Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    King Kong...and Omaha, Nebraska!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

King Kong...and Omaha, Nebraska!
 Login/Join

posted
I recently watched the original, 1933 version of the film KING KONG. And whenever I now see that film, it brings back wonderful memories of a long weekend back in late May of 1998. I have mentioned this event a few times in the past on the Board, and posted the link below many years ago, but thought I would include it again for the benefit of any newcomers. There was a wonderful weekend in, of all places, Omaha, Nebraska back in 1998. There was a theater there (sadly torn down since that time to build a parking lot!) that had one of the very last huge Cinerama screens, and local impresario Bruce Crawford arranged a 65th anniversary tribute to, and screening of, the original KING KONG at the theater. Guests of honor for the event were Forrest J Ackerman, Ray Bradbury, Ray Harryhausen and writer Greg Bear. The original KING KONG is, of course, a film which the two Rays and Forry all loved. The sold-out screening of KING KONG was on a Saturday night. On the Friday night before, there was a ticketed event to raise funds for a local charitable organization that provided care for children in need, where fans could sit and and chat with the guests of honor for a few hours and which I was able to attend. Such great memories! Attached below is the link I previously mentioned, with some photos. The photo at the very bottom is my favorite: three childhood chums Forry, Ray B. and Ray H. all dressed up in their finest, hamming it up for the cameras, and obviously having a great time!

http://www.omahafilmevent.com/past/kong.htm

And here is a link to the poster created especially for the event:

http://www.omahafilmevent.com/past/commemart/Kong.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

Posts: 2470 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, those guys all went to Omaha?

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury told me later that he loved Omaha!

posted Hide Post
As noted above and at various other places on this Board, the 1933 version of KING KONG was one of Ray Bradbury's favorite films. And PS Publishing has just released a new book, KING KONG: AN ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY, by Edgar Wallace. It looks fantastic! The signed, limited edition is already sold out, but the trade hardcover, priced at only 25 U.K. pounds, is still available. For more information about the book, including how to order, click on the link below:

https://www.pspublishing.co.uk...&utm_term=2023-03-17

posted Hide Post
While the 1000-copy trade edition of PS Publishing's KING KONG was listed as being available when I made the post immediately above earlier today, the book is now, as of this posting, listed as "out-of-print" on the publisher's website. If you are still interested, you may want to periodically check the PS Publishing website to see if any additional copies turn up.