Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by libRArY:
The First Evangelical Free Church of Fullerton, California.

Ah, an autonomous, congregational faith sprung from, I believe, the Swedish Lutherans. I studied most branches of Christianity during my pursuit of my BTh a few years ago.

Thank you.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:
I don't know Doug---aren't you afraid of starting an inter-denominational war on this thread?

For the record, I'm a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

No, not at all. In fact, I believe that the better we know one another, the less likely we are to be hostile to one another. Even posting a photo would help.

Another Lutheran-based faith. Good. Luther was a good man.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

No, not at all. In fact, I believe that the better we know one another, the less likely we are to be hostile to one another. Even posting a photo would help.

Another Lutheran-based faith. Good. Luther was a good man.

Weeeelllll---I wish I shared your optimism on that front! Fact of the matter is, religion is always going to be a subject of contention, no matter what.

Luther was a good man in many ways---in others, unfortunately perhaps not so much. There's no doubt that he had a TREMENDOUS influence on the history of the Christian church. Oh, no doubt the Roman Catholic church would have splintered in time; that was just the way the wind was blowing. But he helped the process along considerably.

The Lutherans are an interesting bunch (of course I would say that, wouldn't I...) There is no world-wide Lutheran church, similar in structure to the Roman Catholic or Anglican churches (for instance). The Lutheran church is pretty much autonomous in every country in which it has a presence. And in the case of some countries (like the US), there are several autonomous branches of the Lutheran church.

All branches share some core beliefs, of course. However, the ELCA (of which I am a member) realises that there are many different viewpoints regarding scripture, and so does permit a certain amount of leeway for individual interpretation.

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New Church (Swedenborgian.) There aren't enough to actually have too many church congregations, so a small group of us get together a few times a year. The rest of the time I attend the United Church of Christ but only on the condition that I get to call it the Congregational.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Orthodox.
St. Lawrence in Felton, CA.
Under the Greek Patriarchate, but we're 99% converts. Our music is more Russian-based.

Dandy, FYI, First Congregational in Santa Cruz is the venue for all sorts of concerts, meetings, etc.
The locals call it "Primo Congo".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Swedenborgians have some terrific ideas with regards to new thought within their faith. I guess that's why the name. Smiler

The Orthodox are a beautiful, rich faith. And old - going all the way back to the Eastern/Western split of 1054.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
That's interesting, Dandelion---I confess I had never even heard of that religious group before you posted! So, I looked the church up on-line to get a sense of where you're coming from.

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good friend asked today if I was Christian. Well, we are not supposed to judge ourselves or others spiritually, but I know what I believe, so I said, "I was brought up that way, yes."

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
A good friend asked today if I was Christian. Well, we are not supposed to judge ourselves or others spiritually, but I know what I believe, so I said, "I was brought up that way, yes."

Where do you get that idea, dandelion? You can judge other Christians. Not throwing the book at them, but with kindess and great mercy draw them back from the wrong ways. But you are not to judge non-Christians. This is scriptural. But this idea about yourself? Not scriptural.
Read: 1st Corinthians, verses 28-32.
or judging flase prophets: Galatians 1, verse 8

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, that's a related idea...defining Christianity by actions, not just beliefs. The New Church is opposite to the attitude of "Okay, I'm saved, now I don't have to worry about how I act." In fact, they rate actions and intentions higher than beliefs.

posted Hide Post
quote:
In fact, they rate actions and intentions higher than beliefs.

So do I.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, that's a related idea...defining Christianity by actions, not just beliefs. The New Church is opposite to the attitude of "Okay, I'm saved, now I don't have to worry about how I act." In fact, they rate actions and intentions higher than beliefs.

Hmm! Oh Yummy! Just the kind of conversation I like. Not ignoring the book of James, then, dandelion, how do you recon with the book of Ephesians, Chapter 2, verses 8 thru 10.

Which reads in part: "God saved you by his special favor when you believed. And you can't take credit for this: it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. etc."

posted Hide Post
Raised a Roman Catholic, I travel occasionally between Baptist, Evangelical and Roman Catholic services.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:Not ignoring the book of James, then, dandelion, how do you recon with the book of Ephesians, Chapter 2, verses 8 thru 10.

Which reads in part: "God saved you by his special favor when you believed. And you can't take credit for this: it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. etc."

Many passages in the Bible which seem contradictory aren't, depending on interpretation.

posted Hide Post
dandelion: That doesn't answer my question. I was asking your understanding of scripture in terms of salvation. Is it by actions or belief?