Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Man, I've known for a while that no one on this page is going to change the opinion of anyone else who posts here. I daresay there are only about ten people who are even reading this thread in the first place, and every one of them (myself included) pretty much has their mind made up as to their viewpoints on matters of religion.

Still, some of this stuff makes me laugh. For instance, it was said "I read a bunch of stuff, including the Halloween page, and don't see anything to argue about." Um, okay... all I can say is, again---seriously?

If anyone on this board thinks that the content of the Halloween article appearing on Robertson's web-site has even the tiniest connection to reality, all I can say is---what on earth are you doing on a Ray Bradbury board? Much of Bradbury's work has a firm foundation in, and is a celebration of, the macabre--exactly the sort of thing that entire article was railing about.

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
Of course you know that your use of the term false prophet is misappropriated. A prophet can never be wrong on even the simpliest declaration, ever. Even one seemingly insignificant postulation shown to be wrong will erase one from any recognition of prophet. A prophet must ALWAYS be 100% correct.

EXACTLY my point.

The verse to which I referred was Jeremiah 14:14. "Then the LORD said to me, "The prophets are prophesying lies in my name. I have not sent them or appointed them or spoken to them. They are prophesying to you false visions, divinations, idolatries and the delusions of their own minds."

I've read quite a few definitive predictions by Robertson which he said were given to him directly by God, and which then did not come to pass. (Nevertheless, he has said that he has a "pretty good" track record. Um, by your own words, a prophet has to be perfect, doesn't he?) One event which I was specifically referring to was when he said that a mass terrorist attack (possibly nuclear) would take place in the US between September and December of 2007. This wasn't a warning, or a "maybe"---it was definitely going to happen.

Hmmm... guess this disaster has slipped my memory, though...

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
theoctobercountry: Do you think you guys don't get it? Of course not. And that's the issue. Christianity and the popular culture are miles, eons apart. Sure, there's a light-hearted focus on Halloween, sugar coated, for the kids. But there's a deeper insidious realm. Sin is encouraged in our popular culture. It's a death wound in Christian understanding of why sin destroys.

Christianity and the world and its popular cultures. The two shall never meet.

Period.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:
Nevertheless, he has said that he has a "pretty good" track record.

Pat Robertson: the "Pretty Good" prophet.

I LOLed.

Reminded me of Ralph's Pretty Good Grocery in Lake Wobegon.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

Ignored? How do you know that I did not read Phil's post? You do not. And I did. Her post asked no questions of me. Must I now personally reply to every post within a thread in which I'm active?

And as a lover of the truth, I'll kindly thank you to never again accuse me of not being able to stand the truth.

Oh, I get it. You want to censor my statement. I should run around with my tail between my legs and yelp like a puppy. It ain't gonna happen, Spaulding. You may be looking for the truth, but you have found the great delusion of Bishop Spong. It is Bishop Spong who dismantles the meaning of Christ. He has offended Christianity on every major principle.

You can do far better. But you don't. Be offended.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
K.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug: Be well, Here's my recommendation. Quote Spong less and yourself more. Spong has become a kind of caricature of himself. Your ideas are you. Hope you, and all the others, had a great Halloween. We all know it is Bradbury's favorite. Went to his home in the middle of summer once, and he had his Halloween doormat out in the front.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
Went to his home in the middle of summer once, and he had his Halloween doormat out in the front.

And here's a shot of the dining room when I was over once. Can't remember the month, but it was nowhere near Hallow e'en:

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Hello,

Nothing chnges here, does it?

Good bye.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
Hello,

Good bye.

So whatta you want some of us to do? Agree with you? Now what would that do? First some of us would have to give up some of our principles, the sacredness of Christ, the gift of grace, the gift of Godly wisdom.

And likely would have to accept that mere man is sufficient to love one another.

Then you would be delighted. And things would change for the better. No?

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
Hello,

Good bye.

Too funny! Nope, no changes here---it's threads like this that tend to totally turn people off to Christianity, I think.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Too funny! Nope, no changes here---it's threads like this that tend to totally turn people off to Christianity, I think.

theoctobercountry: From previous postings, you certainly sound already turned off Christianity long time ago. Would you know what Christianity is about if it stared you in the face? It's all about a relationship. And relationships.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just on this thread. The other threads are "all Ray, all the time..." Red Face)

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
quote:

theoctobercountry: From previous postings, you certainly sound already turned off Christianity long time ago. Would you know what Christianity is about if it stared you in the face? It's all about a relationship. And relationships.
Think as you wish---you've always seemed to have a curious and complete inability to understand any of my posts! Though, I'll go ahead and add to my earlier statement. I believe that most people who go in search of religious truth are looking for purpose and meaning in their own lives, and want to find peace and contentment in their daily existence. If such a person, looking for answers, comes across a religiously-themed thread such as this only to find much rancour and contention, why would they even want to pursue reading it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: theoctobercountry,

posted Hide Post
theoctobercountry: I ditto Phil Knox. I can't seem to get your drift in most of your postings either. You often sound like a leaf blown away by the wind while trying to make do with some sort of religious logic. Christianity and popular culture will always be at war. If you think you'll find some sort of warming suave thru these postings by intermingling the two, you won't.