Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Ray had once said...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray had once said...
 Login/Join

posted
He does not believe in university education, rather, he told, he believed in libraries more. Having grown up in the Great Depression era he nor his family had any money to attend college like most university aged young adults then. Mr. Bradbury spoke of going to libraries instead and learned most of what he knew from them and the countless amount of information in each and that it was free as well. Does anyone agree or disagree with what he had said then? I am one who agrees with Mr. Bradbury, especially having known some graduates from universities who have still not been able to find employment in their field of study. Also, my parents nor I was able to afford going to college (at least not to finish)so I had turned to libraries and reading a wide range of authors too. I often helped my friends who had taken out large loan ammounts of money to attend universities write their papers and proof read them. I am in no way self-gloating, however, I believe in libraries and one's own will to learn and succeed and not have to pay an exuberant ammount to do so.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 22 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe in both formal and informal education. I have been engaged in some kind of formal education nearly all my life (currently doing a PhD), but there are large areas where I am entirely "self-taught" - which really means taught from books and other published resources.

The danger of the autodidact is that the education can be ill-informed and misdirected. The glory of it, though, can be its eclecticism.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very well said, Phil. By no means did I want to imply a uselessness in formal education. While I have known some who never even went into their college directed line of work, I have known some who have and have flourished. I agree with you about the importance of formal and informal both having their worth and always look forward to an educated reply from you. I wished we could sit and have some coffee or vino some day and talk but... And you're also correct when you say it gets quiet here sometimes. Where are all of the Bradbury fans?

posted Hide Post
Sorry, but going to college was the best thing I ever did. I almost didn't go due to what Ray said, but my dad convinced me, and finally I went to have access to the college library. Ray tended to be too adamant on one side of an argument without seeing the other--and I notice it didn't stop him from speaking at colleges and universities and being highly paid to do so.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a fruitful albeit, short time at college and especially the library there as well. Having English Lit. as my major I spent a good deal of time combing the shelves. Thanks for the info Dandelion. I am learning more and more each time I come here.

posted Hide Post
Ray was usually right in what he said, but as I say could be one-sided and stubborn, and sometimes even contradicted himself. Hate to have to say it but it's true. You're welcome, if you want to know something, just ask.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with dandelion. All education is valuable; it doesn't matter where you get it. Ray had a point, no doubt, but as he often did, he fired himself up with it and overstated it some.

Still ... I have three degrees, and most of the knowledge and wisdom I have today is unrelated to any of them.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, let's not confuse knowledge and wisdom with formal education. K & W accrue from the synthesis of every experience, no matter how that experience comes about!

As for rayreader1's remark about careers, I have had a far from linear career path. The story of my life is a zig zag. My first (attempt at a) degree was in physics***, but on discovering the university library - which was far vaster than any I had previously seen - I became more deeply interested in other subjects. I now wish I had another five or six lifetimes, so that I COULD have a career in physics, and another in biology, and another in history, and another in eng. lit., and another in film-making...

But even that's not enough. I can think of another five at least.

*** The next was in screenwriting, and the current one is in "Ray Bradbury".

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rayreader1:
...I wished we could sit and have some coffee or vino some day and talk but...

Stranger things have happened!

- Phil