Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Doug Spaulding:
Arn't you technically more towards the southern part of the Central part of California? ...than Southern California per se? Or do you work more in that southern part of the central part of California, and live moreso in the southern part of the second part...?

Very well then, I will re-phrase, "I just thank the gods I live here in NoSoCal."

Moreso is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
...with temperatures down to 7 celsius.

Now Phil, speak English! We fat lot of lazy, ugly Americans don't want to have to cross the room to interpret that foreign "Celsius" talk - Fahrenheit forever!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Coincides with the so-called Spring Bank Holiday weekend. Britons jealous of Doug Spaulding and his orange crop.

You're funny for an academic!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
...with temperatures down to 7 celsius.

Now Phil, speak English! We fat lot of lazy, ugly Americans don't want to have to cross the room to interpret that foreign "Celsius" talk - Fahrenheit forever!

That Mr Fahrenheit was a great American, wasn't he!

For a while, we Brits thought about re-branding Bradbury's novel as Celsius 233, but we decided against it. (Our experience of The Silver Locusts told us it wouldn't be such a good idea in the long term.)

There is a tendency in the UK for people to use Fahrenheit when they want to emphasise how hot something is (as in "it reached a hundred degrees today!"), and Celsius when they want to emphasise how cold something is ("it got down to minus ten last night").

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
You're funny for an academic!

Believe me, there are academics a lot funnier than me!

Oh, I see. You meant funny ha-ha, not funny peculiar.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
If Nephilim is plural, as is the usage of Goyim etc, then why isn't Elohim also plural for more than one God? That is the most intreguing of all the passages in Genesis to me.

It is plural.

(Shhh - don't tell the Pistics; they'll have a spell!)

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Here we are at war with Radical Islam, and this old religion post has been dormant for last months. Hm! What say? Nothing to discuss?

Lately I am 'taken in'... with pondering the fastness of life. Most amazing: it has an end! Doesn't that make you wonder?

If you stop yourself from analyzing the 'dancing' steps ...(as Bradbury would point to when writing...
"...you dance with life and love and you don't figure out each step lest you freeze-up and tangle your feet and the dance ends in a moment".
...Bradbury would say, in so many words!)
...but look at life as a 'whole', an amazing picture arises: Life has an end for each and everyone! If so, wouldn't that knowledge drive everyone mad?

When a child considers summer as eternal... beginning with the month of June, life eventually batters him down with death-talk! So he tries to make do. Bradbury says each story he writes permits him to say, Aha! Death I push you away again!

That all this has an end to each person personally, is ...a gift! In scripture it reads that the next world...has no end! It's cast in gold and precious gems, in value that cannot be disturbed by robbers or decay! This one, it's written, is where we enter into agreement with God and God ushers us into a permanent 'world' where he displays for all his creation what he originally intended for us: glory! And it lasts forever.

Someday, all the universe will roll away. The telescopes disclose the ending of everything. What so if man creates 500 years to his life... or youth stays on 200 years, or travels to far stars to renew humankind? It still all gets blasted away!! It all is permeated with "shortness". It's in the DNA of everything...
...except God, where there is always ...the permanent!

"Come all ye that are heavy-laden, and I'll give you rest. And the rest I give is not of this world!" Jesus Christ

___________________________________________________________________________________

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The transience of life ...

Transience is a good word.

Trust in the Lord with all you heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
Proverbs 3
(I think - I'm too lazy to go and look it up!)

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Nard, hope your doing well. You bring up some very good and valid points. If life were extended, then each moment would be less precious. I lose track of that a lot, especially in traffic. I really need to slow down and not worry about the other guy even when someone does something stupid. I am most alive and appreciative when I'm camping. I'm really there, you know whether under the stars or dunking my head in a cold waterfall and listening to the echoes of the water while I'm basking in the sunshine. Too bad, it's not always like that, however when I am really present, there are many other gifts from "God".

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did I kill this thread? That certainly wasn't the intention. Although I don't believe in God in the traditional sense, I do believe in an entity that is eternal and loving. For me, God is the universe expressing itself in a perfect moment or a drop of morning dew or the star studded night sky with the Milky Way arching across the whole sky so bright you can read by it and a myriad other ways. I just always rebelled against the laws and spins that man has attached to this mystery of mysteries through the eons. It is the ultimate mystery, what happens after we die? Maybe I have a more diffuse nebulous way of looking at things but there it is. I think when the time comes, we become once again part of a whole, you can call it God or the light or love or whatever, but I'm worrying about being here, right now, and rejoicing in the moment!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Say Rocket, I will come and worship at your CHURCH anytime. I can feel the Great Mystery flowing through me and I am but a very small, but cognizant, part of that Mystery, here to know and appreciate the dance of life as one possibility out of the many.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
Although I don't believe in God in the traditional sense, I do believe in an entity that is eternal and loving.

That's God!

Both you gentlemen are on the right track.

In my opinion.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
This thing about giving a name to GOD:

American Indians worshipped the sky, the clouds, the weather, sunset, the Great Spirit, as God, or gods. In India, (the country of), there are tens of thousands of objects worshipped as a god: dogs, cats, (especially rats), birds, insects, trees, plants, a shovel, a stone, a necklace of beads...you name it! Tens and tens of thousands of Gods. In Japan, hundreds, maybe thousand of gods, like, for instance, Akibimi, the goddess of Autumn, or Kojin, the goddess of the family kitchen, who also happens to live in a nettle tree. There's the goddess of Hawaii, specifically of volcanoes, by the name of Pele. (Nothing to do with soccer). And the list could go on for hours. Everyone has this idea of what God looks like.

When Christ insinuated that he was God, there were as many as 200 hundred others walking around proclaiming to be the Messiah at the same time. It was when Jesus could bring people back from the dead, or cure the sick, that caught people's attention. But some of the religious leaders were so legalistic, that to cure someone of, say, an illness, on the Sabbath, was an offense. The act of "curing" was considered a "work"...and you were not to "work" on the Sabbath. "Hey, there fellow, you with the diseased and useless leg...get up, throw away your crutch, and walk. Your foot is healed and the disease is gone." OOOpps! It's the Sabbath. Oh, oh! Not good! Yes! That sounds crazy. But that's how it was.

Someone once asked Jesus how could he forgive sins, since only God can forgive sins. He answered, What's easier to do, erase the sins from a person's soul, or tell a cripple to stand up and walk. I'll show you what's easier. " And he told the cripple to walk, and he did so. He was displaying that bringing someone instantly to bodily health was easier to do than forgiving someone's sin.

It's Christ being put to death physically and then showing three days later that death can be thwarted and no longer have any effect on a person, that put him forever in the history books. And when he told someone their sin's were forgiven, and their broken minds were instantly regained with ...a right mind, He put Himself into the category of GOD!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, verily, Nardster.
The one question Jesus asks us today (and the one that can cause the most discomfort and results in volumes of attempts to disprove His verity) is the one he asked his disciples: "Who do you say that I am?"

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OKAY! THIS RELIGIOUS FORUM

....has before you a Bible Test!

How well do you know the Bible. NOTE: At least one correct answer is in each question. Two or more is also possible.

1) The last post by Braling II (bottom of previous page) has the quote, "Who do you say that I am?" Read the context in Braling's II post. Where is that passage found:
(a) Matthew 15 (b) Luke 9 (c) Acts 13 (d) It's not in the Bible

2. At the moment Jesus died on the cross, which one of these statements is true: (a) There was an earthquake (b) Dead people came to life and left the cemetery (c) It was dark outside

3. When the book of the Bible, 1st Corinthians, was written, were there any people still living who had actually seen Jesus Christ after he came back from the dead?
(a) Yes (b) No (c) Doesn't say

4. In the Bible, what came first:
(a) Trees and plants (b) Seeds for trees and plants

5. Who was one of the official Roman witnesses at the killing of St. Stephen (a) Saul, later St. Paul (b) (Levi) also named St. Matthew (c) Simon (also known as St. Peter) (d) Herod Antipas

____________________________________________________________________________________
answers::\::\: \I\ (b) Luke 9, in Luke 9 vs 18-20; \II\ all 3, Matthew 27, vs 50-53, Luke 23, vs. 44-45; /III/( a), 1st Corinthians, chap 15, vs. 5-9; /IV/( a) Genesis 1, vs 11-12; \V\ (a)