Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    ReRead Martian Chronicles
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ReRead Martian Chronicles
 Login/Join

posted
Biplane sent me this image. My freind, also a RB fan, said, "That's the torch of knowledge."

It sounded so familiar, that I believed him. I recently reread the Martian Chronicles, and there is no torch of knowledge, at least not literally. I pointed this out to him, and he said that the image of the man is the same man who joined the martians, and killed his own crew members. And the torch he holds represents sceince, art, for the sake of sceince and art. You know knowledge in it's purest form.

Will somebody please shed some light on this subject.

[This message has been edited by Faler (edited 01-20-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Faler (edited 01-21-2005).]

Posts: 106 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the Martian Chronicles' chapter entitled "..And the Moon Still Be Still As Bright", Spender's revelations after he has spent time in the distant Martian hills definitely seem to parallel what you are commenting on. I recall he had discovered and read extensively from the ancient libraries where crystal texts held all the answers humans would ever need.

This Magnaini illustration may be metaphorically capturing this concept in the "torch" form: man's buring desire for knowledge, maybe!? (Ah, but what to do with once he has it???) Though Magnaini did countless pieces of art on RB's characters and scenes, I have found it difficult to get much information on the interpretations behind the art.

Interestingly, this image you have attached, Faler, is the very first letterhead on which Mr. Bradbury communicated with me and some of my HS students back in 1996! To think that he frequently corresponded with countless fans to that extent is a comment on the man's love for what he does and those who follow his efforts.

Nice post in sharing biplane's image!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 01-20-2005).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should we be displaying Ray's address here? It seems discourteous. dandelion?

Phil
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, I concur wholeheartedly! It caught my attention and I too was concerned especially now that Mr. B's privacy and time is more important than ever!

Maybe Faler or Dandelion could go in quickly add some white out!! I will do an edit of my own post now to minimize the chances.
f

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 01-20-2005).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't we have trouble with this 'Faler' user name on previous postings? Good judgment is obviously on vacation here.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone else knows how to edit an image. The only thing I know is to delete the whole link.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me, that picture looks like it could go with the early chapter called "Ylla," where the jealous Martian husband goes out to kill the astronaut from the very first expedition. It was described like this: "...he held the evil weapon in his hands, considering it. It hummed constantly, an insect hum. From it hordes of golden bees could be flung out with a high shriek. Golden, horrid bees that stung, poisoned, and fell lifeless, like seeds on the sand." But yes, please get rid of Ray's address, even if it means losing the entire post. Nard, don't be hard on Faler. He's brought lots of interesting topics and ideas to the board and has shown nothing but respect for Ray, unlike some of the other yahoos we have sometimes been inundated with. I'm guessing he didn't even know that address was a personal address.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imskipper:

Okay maybe I'm wrong here about Faler. I'm taking your word for it Imskipper. There has been so many goofs on this board that the shell shock has vibrated important segments of recall in my noggin. Sorry!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.weblogimages.com/v.p?uid=Faler&pid=265486&sid=giH98hquM1

Here it is edited. The old link is dead.

Nard, the other day, a woman was lecturing me about how I wouldn't get into heaven. The reason being, is because I plan on going over seas to teach physics, because a community college degree isn't enough to teach in the states.

This woman was a heroin bitch who had beat her kids. That's just the tip of the ice burgh. She's wasting away of cancer now, good riddance.

It's always the person quick to point a finger, quick to jump on an accusation that has the most skeletons in their closets, and the most seriouse mental health issues.

Think about it. Do you see a mirror in another's eyes?

Posts: 106 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imskipper,
the jealous husband did come to my mind as well. But, the face of the individual doesn't match the mask described in the book.

However, the artist could have been using artistic license.

I think this image, if it does represent the torch of knowledge, would make a fine tattoo on the right hand side of my lower torso. It would flow well with my body, with the way the background looks. The human canvas is three dimensional, something a lot of tattoo collectors forget.

posted Hide Post
Faler,

Many thanks for editing the image so that it can be enjoyed without invading Mr B's privacy, and for acting so quickly.

Phil
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Faler:

I'd have to go back and re-read your posts that others say have exemplified you to a worthy Bradbury standard to take their word for it right now. After reading your above post, I think you're ten miles from a full meal. Even out of the mouth of a mule
beaten comes knowledge.

posted Hide Post
To my fellow Ray Bradbury web site contributor's I apologize for the oversight in not "whiting out" Ray's address on the letterhead sent to the young exchange student explaining about F451 which, as an attachment I forwarded to Mr. Faler. But I think some overreact. As some have pointed out Ray's address is available on other web sites. I doubt that many are goling to hop into their car, fly or go by train to the L.A. area to go see Ray. As for sending a letter, he still gets hundreds a week from fans.

I forwarded the image to Faler to answer a legitimate question he had and I didn't realize that he posted the image on the web site and I certainly don't fault him for doing that as Ray's thoughts and ideas are certainly to be shared among ourselves.

So, in the future I will take precaution in any further "sharing" of information.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it was just an accident all around. People here are basically good and there has been a pretty judicious effort to safeguard his privacy. I'm sure he and his family appreciate it.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And may I say, for about the hundredth time, but still with all due respect to my fellow Bradbury lovers: It's LLLLLLLLLmskipper, not IIIIIIIIIIIIImskipper.
Thank you,
Lana (not Iana)

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post