Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SCRIPTURE for the SUPER BOWL

(The following spoof is NOT serious. Relax! The Bible does not work this way, although some people try to use Scriptures in ways that are just this silly to prove their points!)

1. Does the Bible allude to either the Phoenix Cardinals or Pittsburg Steelers?

YES! "I am like a wild bird in the desert." Psalm 102:6

"If a person is a stealer, he must stop stealing and start working. He must use his hands for doing something good." (Ephesians 4:28)

2. Who will have the advantage playing in Tampa?

"Anyone away from home is like a bird away from its nest." (Proverbs 27:8) Thus, not the Cardinals.

3. What verse favors victory on the field for the Cardinals?

"I will throw you on the ground and toss you in an open field. I will make the birds perch on you and feed on you." (Ezekiel 32:4)

4. What verses favor the Steelers?

"Just look at the strength of his back, the powerful muscles of his body...his huge legs are like beech trees. His skeleton is made of steel, every bone in his body is hard as steel." (Job 40: 16-18 from Message Bible)

"With your well-muscled arm and your grip of steel, nobody trifles with you." (Psalm 89:13 from Message Bible)

"Wherever they turn, I will spread my net over them and bring down the birds." (Hosea 7:12)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Laboring under a misconception? And you think Bishop Spong isn't?

Be that as it may, I reiterate: the bishop has been married to a female for many moons. What's up with the homosexual accusation?

Not that there's anything wrong with being one, but he's not.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
The Bible does not work this way, although some people try to use Scriptures in ways that are just this silly to prove their points!

You sure got that right, old friend!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was talk of an attempt to run this ad during the upcoming match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2CaBR3z85c

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
There was talk of an attempt to run this ad during the upcoming match:

That's one of the best things I've seen the Catholics do in awhile - great advert.

And great music too.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Good article on Spong. It raises one thing that has always troubled me about liberals, as a general principle: They deny fundamentalists the right to speak in absolute terms, and relegate to themselves the right to speak in absolutes.

In principle, conservative theologians can at least claim the consistency of the idea of speaking in absolutes, as they believe in an absolute God who speaks in absolute truths. But for liberal theologians, they cite truth as relative or "situational" and then, in the context of a world of relativism, cite their claims in absolute terms. They are right, and everyone else is both wrong and primitivist.

This seems inconsistent to me.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Eric (Mr. Dark)!

Rick Warren is LIVE here.

California times are listed for today and tomorrow:

http://saddlebackfamily.com/mediacenter/services/Default.aspx#

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one for you, Doug Spaulding:

http://www.pulltheplugonatheism.com

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil Knox, This one is for you:
http://darwin-online.org.uk/

Happy Birthday Charles Darwin

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Phil Knox, This one is for you:
http://darwin-online.org.uk/

Happy Birthday Charles Darwin

jkt, contrary to your assumptions, I have no problem with Charles Darwin. From my understanding of scriptures, there came a time when God made man. Before that, he wasn't. Afterwards he was. That is the point of describing Adam. Scripture wasn't concerned about prehistoric man, or the dinosaur. But man made in the image of God. Whatever was before wasn't in God's image. And then came to be someone who was in God's image. But when Adam came to be, he was in a perfect world. So if you think figuring the difficult meanings in scripure is a short hop, think again.

Some say, "Well, if God wanted to, he could have created everything in a flash with things already aged, and bones of the long dead dinosaur embedded in his creation." I understand what is being conveyed, but it needs enormous clarification. I am not posting to elaborate on some thorny theological problem versus Darwin, but I do say there was a time when God created a man who was in God's image. The fall of Adam (and all that means) created a world absolutely different than what we now have, which is a mixture of heaven hell and a tormented man of opposites and conflict.

Scripture writes that God spoke and the worlds came into being. That one is especially intriguing because scientists today believe in the very beginning there was literally a speck. And everything in the universe came into being in a nano-nano second from that speck. Of course, scientists can't figure out from where came the speck.

And then there is controversy in the very first few lines in Genesis, in the Old Testament. There is strong debate from respected theologians about its meaning. It seems to suggest that there was an existence of things before there were the things we now know, a totally different creation unknown to us and not written in scripture, but only hinted.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
This one for you, Doug Spaulding:

Thanks for the link. It's always sad when one loses their faith in God.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
This is St. Brigid's day (old calendar Feb. 1), and one of my granddaughter's name day...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Brigid

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THIS HAS BEEN an ONGOING survey.

However, it may end anytime. So VOTE NOW!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10103521/

There are other related subject
surveys going on as well!!

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, what a pressing issue. What should be written on the money we're losing!

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post