

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard,

as requested, Ray's cover for the Dark Carnival special edition:

Most of the images I've posted above are simply links to the images on the publishers' web sites. But don't forget that there are loads of covers scans on my website (click on "books" to see them).

Any more requests?

- Phil

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 05-15-2004).]

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic--Thanks for the link to your website, it's wonderful. In 1994, most of my RB collection was lost in a fire, and it was good to see some of those Bantam covers again. Ever thought of doing a book? The Art of Ray Bradbury, with a companion sequel, Art Inspired by Ray Bradbury?

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of that was covered in Jerry Weist's "Bradbury: An Illustrated Life," though no one book could cover it all.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post