Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
theoctobercountry
Oh Yeah? Like what?

Well, during some of Dobson's statements on homosexuality, for instance...

(Edited to say, I was looking for the clip on-line where you could actually hear Dobson's comments, but now I cannot find it...sorry...)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: theoctobercountry,

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox: "...I'd say blame it on Paul the Apostle, or Christ, or somebody. Don't blame it on Dobson."

I'm afraid you may have mis-read my post. I was making a very specific point, that being that Dobson complains when Obama quotes outmoded passages of scripture---while Dobson himself quotes the same passages when they conveniently support his own viewpoint. That, in my opinion, makes Dobson a hypocrite.

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, again, give me an example of Dobson's hypocricy! Or are you just blowing steam?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, again, give me an example of Dobson's hypocricy! Or are you just blowing steam?

I'm confused by your statement, since I very plainly stated my viewpoint in the previous post.

To reiterate... Logically, one cannot complain about another's use of Old Testament passages---passages that have been superseded and made irrelevant by subsequent New Testament writings---and then turn around and use those same Old Testament passages to give support to their own viewpoints.

posted Hide Post
Dear theoctobercountry

We are happy to inform you that you have been accepted in The BlowingSteam Club. Shortly you will be receiving an email designating the times and places where meetings are held in your general area.

Sincerely

The BS Club

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
theoctobercountry~

I've followed Dr. Dobson for years. He's one of the good guys. What what did he do to get your ire up? In other words, not as broad brush strokes, but reiterate the 'exact' happening that you are referring to.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dear theoctobercountry

We are happy to inform you that you have been accepted in The BlowingSteam Club. Shortly you will be receiving an email designating the times and places where meetings are held in your general area.

Sincerely

The BS Club

quote:
Originally posted by The Denver Post:

From article Dobson accuses Obama of 'distorting' Bible:

Dobson and Minnery accused Obama of wrongly equating Old Testament texts and dietary codes that no longer apply to Jesus' teachings in the New Testament.

"I think he's deliberately distorting the traditional understanding of the Bible to fit his own worldview, his own confused theology," Dobson said.

"... He is dragging biblical understanding through the gutter."

Yet Dobson also uses the very same text --- Leviticus --- as a justification for homosexuality's condemnation.

I believe that's what octobercountry meant.

"whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council..."

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:

Thank you, Nico; you've summed it up very nicely, and I appreciate your input. Apparently I was not as clear as I could have been, in stating my viewpoint.

I am a bit saddened by the lack of civility to be found in some responses to my thoughts, however.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Ever heard of the New Testament?

Isn't that the one that came after the Old?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's biblical.
Romans 1: 18-27 [Homosexual practices are sinful.]
1 Corinthians 6: 9-10 [Homosexual behavior has no place among Christians.]

I'd say blame it on Paul the Apostle, or Christ, or somebody. Don't blame it on Dobson.

Reminds me of something a very respected Catholic theologian, Fr. John Corapi, said recently. He said, 'You know, when I meet a homosexual I say to them, I'd like to tell you that we have something in common. And they'll say, What's that? And I'll say, we are both called to celebacy."

Very VERY politically incorrect nowadays isn't it?

_______
theoctobercountry
Nico:

Well, Dobson has often quoted the above New Testament passages as well. Good grief. There's other related New Testament passages as well. Do you think because it's in the Old Testament it's no longer in the New Testament as well. No way, Jose'!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:
Kind of hypocritical...

They often are.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This whole debate has brought up an interesting question: If it were possible to nearly guarantee that your child was born heterosexual, would you consider corrective pre-natal hormone treatments?

Within a few years, this will be quite possible.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...BlowingSteam...

Are we sure that's what BS stands for?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:
I'm confused by your statement, since I very plainly stated my viewpoint in the previous post.

That's funny.

quote:
To reiterate... Logically, one cannot complain about another's use of Old Testament passages---passages that have been superseded and made irrelevant by subsequent New Testament writings---and then turn around and use those same Old Testament passages to give support to their own viewpoints.

That's OK, october, I get it, and so do most others. It's only a few that don't.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:
Yet Dobson also uses the very same text --- Leviticus --- as a justification for homosexuality's condemnation.

There you go! Thank you.

"Live Forever!"