Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
We both are about finding truth in the search for the creator, the architect of the universe. You claim to KNOW God and I claim to NO god. Other than that we are much the same, with the same human loves and questions about what we are doing here and why. You KNOW your answers, mine are continually evolving as I learn new information.

Had we been born in Egypt say in 2000 BC, you would be likley following the religion of Osiris, Horus and Isis, and it would be nearly the same as the teachings and rituals of the current Christian religion, which was adapted from that earlier source. The stories, teachings, holidays, celebrations would all appear about the same, as they are based on the Mysteries, which are teachings known then only to the the adepts and those worthy of the revealed knowledge, which concerned the events in the heavens, the timings of the year, the death and resurrection of the SUN of GOD from Winter solstice to Eoster and the vernal equinox, when He regains his power over darkness and rises again to the full height around June 21, the Summer solstice, and how that information was used to achieve a unity with the world we live in.

We have nothing new today that was not known in the time of the ancients. We continually make the mistake of believing that we are special and that somehow we are to be saved from ourselves and live on in the after life to achieve what we deserve based on our deeds in this life. That is the weighing of the soul in the Egyptian religious teachings. It must be something that all humans ask themsleves, have I lived a good life, behaved well to my fellow man and lower creatures and do I then get a reward as this existance is compelted? No one has answered that question to my satisfaction, and I beleive that each of us must undergo the weighing of his own soul at the time of his passing. I hope that I have made some contribution to an increase in the love in the present world, and that is all I can do.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
Had we been born in Egypt say in 2000 BC, you would be likley following the religion of Osiris, Horus and Isis, and it would be nearly the same as the teachings and rituals of the current Christian religion, which was adapted from that earlier source. The stories, teachings, holidays, celebrations would all appear about the same, as they are based on the Mysteries, which are teachings known then only to the the adepts and those worthy of the revealed knowledge, which concerned the events in the heavens, the timings of the year, the death and resurrection of the SUN of GOD from Winter solstice to Eoster and the vernal equinox, when He regains his power over darkness and rises again to the full height around June 21, the Summer solstice, and how that information was used to achieve a unity with the world we live in.

Mr Trask has a point. Here's an example of midrash, which I often speak of:

Forty-six similarities between Yeshua and Horus:

1. Both were conceived of a virgin.

2. Both were the "only begotten son" of a god (either Osiris or Yahweh)

3. Horus's mother was Meri, Jesus's mother was Mary.

4. Horus's foster father was called Jo-Seph, and Jesus's foster father was Joseph.

5. Both foster fathers were of royal descent.

6. Both were born in a cave (although sometimes Jesus is said to have been born in a stable).

7. Both had their coming announced to their mother by an angel.

8. Horus' birth was heralded by the star Sirius (the morning star). Jesus had his birth heralded by a star in the East (the sun rises in the East).

9. Ancient Egyptians celebrated the birth of Horus on December 21 (the Winter Solstice). Modern Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus on December 25.

10. Both births were announced by angels (this is not the same as number 7).

11. Both had shepherds witnessing the birth.

12. Horus was visited at birth by "three solar deities" and Jesus was visited by "three wise men".

13. After the birth of Horus, Herut tried to have Horus murdered. After the birth of Jesus, Herod tried to have Jesus murdered.

14. To hide from Herut, the god That tells Isis, "Come, thou goddess Isis, hide thyself with thy child." To hide from Herod, an angel tells Joseph to "arise and take the young child and his mother and flee into Egypt."

15. When Horus came of age, he had a special ritual where his eye was restored. When Jesus (and other Jews) come of age, they have a special ritual called a Bar Mitzvah.

16. Both Horus and Jesus were 12 at this coming-of-age ritual.

17. Neither have any official recorded life histories between the ages of 12 and 30.

18. Horus was baptized in the river Eridanus. Jesus was baptized in the river Jordan.

19. Both were baptized at age 30.

20. Horus was baptized by Anup the Baptizer. Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist.

21. Both Anup and John were later beheaded.

22. Horus was taken from the desert of Amenta up a high mountain to be tempted by his arch-rival Set. Jesus was taken from the desert in Palestine up a high mountain to be tempted by his arch-rival Satan.

23. Both Horus and Jesus successfully resist this temptation.

24. Both have 12 disciples.

25. Both walked on water, cast out demons, healed the sick, and restored sight to the blind.

26. Horus "stilled the sea by his power." Jesus commanded the sea to be still by saying, "Peace, be still."

27. Horus raised his dead father (Osiris) from the grave. Jesus raised Lazarus from the grave. (Note the similarity in names when you say them out loud. Further, Osiris was also known as Asar, which is El-Asar in Hebrew, which is El-Asarus in Latin.)

28. Osiris was raised in the town of Anu. Lazarus was raised in Livanu (literally, "house of Anu").

29. Both gods delivered a Sermon on the Mount.

30. Both were crucified.

31. Both were crucified next to two thieves.

32. Both were buried in a tomb.

33. Horus was sent to Hell and resurrected in 3 days. Jesus was sent to Hell and came back "three days" later (although Friday night to Sunday morning is hardly three days).

34. Both had their resurrection announced by women.

35. Both are supposed to return for a 1000-year reign.

36. Horus is known as KRST, the anointed one. Jesus was known as the Christ (which means "anointed one").

37. Both Jesus and Horus have been called the good shepherd, the lamb of God, the bread of life, the son of man, the Word, the fisher, and the winnower.

38. Both are associated with the zodiac sign of Pisces (the fish).

39. Both are associated with the symbols of the fish, the beetle, the vine, and the shepherd's crook.

40. Horus was born in Anu ("the place of bread") and Jesus was born in Livlehem ("the house of bread").

41. "The infant Horus was carried out of Egypt to escape the wrath of Typhon. The infant Jesus was carried into Egypt to escape the wrath of Herod. Concerning the infant Jesus, the New Testament states the following prophecy: 'Out of Egypt have I called my son.'" (See Point 13)

42. Both were transfigured on the mount.

43. The catacombs of Rome have pictures of the infant Horus being held by his mother, not unlike the modern-day images of "Madonna and Child."

44. Noted English author C. W. King says that both Isis and Mary are called "Immaculate".

45. Horus says: "Osiris, I am your son, come to glorify your soul, and to give you even more power." And Jesus says: "Now is the Son of Man glorified and God is glorified in him. If God is glorified in him, God will glorify the Son in himself, and will glorify him at once."

46. Horus was identified with the Tau (cross).

But other than that, they're two compleatly different stories!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where did this list come from, and what are the sources?

I've heard these before, but never any proof, good sir!

Especially for the Isis Meri one.

Do they return to a Mr. Massey or a Mr. Crowley, perhaps?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nico,

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:

I made it up.

You, kind sir, are what we call a skeptic.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding, after reading (&re-reading, I am sure) Leviticus 19:31 (in response to your elaborate nonsense above):
http://www.bible.cc/leviticus/19-31.htm

check out this website for more nonsense:
http://www.ecauldron.net/humor58.php

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You got me, good sir! You got me!

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which Egyptian deity decapitated his own mother with a sword? I thought it was Horus.

Any sources on modern Horus or Mithra worship (if any?)

http://thedevineevidence.com/jesus_similarities.html

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More ZEITGEIST nonsense!

Jesus was the fulfillment of hundreds of Old Testament
prophecies.

The problem with Jesus is that he says he will exchange his life for your life. That's heavy duty!!

You will, in fact, begin to have his mind.

This process, unfortunately, is most often painful, requiring that you become humble and turn away from your sin, (Oh, big demand). That you put self serving attitudes away from your life. You do this solely thru the power Christ gives you in order to do this...

...and thereby God can begin letting you see thru the eyes of Christ. Of course, we see in pin-pricks, but OH!! what a sight of light!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:

...and thereby God can begin letting you see thru the eyes of Christ. Of course, we see in pin-pricks, but OH!! what a sight of light!

Light? Nard, you're totally deluded by Big Pray, and other such nefarious organizations.

Look at what you're saying.

SIGHT. of LIGHT: Light refers to the Egyptian Sun god, Ra. Sight refers to the all seeing eye that sat atop pyramids. And the word "pin-pricks" is really an analogy referring to Osiris's body being chopped up and placed into an ox cart laden with needles.

the word "God" is really an acronym for "go out diving" which was Odin's favorite pastime after a long day of flying with his ravens. And "Eyes of Christ" refers to the large eyes on the the elaborate funeral masks worn by middle-new kingdom Egyptian pharaohs, called "eyes of Kha-rusta" in the Egyptian Book of the Dead.

I wish you condescending religionists would be logical and realize that religion was invented by Sun-worshipping Freemason reptiles who wield tin laser forcefields and hail from Planet X, which will collide with earth in The Year of Our Moon 2012.

posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:

Light? Nard, you're totally deluded by Big Pray, and other such nefarious organizations.

Look at what you're saying.

Okay! That's that!

I came on this board to do one thing:

• Figure out why Bradbury was so endearing to the reader.

I did that in detail, explaining the process, in various postings thru the years.
I also explained why I was able to do that, explaining in various postings thru the years.

There is no mystery here. I went on a voyage to find answers back when I was a teenager and it took me years to nail down those details. I posted them here.

I came to know a personal relationship with Jesus Christ by following the trails Ray Bradbury left out in the sand, so to speak. Along the way to that discovery, I met and discovered many interesting people, events, places and situations. Unfortunately, much of my foolish-head-strong and weak psyche that enables even the big-headed person to wind up in situations he can only say is alarming, was in full working condition in my life.

But thru it all, the Lord finally got a hold of me. Right afterwards, Bradbury was the first person I told about my Christian conversion. He said he was glad that he was a Christian influence in my life. However, I didn't know Ray didn't walk the walk. And so I felt impelled to express to him who Christ was and is.

Years later, I stood in his dining room one day, right after his stroke, and with an open book of his stories on a table before me, expressed my inability to understand how he could miss the person of Jesus Christ since Christ was vibrantly shimmering thru the prose of his stories. Figured Ray couldn't understand what I was saying. And I couldn't 'understand why he didn't understand. He only shook his head. I may have shook my head as well.

I also sat with him one afternoon in his study and read the first few lines of the book of Ephesians in the New Testament, where it says that "...God knew us before he created the Universe!" ...that in itself is mindboggling, "...and made a way for each of us to be pleasing to him." Unable to recognize sin and the sinner with open arms, "...God provided a means by where Jesus Christ would take control of a person's soul, and usher him or her into heaven and before the Father, even in this life, finding us pleasing and acceptable." And all this is done in this way: God recognizes His son and welcomes Him in, but does not, so to speak, recognize us. Doesn't matter. Christ now is our face and is US!

That's all written in the first part of Ephesians. Well, Ray shook his head. I sat there in disbelief, quite frankly, and expressed it: "How can you not believe that?" I asked.

And so that's where all these board discussions are now going. Bradbury expressed a few weeks ago before a wild audience that he was god. That did it! A wonderful man, Ray Bradbury, a great person who has befriended and helped countless people, an amazing talent, and he somehow slides into this 'new age', ancient mystic Indian crap. At nearly 89 years of age, how did he arrive at this mind-set? I blame it on Mr. Electrico. And I've posted that thru the years.

Not everything is here, amongst all the postings, thru the years. Deeper meanings to these revelations are needed, of course, someday. But the skeleton of what is true is laid out here for all to read...

And so I bow out of any further talk here!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: Please drop me an email so I have your current address. I hate to see you leave here.

Others: I am always surprised with the dogmatic assertions of those who claim christians are dogmatic. A bit like the pot calling the kettle black.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently my parody was taken the wrong way.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
Nard: Please drop me an email so I have your current address. I hate to see you leave here.

Me, too. WE CAN'T LET YOU LEAVE!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've heard these before, but never any proof, good sir!

Especially for the Isis Meri one.

Do they return to a Mr. Massey or a Mr. Crowley, perhaps?

Since you ask, I have previously offered to sent you a copy of Christ in Egypt - The Horus-Jesus Connection. This nearly 600 page compiliation of all of the research that has been done in the two hundred years since the Rosetta Stone was found and the Egyptian religion came to light will convince you of what Doug Spalding lists as correspondences between Horus and Jesus. Looking back even further to the Library of Alexandria and sources that still exist despite all attempts to crush the information by the Church, the story of how Christianity came into being becoomes a clearer picture. I have read Massey's Egypt - The Light of the World and that is only one of the references quoted in the book. Anyone who trusts their faith and wants to know the truth about how the New Testatment came into being would do well to read this book, there are others, as it puts all the questions that you ask into a readable and referencable format. Your specific question about Isi-Meri and the Virgin Birth is handled in a chapter called The Virgin Isis-Meri. Happy reading to you.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I first met Ray Bradbury in 1959 when I was 17 at a talk he gave at the Unitarian Universalist church in WLA. I have read everything Ray has written and own most of it in one form or another. His message to Mankind is that we are incomplete, but have the potential to become better and that we should be looking to the stars out there as our new home. Why? Because that is what Man is about. Learning, observing, and hopefully experiencing the joy of that acquired knowledge through hard work and an open mind to the revelations that will come in the effort. If Ray were only a Christian, his writings would have been much different, more restricted, less open to the "What If" that he seems to always begin with. To try and put Ray into a Christian mold would be to rob us of his creativity and his openmindedness to the possibilities that he has written about, from finding The Man on another Planet to Fire Balloons on Mars. I like him as he is and thank God that he allowed such a beautiful mind to come into this troubled world to help us see ourselves in a better light, with such positive messages that echo what Mr. Electrico told him: "Live Forever".

Those of you who have found peace in your religion, be at peace and be less inclined to want to change others who do not see the world in your vision of it. There is room for all to appreciate the words of our beloved Ray without asking him to change and become what he is not.

From a guy who started writing for pulp rags and comic books, to one of the most recognized and appreciated and prolific writers, up there with the likes of Poe, Melville, Verne, Shaw, Dickenson and the greats on that library shelf, he has had his dream come true - he is one of them, now for the ages, and will truly "live Forever".