Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

Although not a member of a congregation, Jefferson was a Unitarian in his beliefs, as you know.

Not so! Well, maybe kinda...confusing actually.
http://www25.uua.org/uuhs/duub...thomasjefferson.html

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trying to pin down Jefferson or Unitarianism is pretty tricky. To just say that Jefferson was a Unitarian is too much of a simplification to contribute to a discussion on his beliefs. The context of the discussion must accept the reality that Jefferson was a Deist who accepted Natural Law theory and cited Christ as the most moral man in history. The vast majority of the framers spanned the range of orthodoxy, but all accepted the reality of the existence of a God and that Natural Law should inform our private and public life. Very difficult to argue otherwise in good faith.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by libRArY:
Not so! Well, maybe kinda...confusing actually.

Sure! It says right here: Jefferson found the Unitarian understanding of Jesus compatible with his own. In 1822 he predicted that "there is not a young man now living in the US who will not die an Unitarian."

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Source and context, please. As if this were his only writing on his beliefs and thoughts. Same on what you claim as a unitarian belief about Christ. What is that belief--given that unitarianism is pretty non-specific in its theology.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
Source and context, please.

It's from libRArY's link above.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No Sandy Claws!? To heck with the Trinitarians!

I am ashamed to say that this parish is in my hometown. Don't hate me.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
It's nice to see that, while some churches are spending their time telling kiddies that Santa Claus isn't coming, other churches are spending their time more wisely - like helping to knock down barriers such as homophobia.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

other churches are spending their time more wisely - like helping to knock down barriers such as homophobia.

Yes! And these things Jesus and the Bible said not only about the wrongs of homosexual activity, but the wrongs of fornication and adultery as well should have barriers broken down. Don't you think, Doug Spaulding?

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heck, with his view on Christianity, Spaulding can start his own religion: the Spauldingdongs

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spauldingdong is a good word.

No, I don't need to start another faith. I'm happy attending the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
You'll not be mistaken for a mormon, Doug . . .

posted Hide Post
An orange left outside here now would freeze solid in 15 minutes.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
You'll not be mistaken for a mormon, Doug . . .

That's how I roll! I always like to keep 'em guessing.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
An orange left outside here now would freeze solid in 15 minutes.

Here too!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
During this Christmas season, I'm taking time to reflect on what Christ means to me.

I consider in prayer the Father, who has moved time towards my benefit, on my behalf, to all fall squarely in the life-span of Christ. And that time has in it all the consequences of my fallen nature actions in my lifetime, and now it all becomes an intricate part of Christ and his responsibility and his experience of what my personal actions have caused.

What experience of loss Christ experienced in such a vast arena of people, goes unimagined. It is something only God can truly understand, But it is that grace, this unmerited favor shown me, that is my rescue. Nothing I do to makes this happen other than accept and incorporate into my life God's gift that enables us to be released of guilt and eternal consequences of stupid life styles and broken souls.

Once you experience it, you experience what it truly is to be in your right mind, settled, and filled with wisdom.

MERRY CHRISTMAS