Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Bradbury inspired artwork
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury inspired artwork
 Login/Join

posted
Bradbury has been an influence on visual artists as well as writers. My rendition of the dust witch in her basket from 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' can be seen at http://www2.wcoil.com/~awlb/dustwitch2.jpg

It's a cropped section of a much larger piece but I'd be interested in some constructive criticism or opinion.

Anyone else inspired artistically by Bradbury?

Posts: 6 | Location: Delphos, Ohio | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, now why couldn't they have done something that good for the MOVIE? When a paper thrown into the fire flared in the shape of a hot air balloon, I thought that was going to figure later, but nooo...it was never mentioned again! Along with a lot of other things that would have gone great onscreen. All I can say is that Bradbury has been EXTREMELY encouraging and complimentary to visual artists in many, many different styles and mediums. Not once have I heard "Words form the pictures so what's the point of illustrations?" Quite the opposite, Bradbury has expressed great interest in illustrations, and, I strongly believe, been inspired by them. As you know if you've seen "The Ray Bradbury Companion" or "Dark Carnival," he's also tried his hand at art. It really helps in identifying with practitioners of any art to have tried it yourself!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moundshroud, that picture looks publishable.
Very detailed, and it could stand alone without understanding the novel.
I painted a mixed media watercolor of Tom Furys lightning rod being struck by lightning. I was able to give it to him at a banquet the day before Halloween. He has always provided visual metaphors that have begged to be drawn or painted. The true delight for me is the tapestry woven with his choice of words to create, and complete
so many conceptual mind paintings. You should keep at it your work looks like it is marketable.

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 03-07-2002).]

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was the picture wrapped, or did you get to see his reaction to it? What did he say about it?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually I'm not sure he's ever seen the picture, although I did email him and include a link to the picture using the address from this website. I did the picture about 10 years ago and it's roughly 24 X 36 inches in size and is still hanging on my wall. I would love to be able to have Ray see the picture in person, and sign it as well, but the picture is quite large, and California is a long way away. If I can, I'll try to get a small photo of the whole picture up on the web and include a link to it.

I did talk to Ray once, briefly, on the phone at about the same time, but it was in reference to some other artwork. That artwork can be seen at http://www2.wcoil.com/~awlb/brad.htm , if you're interested. Let me know what you think of this one, as well.

[This message has been edited by Moundshroud (edited 03-08-2002).]

Posts: 6 | Location: Delphos, Ohio | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's nice, too, but I was referring to the picture presented to him.

posted Hide Post
Dandelion, When I went in to get the ticket for the speech for the Halloween dinner the school district that had asked him to visit to also speak to local students had the painting framed. They had it on an easel close to where he was signing copies of his books before the dinner and speech. Before Ray spoke I was able to present it to him in front of over 400 in the hall, I was pretty speechless at the time, but he looked at the painting, and smiled aprovingly, and then I kinda looked at him and he held the painting in one hand, and gave me a hug, and I gave him a hug. I did not have time right then in front of every one to talk to much to him. After, briefly he did say thank you and I told him that I had loved his work for a long time. On this web site when I looked at the stills of his basement with all the other fan art that has been given to him I feel humbled that I could have even have given him my work. One of the professors at the university that I work at had given me pictures years later taken of the event, and I keep them in my office next to a Quote of Rays with his picture.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops, sorry for speaking out of turn. Guess I should follow the flow of the posts a little (ok, a lot) better.

Uncle, That must have been great. Was that this past Halloween?

posted Hide Post
The event was Halloween with Ray Bradbury
October 28th, 1996. Timbermine Restaurant.
The Ogden School Foundation had a dinner, and a reading for a $50.00 contribution per person. All of the proceeds benefited the children in the Ogden School District. When I found out that he was coming to speak I was so excited because I had thought he had died. Then I put my painting in a manila folder, and hurried to the school district office. After purchasing the ticket I asked them if they could give him the painting.
I was surprised to find out later that I was the first to buy a ticket, and that they had matted, and framed the painting better than I could afford, and they told me that I would be able to present it to him at the dinner. They also did a article about Mr Bradburys writings, and his speaking to the students in the local school district. I was also interviewed, and thrilled to be included in the same section with a picture of the painting of Tom Furys Lightning Rod.
His speech was wonderful that night because he is so full of life, he talked about how he met W.C.Fields when he was a boy. He also told us about writing F-451 on the pay typewriters in the basement of the UCLA library. It was really quite an experience.

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 03-12-2002).]

posted Hide Post
Sounds like a dream come true.

posted Hide Post
I was lucky. I checked out your website. I was quite impressed with your own illustrations, and graphic illustration signage. The concept of the authors, and their serigraphs is cool. This Fall, and Winter I had been voluteering time to paint murals in pediatric examination rooms of a state diabetic center. On to some other Bradbury art, there are some exellent illustrations in the collection called "Dinosaur Tales" published by Barnes and Noble, ISBN 0-76070-188-1.
I really love the work of William Stout illustrating A Sound Of Thunder. Steranko did some lovely drawings of the sea with the lighthouse. I think some of Mr Bradburys work would have been interperted aptly by symbolist artist Odilon Redon or other symbolists of that period.

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 03-13-2002).]

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 03-13-2002).]

posted Hide Post
Sometimes I wonder if only Salvador Dali could have done justice to some of the Martian stuff.

posted Hide Post
A question for people like
philnic
Richard
Dandelion...
..and others....

How many book covers has Ray actually painted or drawn?
The last edition of '''Dark Carnival''', with the errie scene, a Ray Bradbury painting, has prompted the question....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

interesting question... which would need a bit of research for a proper answer. I have noticed that the two Bradbury books scheduled for this year (It Came From Outer Space; The Cat's Pajamas) both have artwork by Ray. And Jerry Weist's book shows several covers where Ray at least did the preliminary designs, which were subsequently adapted by "proper" artists.

- Phil

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's what he almost always does. Sketches and describes cover designs to be given to artists.