Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Nico
Leviticus 18:22 says "Do not lie with a man as one would lie with a woman, that is detestable"
How much clearly can you get?

Posts: 27 | Registered: 12 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And what do you mean by pharisee tic-tac-toe? Are you calling me a pharisee?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Faith:

If man and woman were designed by God only to reproduce, why would eunuchs be born, and why would the Christ call so many of his children to celibacy?

quote:
And what do you mean by pharisee tic-tac-toe? Are you calling me a pharisee?

No, not you, just the game we all seem to play so often.

The slinging of biblical law in each other's faces like so much stardust microscope-examined into mud.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No I don't believe we were created merely to have sex. I believe that we were created to praise God and Christians called to share the Gospel. (Plus get closer to God and other things to numerous to mention) And eunuch's births are the result of sin in the world. Hmmm.. I suppose Christ calls his children to celibacy as a form of metamorphism to be willing to give up anything for him. I know in Catholicism priests are called to take vows, but I don't think God told them to do that. I think that they might blivet that by avoiding sexuality it makes them less venerable to sin. (Like in books when people chop off limbs to not do something. example-someone chopping off a hand so they can't steal)

posted Hide Post
My response on celibacy is not factual so if you know please tell me. I will be more than happy to hear you out.

posted Hide Post
quote:
My response on celibacy is not factual so if you know please tell me. I will be more than happy to hear you out.

It would seem that some are called to celibacy, while on the other hand all men are called to populate the earth. Read it from one angle, and there is a contradiction. But there are many ways of reading, and it is not my place to say which is correct.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr Faith, the reasons that Leviticus can be pretty thoroughly disregarded are given in great detail earlier in this thread, I believe, if you care to do a little backtracking.

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nico, the question I have is, what on earth is meant, exactly, by the term "eunuch"?

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today's '''popular cultural''' generation as a whole is on a fast track to die early:
Die emotionally, spiritually, soulfully

Everything has gone nano-micro from the 'sound bite' to an abbreviated text message, to a 'tweet'. Truth for many in our popular culture is not even an imaginary friend anymore. Personally, I came out of that hippie-generation ...and maybe that's where the playing field began to tip dramatically for many towards hell.

This little board-clique here is like a bunch of birds 'tweeting' to each other and I, unfortunately, am certainly one of them. Has it become a sort of word-sword play? Who can chop who's vowels or punctuations out from under them and make what they said seem so silly?

Some people... will not give up seemingly holy and dear 'things' to find truth. And so they grow into a pre-destined mind-set that has little truth and all is sown into some super-self serving-ideology that find roots in, among other things, simply nasty personal habits and attitudes.

Who here takes time to study the "great minds" without coloring their wisdom with a bias?

Even the very definition of "great minds" becomes a debate. Forgotten is the fact the everyone has some ring of truth in what they say or write or sing or lecture about!! But it is the deeper meaning still to isolate and present that "truth" that adheres itself everywhere, without tearing it down or breaking it down to fit personal philosophies and life-styles.

Truth does not fit anyone's personal agendas. Truth fits only its own, tho it is present in the minds and hearts of every single person that is alive today.

No one has their truth, or their own personal box of truths, like that famous box of chocolates. But that's what today's popular culture is teaching the kids and even the older generation. Maybe it began to be popularized long before the hippy generation or the Beatnik generation.

Truth permeates every living cell and exists apart from creation and at the same time a vital part of creation.

Truth never is chiseled into something else, colored to look differently, rearranged to appear less or more. Truth is what it is and on the deepest level...not open to a personal interpretation. Can it be described in bare and brutal terms without one's personal expression?

Is truth expressed only what an artist can hopefully aspire to paint or a writer imagine to impart with words of poetry or excellence, or a musician create to convey? Truth thus is attempted to be 'heard' thru vocal chords, or 'seen' thru the craft of a painter and a paint brush, or read by the written word; or seen even in nature, as a flight of a bird, or mountains, or forests, or sunlight, stars, or heavenly galaxies.

But truth is apart from all this: It dwells in absolute perfection.

You look, you listen. You stand in awe!!!!!!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Uh-oh, philnic's been at the religion thread again!

I know. I keep trying to avoid it, but I'm often drawn to take just one peek, especially when it's the only thread that's been updated.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Mr Faith, have you ever read anything by that author named - er, whatshisname - Ray Bradbury? Or are you just on this board for that ol' time religion?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
...especially when it's the only thread that's been updated.

Uh-oh, philnic's reprimanding us again for spending too much time at the religion thread! Big Grin

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Hey, Mr Faith, have you ever read anything by that author named - er, whatshisname - Ray Bradbury? Or are you just on this board for that ol' time religion?

I like that the British are a funnily dry peoples.

Funnily is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Today's '''popular cultural''' generation as a whole is on a fast track to die early:
Die emotionally, spiritually, soulfully

Everything has gone nano-micro from the 'sound bite' to an abbreviated text message, to a 'tweet'. Truth for many in our popular culture is not even an imaginary friend anymore. Personally, I came out of that hippie-generation ...and maybe that's where the playing field began to tip dramatically for many towards hell.

This little board-clique here is like a bunch of birds 'tweeting' to each other and I, unfortunately, am certainly one of them. Has it become a sort of word-sword play? Who can chop who's vowels or punctuations out from under them and make what they said seem so silly?

Some people... will not give up seemingly holy and dear 'things' to find truth. And so they grow into a pre-destined mind-set that has little truth and all is sown into some super-self serving-ideology that find roots in, among other things, simply nasty personal habits and attitudes.

Who here takes time to study the "great minds" without coloring their wisdom with a bias?

Even the very definition of "great minds" becomes a debate. Forgotten is the fact the everyone has some ring of truth in what they say or write or sing or lecture about!! But it is the deeper meaning still to isolate and present that "truth" that adheres itself everywhere, without tearing it down or breaking it down to fit personal philosophies and life-styles.

Truth does not fit anyone's personal agendas. Truth fits only its own, tho it is present in the minds and hearts of every single person that is alive today.

No one has their truth, or their own personal box of truths, like that famous box of chocolates. But that's what today's popular culture is teaching the kids and even the older generation. Maybe it began to be popularized long before the hippy generation or the Beatnik generation.

Truth permeates every living cell and exists apart from creation and at the same time a vital part of creation.

Truth never is chiseled into something else, colored to look differently, rearranged to appear less or more. Truth is what it is and on the deepest level...not open to a personal interpretation. Can it be described in bare and brutal terms without one's personal expression?

Is truth expressed only what an artist can hopefully aspire to paint or a writer imagine to impart with words of poetry or excellence, or a musician create to convey? Truth thus is attempted to be 'heard' thru vocal chords, or 'seen' thru the craft of a painter and a paint brush, or read by the written word; or seen even in nature, as a flight of a bird, or mountains, or forests, or sunlight, stars, or heavenly galaxies.

But truth is apart from all this: It dwells in absolute perfection.

You look, you listen. You stand in awe!!!!!!

Thanks! You pretty much said it.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...Funnily is a good word.

Funnily? Like this?

- Phil