Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Isn't this a tad juvenile for you, Doug, a Theology grad, as you say? What's your point?

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's juvenile, alright.

I guess that's my point.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Also note, per all the previous postings, that the early church fathers had the Nicene Creed written around the year 325AD or thereabouts, to dispel any notion of a created Jesus, or the unimportance of the Holy Spirit in terms of a triune God. Talk was going around that Jesus the Christ was not 100% human and 100% God. And the early church fathers had to set it in a statement (Nicene Creed) to make sure there was no question about where the church stood on these matters.

I know. I know all about the history of the creed and the council and etcetera. I think perhaps I mentioned before that I recently earned a bachelor's degree in theology (summa cum laude, thanks).

Whence?

But don't get me started on the council and creeds, or I shall be typing entirely too long.

Yeah, those poor deluded, ignorant council attendees who only suffered for their faith and many of whom had more education and greater minds than any of us! Even B.S. Spaulding!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Even B.S. Spaulding!

No, BTh.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Per these Religious Postings~

My thoughts on the Subject:

Somebody 'looking in' now and then on these back-and-forth postings might reason to themselves, "This is why I never ever argue Religion!"

And they'd be right.

Must you lay things on the table if you want to be clear? You better believe it!!

Myself, I come from a Roman Catholic background. I knew before 8 years old that I had a lot of sin in my life.

You say, 'Whatta you mean you knew it?'

Well I knew 'sin' was keeping me from myself, from things I loved, from a clear mind. From enjoying my youth. From understanding relationships. Eventually, years and years later, I found out it's possible for things to be turned around.

Doug Spaulding writes that he has enough theological learning to have earned a degree in Theology. He has intellectualized stuff and studied enough to discern the whereto and wherefores of so much history that many of us would sit in the farthest back row of his study group hoping not to be called on to contribute something.

But Doug seems to say 'sin' don't matter that much, or, more precisely, it ain't what it seems, or it's been ill-described by a group of catholic hierarchy and.... well, the reasoning goes on and on and after awhile who cares about hearing about sin one way or another? Sometimes I think Doug has studied 'stuff' until there is an odious swarming from all sides of the very nature of the fallen human condition. Hence, thru this giant magnifying glass of investigation, the flaws in people's motives and intentions, the prejudices, the lies, the greed, excels. And truth pales?

I don't know Braling II's background, but he seems to have captured the essence of what God says in his word.

Personally, I don't give a hoot what 4th century council made up the Nicene Creed, or some of the other Roman Catholic doctrines; or what early church fathers ate for lunch that week. Or who argued what before whom, or what or where or how. What I am interested in is these things:

• That it's not my behavior that defines if I am a sinner or not. It is that I was born in that condition. "I am born a sinner", as King David explains, "from my mother's womb".

• Know that I can't put myself together. Or to save me from myself. I need my Creator's Instruction Manual.

When I long ago read a passage in Ray Bradbury's writings, one of those passages that grabs you and shakes you and you walk around for a half afternoon wondering how is it that you can feel so beautiful while the world seems to go on without knowing anything... I didn't question how the stuff was written, who all conspired together, or just what phrases or words were hijacked and entered into the context of the story, or omitted. Instead, I took pleasure in the effect it had on me. It seemed to nearly change my whole outlook for a while. Sometimes, even a long, long, long while longer. I was more interested in..."What was it that I was experiencing? Why was it so gosh darn... beautiful? Why was it so wonderful? Why did it make me want to seek out the creator of what I had read?"

When I read scripture, when I read that the Holy Spirit will lead me into truth, the very beauty of what is written prompts me to think that..no man with even a pen of all the greatest minds of the world combined, could come up with what it is saying is real and genuine.

And, thus, I am not interested in the human authors that penned scripture. I am interested in the author who moved the mind and hearts of men to pen. The author who is God.

So...

With such different points of origin, so many points of view in the pursuit of scriptures, no wonder some may think...'Heck, you won't get me into any religious discussion.'

It's not hard to understand why.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well said, Nard!

Your "What was it...?" experience reminds me of C.S. Lewis trying to define what he called the numinous, which led to his conversion.

As I've said before, the only real question is the one the Lord asks: "Who do you say that I am?"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
As I've said before, the only real question is the one the Lord asks: "Who do you say that I am?"

Right. And I submit that he's divine.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding, you sly fox! You submit Jesus is divine.

Of course, you failed to capitalize the word divine. And for those who wonder why this is a big thing, it is because it denotes an exacting view of Christ.

To capitalize the 'D' on Divine, means Christ is truly God, and Christ is truly man. To write the word without capitalization, it means Jesus is man, with at least some godly attributes. And godly is taken to be in 'small' caps as well. No God at all, this Jesus fellow.

Oh sly fox Spaulding strikes again!

Imageosius226image.jpg (116 Kb, 3 downloads)

posted Hide Post
God, or the Creator, gave humans a mind and a process for finding Truth. If there was only one Truth, why did He not simply hardwire our brains to walk the correct path, and enable us to do all the things that make us God-like?

Maybe it is necessary to take the Journey to fully understand the process. Otherwize, an implanted chip would be a more efficient way for God to make Man in His image and know that he will find the right path for sure, instead of expecting him to find the path on his own. Thus, the act of questioning is encouraged by the Creator and we must try and find our own answers, there being one for each of us, but not one for all of us.

To evolve, Mankind must learn that all truths perceived to be The Truth are equally wrong and only serve to separate us from our fellow kind. Too many people have died in the name of their Truths trying to convince others that they were correct in their beliefs. What a waste of time, energy and Humanity. Change is the only absolute that I can see. Learning to adapt to change is how Mankind will evolve and become more God-like.

Love, empathy, compassion, these are the emotions of God-like behavior.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask. All those questions you asked, are found in scripture. Along with the answers.

Other than that your ideas are very New Age, Lots of Hindu and Buddists beliefs as well. Are you a Buddist?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
You submit Jesus is divine.

Of course, you failed to capitalize the word divine. And for those who wonder why this is a big thing, it is because it denotes an exacting view of Christ.

To capitalize the 'D' on Divine, means Christ is truly God, and Christ is truly man. To write the word without capitalization, it means Jesus is man, with at least some godly attributes. And godly is taken to be in 'small' caps as well. No God at all, this Jesus fellow.

Not at all. Divine isn't supposed to be capitalised.

Before I was a theology major I was an English major.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
Thus, the act of questioning is encouraged by the Creator and we must try and find our own answers, there being one for each of us, but not one for all of us.

You Spongian you!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Lots of Hindu and Buddists beliefs as well. Are you a Buddist?

The Hindus and the Buddhists have some of the best beliefs in theology.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Lots of Hindu and Buddists beliefs as well. Are you a Buddist?

The Hindus and the Buddhists have some of the best beliefs in theology.

Don't forget the Sikhs and the Taoists.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won't.

"Live Forever!"