Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
patrask. All those questions you asked, are found in scripture. Along with the answers.

Other than that your ideas are very New Age, Lots of Hindu and Buddists beliefs as well. Are you a Buddist?

GENERALLY, DEPENDING ON THE CIRCUMSTANCES OF ONE'S BIRTH, LOCATION, TIME, COUNTRY ETC., ONE COULD BE INDOCTRINATED TO BE ANY OF A NUMBER OF THE WORLD'S RELIGIONS BY THE PARENTS ONE RECEIVED AT BIRTH, THUS HAVING LITTLE CHOICE IN THE FINAL OUTCOME. THUS, THE TRUTH WOULD BE SET FOR SUCH A ONE. I WOULD LIKE TO THINK IF THAT ONE WERE ME, THAT I WOULD NOT ACCEPT WHAT I WAS TOLD TO BE THE TRUTH , BUT SEEK ANSWERS EVERYWHERE I COULD LOOK, AND THEN ARRIVE AT MY OWN TRUTH, BECASUE GOD, OR THE CREATOR, HAS GIVEN MY THE POWER TO DO SO.

I AM NOT ANYTHING, THEREFORE, BUT A TRAVELER ON A QUEST TO FIND MY TRUTH AND ITS A LONG JOURNEY WITH MANY TWISTS AND DEAD ENDS. THE PROCESS IS COMPELLING FOR ME, MUST BE OF USE TO ME, OTHERWISE I WOULD STOP AND ACCEPT ANY ANSWERS THAT WERE OFFERED TO ME. I TRAVEL ON.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
- Proverbs 3:5

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:

When I long ago read a passage in Ray Bradbury's writings, one of those passages that grabs you and shakes you and you walk around for a half afternoon wondering how is it that you can feel so beautiful while the world seems to go on without knowing anything... I didn't question how the stuff was written, who all conspired together, or just what phrases or words were hijacked and entered into the context of the story, or omitted. Instead, I took pleasure in the effect it had on me. It seemed to nearly change my whole outlook for a while. Sometimes, even a long, long, long while longer. I was more interested in..."What was it that I was experiencing? Why was it so gosh darn... beautiful? Why was it so wonderful? Why did it make me want to seek out the creator of what I had read?"

When I read scripture, when I read that the Holy Spirit will lead me into truth, the very beauty of what is written prompts me to think that..no man with even a pen of all the greatest minds of the world combined, could come up with what it is saying is real and genuine.

And, thus, I am not interested in the human authors that penned scripture. I am interested in the author who moved the mind and hearts of men to pen. The author who is God.

I agree with Braling II. Well said. Why someone constructs words and phrases and ideas as they do will forever be on the discussion table concerning great poets and writers.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Q: Do you believe in the devil?

A: No!

Evil is real, but an external being who causes it is a human projection of part of our own reality into the external world of being. The devil is an excuse, someone to blame, part of the system of control that religious institutions set up to keep themselves dominant.

Belief in an external devil has done more harm than we can imagine. Executing the witches of Salem, Massachusetts, is only one of them.

It is time for the human race to grow up and let go of these childish ideas.

- John Shelby Spong

Give 'em hell, Bishop!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...Executing the witches of Salem...

If Mary Bradbury would have been executed we'd not have Ray Bradbury.

http://hometown.aol.com/MaryARoots/trial.index.html

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rest my case!

Divell is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Questioner: Do you believe in the devil.

Spong: NO!

Doug Spaulding!

Once again I must attack the words of Spong with the words of Christ.

Christ said he came into the world to destroy the works of the devil.

Now does Spong think Jesus Christ has something wrong there with his mission? Of course he does. He knows more than Christ.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding's Bishop Spong has obviously been so abused by the realities of life that he can no longer perceive the realities of Christ. Throw in a measure of sin in the mix and you got a banged-up job of delusion that no one can extricate himself (or herself) from except by the love of Christ. (You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free - Jesus Christ)

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Once again I must attack the words of Spong with the words of Christ.

Midrash!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding you talk from both sides of your mouth. Mishmash!

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clever. But your argument doesn't hold water. I only talk from one side of my mouth - I learned it from W. C. Fields.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
From the script of the Twilight Zone episode
"The howling Man" (emphasis mine):

JEROME
I'm sorry for you, my son. All your life,
you will remember this night. And you'll
know, Mister Ellington, whom you have turned
loose upon the world.

ELLINGTON
I-I didn't believe you. I saw him and
didn't recognize him.

JEROME
That is man's weakness... and Satan's strength.

Ellington stares hard in the direction of the Devil's escape.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fiction. Reality. Two different things!

You're defending your viewpoint of a theological question by quoting a line from a TV series of fiction.

I once asked George Clayton Johnson which was his favourite episode of the Zone, and he said The Howling Man, by Beaumont. I said I can't pick just one, but it's always been one of my favourites, too.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Well, you seem to enjoy fiction, so...
Besides, I thought it was a very good truth that somehow made it into a '60s television script. Wouldn't make it now; we're all so much more 'enlightened' than our forebears, don't you know.

posted Hide Post
Here's a cute video I just got: sort of Johnny Cash meets Orthodoxy...
http://www.webng.com/mateliza/Man%20in%20Black/