Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:
And I think it is outrageous that those responsible are not being held accountable...

When one wields much power, it is often easy to get away with things one normally could not. Just look at the government!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Mr Faith, have you ever read anything by that author named - er, whatshisname - Ray Bradbury? Or are you just on this board for that ol' time religion?

Yes, I have philnic my favorite is The Illustrated Man. (Has been since it came out. I think it's very interesting and creative.)

Posts: 27 | Registered: 12 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OOOOOOO! Religion! One of my favorite subjects!

Haven't been to visit here in a very long time- What happened to the reasoned discussion and open-mindedness? And who is this Mr. Faith dude? Why do Christians always try avoid/deny the fact that the Romans assimilated all the local religions?
I've studied a lot of different religions, and in the end they all say basically the same thing.
Each culture has its own way, and each person in each culture has a way as unique as they are. All ways lead to the same place in the end.
Why try to make someone else walk your way?

Posts: 28 | Location: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by too much:
Why do Christians always try avoid/deny the fact that the Romans assimilated all the local religions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F...cy_of_many_questions

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Haven't been to visit here in a very long time- What happened to the reasoned discussion and open-mindedness? And who is this Mr. Faith dude? Why do Christians always try avoid/deny the fact that the Romans assimilated all the local religions?
I've studied a lot of different religions, and in the end they all say basically the same thing.
Each culture has its own way, and each person in each culture has a way as unique as they are. All ways lead to the same place in the end.
Why try to make someone else walk your way?

Why nonsense? Get your facts straight. All places lead to the same place? That's what the current culture loves to preach. I take it you've done the traveling? You're all about yourself, arn't you? You got it all figured out. 15 billions years of creation and after a few days here you got it all figured out.

I decided somewhere long ago that I don't have the smarts to figure it out or the strength or the know-how. Up to then, I thought I did. And when I started to learn about the working of Christ in me, I began to understand...a little...a tiny little... That it is Christ in me that nudges me back to 'sanity'. And one thing I know without a question about it, is you don't have a clue what Jesus is about, or Christianity in general, or ....or...anything.

OOOOOOOO! Religion! It's my most favorite subject.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...who is this Mr. Faith dude? Why do Christians always try avoid/deny the fact that the Romans assimilated all the local religions.

Well, that's certainly true, but go easy on Mr Faith - he's actually a pretty respectful guy compared to certain others here who can get a bit "snippy" with us liberals!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaudling! Okay, we butt heads over religion, but let me ask you how can one be civil on a forum board that requires a space of time between responses that would otherwise require quick replies? Such a 'posting discussion' falls into somewheres between a bog and a smog.

Things that are posted here are not like a printed page where you can look back or put on a table for future reference via a glance. Here, postings get buried and lost and forgotten within a few hours. Sometimes minutes. It is usually the primary, top posting that gets the attention. Once there, after a few more postings, the energy, the fire, the life is gone and somebody comes up with some bland comment and...well, forget it! This is a sorry story for a lively debate. This is more like skeletal monkeys trying to make faces at each other in order to prove they are the dominant one. (best picture image I could come up with)...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Doug Spaudling! Okay, we butt heads over religion, but let me ask you how can one be civil on a forum board that requires a space of time between responses that would otherwise require quick replies? Such a 'posting discussion' falls into somewheres between a bog and a smog.

Things that are posted here are not like a printed page where you can look back or put on a table for future reference via a glance. Here, postings get buried and lost and forgotten within a few hours. Sometimes minutes. It is usually the primary, top posting that gets the attention. Once there, after a few more postings, the energy, the fire, the life is gone and somebody comes up with some bland comment and...well, forget it! This is a sorry story for a lively debate. This is more like skeletal monkeys trying to make faces at each other in order to prove they are the dominant one. (best picture image I could come up with)...

Amen.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Haven't been to visit here in a very long time- What happened to the reasoned discussion and open-mindedness?

From what I've observed over the years, it would appear that reason and an open mind have no place whatsoever in discussions about religion. Heh, heh, heh... Really, religion and politics are perhaps the two primary subjects which arouse the very worst in people (in regards to carrying on an intelligent conversation).

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, you asked "how can one be civil on a forum board that requires a space of time between responses that would otherwise require quick replies?" Wait, you're saying the ability to display civility and a sense of courtesy depends on the speed of said conversation?

A message-board discussion naturally proceeds at a more relaxed pace than any real-time conversation. However, given that fact, it would seem logical that it would be much easier to maintain a sense of decorum under these conditions. There is plenty of time to choose one's words in an intelligent fashion before posting a response to a previous message. Likewise, if one is arguing a particular point, it is simple to do the research needed to clarify one's own position, so that one can make a rational and reasonable post in response to those who hold opposing points of view.

Some of the responses I've read on various message boards sound as if they've been written by ten-year-old school-yard bullies; simply ridiculous and rather pathetic. (Ah, but fortunately I've discovered that most boards have an "ignore" function---it's easy enough to silence the worst offenders.)

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
When one wields much power, it is often easy to get away with things one normally could not. Just look at the government!
True enough (just like the old chestnut "absolute power corrupts absolutely").

However, it seems to me that the RCC only holds a fraction of the power that it once commanded. The institution really is not a moral or political force in much of the world, any more. In western Europe and North America, at any rate, the church seems to have limited influence, much reduced from what it was even a century ago. As to whether this is a good thing---well, given the abuses of power that are well documented, I think a less-powerful church can only be for the greater good. I mean, we're talking about corruption on a massive scale reaching back for about 1000 years, for goodness sake.

Lest I sound anti-Catholic here, I'd like to emphasise that I'm not discussing the doctrine or beliefs of the system in this post, just the corruptions that have been uncovered. It is unfortunate that such twisted misuse of power seems to arise in every group (or church), once it grows large and influential; people can't seem to stop abusing the system...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: theoctobercountry,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Nard, wait, you're saying the ability to display civility and a sense of courtesy depends on the speed of said conversation?

NO!

quote:
A message-board discussion naturally proceeds at a more relaxed pace than any real-time conversation. However, given that fact, it would seem logical that it would be much easier to maintain a sense of decorum under these conditions. There is plenty of time to choose one's words in an intelligent fashion before posting a response to a previous message. Likewise, if one is arguing a particular point, it is simple to do the research needed to clarify one's own position, so that one can make a rational and reasonable post in response to those who hold opposing points of view.

Naw!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:Really, religion and politics are perhaps the two primary subjects which arouse the very worst in people (in regards to carrying on an intelligent conversation).

A lot of boards ban all such discussions. This one, being dedicated to an author whose work deplores censorship, does not.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Douglas,

How could anyone not like you?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Douglas,

How could anyone not like you?

Because when you don't jump into the mud to play, it makes them even madder!

All I do is state my opinion, and respect others.

Very nice of you to say Michael.

"Live Forever!"