Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    A Sense of Guilt
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Sense of Guilt
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
dandelion,

Have you ever seen the movie where Richard Dreyfuss is an aspiring author?

No, but the scene you describe is uncannily like Joe Mugnaini's illustration of "The Wonderful Death of Dudley Stone" in "The October Country," and like what "Charles Dickens II" does in "Any Friend of Nicholas Nickelby's is a Friend of Mine."

It is also much like a scene from Ray's own life. Just before being married, Ray burned over a million words he had written. He's always said it was all bad writing, and he was glad he burned it. Some writers need to crank out a lot of "trash" before the "treasure" is reached. We can all be thankful Ray didn't become discouraged, when there were times he could have!

As a matter of fact, I haven't even seen "Mr. Holland's Opus," but I understand its lesson to be much the same as that of Rabbit's EXCELLENT and spot-on post: that the mere act of creativity and finishing a work is a learning experience. I know it is with every musical production our local theater has put on--we are not Broadway, but it's a positive experience for EVERYONE involved, including the audience!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know what? I say do what you NEED to do the best you can, before you get kicked off the planet!
(Advice I hope to take to heart myself in 2007!)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rabbit:
But I'll _never_ write the Great American Novel...

Don't feel too bad, Phil - it's already been written. It's called Dandelion Wine, and it celebrates its fiftieth anniversary in 2007!

(I'll have to email Ray a happy anniversary post on that day - anyone know off-hand what day it was published on?)

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Ray Bradbury Companion" says the month was September, 1957, so perhaps anniversary greetings could be included with, or just after, birthday ones.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aren't you kind? Thanks!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rabbit:
[QUOTE]Oh. My. God... Are you by chance a certain Phil working on a piece of artwork related to a book of mine?

Rabbit, sorry to have shocked you! No, you don't know me. I just happen to have seen some of your stuff on sale on Amazon.com. I don't know how it came to my attention, but I just remembered seeing it, and put two and two together (then went back to Amazon to confirm my hunch).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 01 January 2007 08:33 AM Hide Post

Rabbit, sorry to have shocked you! No, you don't know me. I just happen to seen some of your stuff on sale on Amazon.com. I don't know how it came to my attention, but I just remembered seeing it, and put two and two together (then went back to Amazon to confirm my hunch).

- Phil

My heavens...

No, don't apologize for shocking me; it's one of the nicest things that's happened to me after a long year filled with nice things, writing-wise. I _never_ thought I'd have my work recognized by a stranger, you see. Never!

THANK YOU!

If I could, I'd send you free copies in gratitude. But, Amazon isn't set up for that yet.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 28 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post