Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Halloween is in Full Summer Bloom!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Halloween is in Full Summer Bloom!
 Login/Join

posted
Mog the Dog here.

Bradbury's Dandelion Wine, together with his love for all things Halloween, has inspired me to take notice that Halloween is in full bloom today in this neck-o-the-Land-o-Plenty woods, approximately 38.2 miles south southwest of Allendale, California:

The pumpkin vine emerged from the remains of last year's Jack-o-Lantern, which we buried in the chicken manure compost pile just before Christmas.

The male flowers (which arrive first in order to be absolute first) are in full bloom now but will wither and die before the first females arrive on the scene. Their brilliant orange effort is not all for naught, though, because they have managed to attract the bees and flies and gotten them used to the habit of coming each day for a free meal.

Sometime within the next week or so, the first fruit will set, and in the setting, will bring the first real glimpse of Halloween, 2010, into full view.

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way kewl.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's great to see you again, Mog! Please keep us posted on the development of this fruit of the vine!

Posts: 77 | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Viktoria,

Mog the Dog here, surveying the state of affairs in the pumpkin patch on this fine first day of August:

It has taken just two short weeks for this little embryonic chunk of Halloween, 2010, to grow as tall as I.

It's alive! It's alive!!!!

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awww... a pumpkin fetus - how cute!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mog the Dog here, taking a moment to check in on the pumpkin. It is orange now but still growing. It is starting to look a bit lumpy. I wonder if that is due to inconsistent watering or just pumpkin genetics.

I better quit wondering and start heading for the car so I do not miss out on the trip to Glendale.

Looking forward to seeing some of you this evening at the celebratory dinner.

MTD