Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
According to some of the people here, the following are a immature lot, deceived and brainwashed. They have accepted and believed in Jesus Christ. They have written about Christ, talked about Him, and lived Him. Oh, poor things! Sad! If only they were as smart of some on this board.

C.S. Lewis
Robert Louis Stevenson
William F. Buckley
Billy Graham
Fulton J. Sheen
Mother Theresa
Martin Luther King
George Washington
Charles Spurgeon
John Milton
John Bunyon
Thomas Kempis
Fred(Mr.)Rogers
actor Chuck Norris
boxer George Foreman
James Naismith (inventor of basketball)
J.R.R.Tolkien
T.S.Elliot
John Tesh
John Adams
Patrick Henry
Wilbur and Orville Wright
Isaac Newton
Galileo Galilei
Nicolas Copernicus
Johannes Kepler
Actress Rhonda Fleming
Andy Griffith
Roy Rogers
Loretta Young
Michael Reagan (Ronald Reagan's adopted son)
Orel Herschiser, baseball
Eric Liddell (Chariots of Fire)
Jesse Owens
Zig Ziggler
Oswald Chambers
G.K. Chesterton
Dan quayle
Clarence Thomas
Alan Keyes
Corie Ten Bloom
Evander Holyfield

Ok, I looked at this list of Christians and I just could not bring myself to answer. But having read this thing now several times, I am still bothered by the thought that somwone would use this list to make a point. Anyone with a position could do the same.

Example:

Consult a number of books that list the accomplishments of Jewish People, who constitute less than 1% of the population of the US, and you will be amazed by what these Non-Christians have accomplished for the betterment of Mankind, even with the weight of the curse of Christ Killer others seem to believe they should carry. I have often marveled at the reason for their success in many endevours - hard work, an inate sense of intellectual curiousity, constant parential influence to succeed and achieve, survival.

I will put my list up against your's anyday.
Dan Quayle?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask: My best friends are Jewish. They are God's chosen, gifted far beyond the average Joe. Scripture does not say Jews killed Jesus. It does says I did, as a sinner. Sort of that butterfly being stepped on in A Sound of Thunder. As a sinner, it says I directly affect the cicumstances leading to the crucifixion of Christ. That's why in the movie, The Passion, Mel Gibson filmed his own hands pounding the nail into the hand of Christ. What demons Gibson deals with, he still had insight into that event to film it such.

If it weren't for Dan Quayle and the Murphy Brown incident, Family Values on TV would still likely not be discussed much.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting into the foray:
Sylvester Stallone, in a recent interview:
"I was raised in a Catholic home, a Christian home, and I went to Catholic schools, and I was taught the faith and went as far as I could with it, until one day, you know, I got out in the so-called real world and was presentged with temptation. I kinda lost my way and made a lot of bad choices." Stallone went on to say that he's been going through a change in his life. "The more I go to church, and the more I turn myself over to the process of believing in Jesus and listening to His Word and having Him guide my hand, I'm beginning to understand that you can overcome your past and be reborn."
~Sylvester Stallone

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New topic:

For centuries, the church's teaching about the shape of the world was that it was flat, in accordance with what was written in scripture, despite scientific evidence that it was not. People were excommunicated – not to mention tortured and tried and sent to jail and murdered for disagreeing with the official church "standard" of teaching.

For centuries, the church's teaching about seizure disorder was that it was demon possession, in accordance with what was written in scripture, despite scientific evidence that it was not. People were excommunicated – not to mention tortured and locked in asylums because the outward manifestation of their lives were contrary to the official church "standard" of teaching.

For centuries, the church's teaching about left-handedness was that it was a sign of evil, in accordance with what was written in scripture, despite scientific evidence that it was not. People were excommunicated – not to mention tortured and shunned and exiled because the outward manifestation of their lives were contrary to the official church "standard" of teaching.

When the dignity of any human being is compromised or insulted, a mortal wound is created in the Body of Christ.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding, exactly where does it say in scripture that the Earth is flat? Demon possession? Do you think the movie The Exorcist was loosely based on a fairy tale? You think Jesus was making it up when he cast out demons?
You never saw a demon possessed person today? No one says it doesn't fully affect your chemical makeup in your body.

If you're talking about madmen in the church punishing people because of maddened church teaching, that's another story.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
...exactly where does it say in scripture that the Earth is flat?

Exactly! So why was the Church teaching it?

My point is that you shouldn't believe everything the Church teaches. Mind you, the Church taught this officially!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What does any of this have to do with God breaking thru self and your knowing Christ?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
What does any of this have to do with God breaking thru self and your knowing Christ?

How does it feel to be but an infidel and thus subject to death by those who follow the(rather idiodic) teachings of Islam, which their BOOk says is what you deserve? Books, smooks, let's take care of each other and that will honor God.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding:

Well, in our modern times, let's mention the BIG BANG!

Scientists (not the Church)...consider the BIG BANG to have created the entire Universe from a infinitesimal spot. Out of the itsy bitsy spot...EVERYTHING in the ENTIRE universe appeared in less than the tiniest fraction of a second. (Of course, that sounds awful familiar with scripture: God spoke, and everything came into being...) But should be believe ALL scientists? A couple of renegade brainy folk at the University of Chicago think the BIG BANG may have been localized!!!!!! Wow!

Augustine in 480AD thereabouts, writes in his famous work, "City Of God", how scientists of his day consider the Earth to be rrrrooOuunnd! Don't recall reading 'him' being drawn and quartered for that announcement. Tho he was Catholic, maybe the scientists expounding such things were... not.

Concerning demon possession, well, what does real demon possession look like if you think it may exist? Christ was being 'stalked' (as the story goes in scripture)...and the person kept yelling out to everyone that here was Christ, etc etc...everywhere he went. He later identifies that person as a demon. Since demons saw Christ while he was in heaven, they absolutely noticed him here. Perhaps this one noticed him too well. Or how about Judas at the table, where Christ was eating with his apostles, and he says one of them is the devil? Or when Peter was trying to forbid Christ from going to the cross, and in so doing got the rebuke:' Get behind me, Satan'. Not just the devil, Satan himself.

How about devil when he went into all those swine, drove the swine crazy so they killed themselves, and the swine owner was driven out of the swine-business?

Or how about what happens when a devil goes out of a man...? I always was intrigued by that one, because once he goes out, and you don't keep the door closed with God holding the door firmly shut, it says, the devil gets lonely for his old place, finds 7 friends more wicked than himself, and goes back and enters his old 'house'...and the condition of that man is far worse than the first.

Do you think it's merely all about chemicals, brain patterns, and medical diagnosis?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Do you think it's merely all about chemicals, brain patterns, and medical diagnosis?

Absolutely!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding:
Well, let me rephrase the question...somewhat!

Do you think television and radio is all about wires, chips, and diagnostic software?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me guess. Spaulding is going to say,
Absolutely! Jesus was obviously talking about chemical imbalance, not demons he had thrown out of heaven because of their pride. Those swine? Merely a stampede. Satan entering Judas at the dinner table. Indigestion, my friend. It's elementary.
If Christ had some Rolaids with Him, the rest of the story would be far different. This thing about the devil going out of a person? Come on. DId you ever see a devil walking around the streets at night looking for a place to stay, finding 7 others probably standing around the street corners, and taking themn back and breaking into the house of someone who just cleaned up the place by throwing the bum out in the first place? Nonsense. It's all logical. It's a bi-polar condition. You can get that treated now. All seven, no, all eight of them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Phil Knox,

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug's list above is misconceived, especially "the church" and "teaching". His motive? My inference is that he believes one should find a "church" that agrees with what you want to believe. Not a new idea. That's why new ones are springing up every day.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you think television and radio is all about wires, chips, and diagnostic software?

I guess. I'm not very technologically-minded, though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Doug Spaulding:
Well, let me rephrase the question...somewhat!

No. Its about diodes and transistors and the means of decoding a coded transmission sent on a carrier wave as a series of digital bits that represent pixel colors or intensities. If we did not know that it would appear to us uneducated viewers as if it were magic, or the voice of the Gods, except for the programming content, that would give it away.