Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Is anyone else?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is anyone else?
 Login/Join

posted
Not sure where this goes.

I'm just wondering... are there any other writers on the boards here? Have any of you been inspired to be a writer directly due to Ray?

Peace,

~ LordShen

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All right, writer roll call! I did write a book, which I published myself after no publisher would take it. It's still available, just email me for details if interested. I haven't published anything since but have never stopped working and hoping, and it's almost entirely due to Ray and his great and wonderful influence, encouragement, and inspiration!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had quite a few articles published in magazines and journals; once wrote a booklet to accompany a set of drama CDs. Used to write short stories, but never tried to publish. Also a few scripts and radio plays, again never attempted to publish.

I have been inspired to write INDIRECTLY due to Ray. He was the first author I read that led me to realise that writing could be more than just reporting or describing. Ray plants seeds on the page that flower in the reader's head

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nearest to my being published was when editor Avram Davidson of 'The Magazine of Fantasy and Science-Fiction' wrote, in his long hand written rejection ...'almost', and 'better written than most of the stories we reject'. Subsequent submissions to Avram received written responses as well, but no sale. Later, while living in San Francisco, I would visit Avram who lived across the Bay in Sausilito. Eventually got a short story in a local literary magazine published by a friend of Avram's. Remember the name of the publication as 'The Humanist'. The title of the story escapes me at the moment, but it had to do with a young lad who lived in a completely antiseptic planet, and sought after that rare person having a disease, thereby being infected even with the least infection or scrape, and thus experiencing the discomfort and the pain of illness.

Later I self published three newspaper editions of The 'Interplanetary New Paper Witness', a mostly poetic 'high-ho' vision of space travel, writing most of the articles, tho writer Algis Budrys wrote a short article especially for the 3rd issue.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am a professional writer, photographer and fine artist. I recently published an interview with Ray in the Book Section of the San Antonio Express-News (Texas being my former home, LA being my current and deeply beloved REAL home).

(To access that interview, go to MySA.com, go to "archives" and type in "Ray Bradbury." It was in the November 30, 2005 edition.)

Incidentally, the entire interview is much longer than what the SAEN published, and I intend to re-sell the piece in its entirety. If anyone wants to suggest a publication to approach, come on!

I have worked primarily for magazines, newspapers and business-related websites.

I used to publish a music industry magazine in Austin, Texas.

And--start the drum roll--I moved out here to further my life-long dream of writing science fiction. I read Dandelion Wine, The Illustrated Man, A Medicine for Melancholy and so forth when I was a child and teen, and yes, sometimes had to read under the covers by flashlight after Lights Out--until I got vociferous enough to lobby for the right to read as late into the night as I wished.

Ray himself inspired one of my coolest stories, entitled "My Mr. Electrico," and I am currently seeking a publisher for the piece.

I'm working on short stories, plays, television scripts and screenplays. Hey! I remind myself of Ray!

The man has been a very kind and gracious inspiration for me, and I consider myself to be richly blessed to be in his acquaintance.

The Power of Love moves through his passion for life, and the number of people he has inspired is legion.

There I go preaching to the choir again!

Posts: 52 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
N.K. Love,

Your background is fascinating. Are you the same Nancy Love who has those monochrome and color photographs online? If so, they are creative and wonderful. I hope someone publishes your longer interview.

I, too, am a writer and a very, VERY amateur photographer.

Ray Bradbury's writing and his sense of wonder have had a profound and transforming effect on me. I'm sure they always will.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: The Lake,

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Ray inspired me to write. After I'd read Martian Chronicles in the latter part of grade school, I couldn't help myself. Since then, I've always written on a regular basis. Sometimes, people actually paid me.

From '79 to '82, I wrote and produced radio ads. In 1990, I wrote a year's worth of weekly free-lance news features, plus a weekly filler column.

Completed a children's picture book dummy layout and tried to sell it about 7 years ago, and received praise but no publishers from 35 submissions. Have more children's, a few ss, and many poems written, plus four chapters into a novel, etc, etc. My regular job keeps me from writing as much as I'd like. Keep telling myself, my time's coming. Just need to jump, and build some wings.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Mr. Lake...or may I call you "The"? Thank you so much for your generous comments--yes, my fine art photography website is at www.nancylove.net. There is a sample of my writing there as well, in my pro-planet artist's philosphical treatise, on the webpage entitled "Statement."

And ravenswake, please follow your bliss. And keep trying with your book--somewhere I read or heard (I think Sam Weller said this at the SoCal Writer's Conference recently) that Ray Bradbury sent work to 40 publishers, got all rejections, then started over at the top of the list, submitted the same work to the first publisher he had approached, and got an acceptance! Anything can happen. Even to you!

And Nard Kordell, the idea of publishing a paper called the "Interplanetary...Witness" intrigues me greatly. Perhaps those of us on the board should conspire to start it up again?
NASA can use all the encouragement it can get.

Could we change the name a bit? Suggestions:
"The Interplanetary Observer"
"The Constant Cosmic Report"
"The Trans-Galactic Tribune"

Ah, Bradbury fans! We're always thinking...

Posts: 52 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
N.K.Love:
I'd venture to say there's a ton of talent visiting this website daily, pertinently driven by an early dose of Bradbury inspiration.

Along the way, I've even gotten into oil painting. (Attached a sample.) Original of this one is about 15+ inches wide. Along with music composing, etc.

I'll snap a photo or two of the old 'Interplanetary New Paper Witness' next few days and post it. Hey, would be a blast to ressurect it. Actually I thought of 'Interplanetary Observer' few years back. Friend of mine published a magazine called, 'The Observer', and a husband and wife living right next door to me in Fullerton, California, published a Fullerton newspaper called..yep, 'The Fullerton Observer'! And all that, along with 'Interplanetary Life' and a few other names. At the time it just seemed to fit, that original name...

ImageArt_Work_Index.jpg (42 Kb, 9 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooooh, neat!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
N.K,

The statement on your website resonates with me. I especially like that you have chosen to "...serve Beauty." So many stunning photos to admire: Woodfish, Real or Imagined, Carousels and Ferris Wheels, among many others.

Nard,

Your painting is beautiful.

Just,
Lake

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I a writer? Yes. Am I published? Only once.
I was certainly inspired by Bradbury. I read Fahrenheit 451 in fifth grade and have been reading his work ever since. Now, in my freshman year of college, I'm the only girl in an entirely male science fiction literature class and can give my work to those who think like me.
Bradbury changed my life, my way of thinking, and influenced my style of prose. I am so indebted to him that I have no way to thank him.

"For once the shadows gave way to light. For once I didn't disengage!" - RENT

Posts: 1 | Location: U of M | Registered: 07 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lake, Thank you so much. In my visual art I serve Beauty, and in my writing I serve Peace. My science fiction is not meant merely to entertain, but to stimulate ideas about how people might live, individually and in societies, if they operated by a higher, broader system of values. I envision a world in which there truly IS a "Family of Man."

Nard, Your visual art is stunning, and that painting is nothing short of Other-worldly! Where did you go for inspiration? Venus? Mars? I looked at your website once, with all those wonderful photos of Ray and some of your other paintings--can you please post your web address again?

Also, I'm really liking the "Interplanetary Observer" idea. Perhaps we can use photos from the Hubble telescope--the ultimate interplanetary observer.

posted Hide Post
N.K.Love:

Hey, thanks for your kind words.

I'm dumping the old website and creating a brand-new one. Probably within the month...along with much better resolution on the paintings for instance. The old website fell far short. Paintings are actually created first on plate glass, then transferred to one sheet of heavy weight high-gloss paper. March 1st, Lord willing, will be moving back to Southern California after having been gone too long.

Current website: http://www.catchaway.com

posted Hide Post
Nard,
Such good news! When you get here: Welcome home. Smiler

Email me or call when you are a local again.
(Contact info is on my site.)