Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

Ray would eschew anything to do with intelligence - he's an emotionalist.

Well, that's just plain nonsense! If that's what you think is happening, it's your intelligence that is missing. And if it's about emotionalism, it must take intelligence to drive it into the right directions or you begin to accept every whim wind and doctrine and idea of everyone that passes your path. Your riding the high tide of emotionalism. Isn't that the way Edgar Allen Poe died? He got caught up one afternoon in a euphoria of emotions at a political rally and ran his brain aground, and his life.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by libRArY:
You're riding the high tide of emotionalism

Thank God! At last.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
You're riding the high tide of emotionalism

Thank God! At last.

Well, now you are talking nonsense because you are taking a post-bite and trying to make sense out of it. Maybe that's why Bradbury tends to be contradictory as dandelion mentions. Emotionalism unbridled tends not to see much of what it's stepping into, be it silver, gold or cow pies.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Emotionalism unbridled tends not to see much of what it's stepping into, be it silver, gold or cow pies.

They all have their place, and they're all good.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's a false alternative to say that Ray is an emotionalist as though that means he is not about reason as well. He clearly celebrates emotion. He clearly writes in an outburst of emotion. But I don't think that means that reason does not play a part in his writing. He uses metaphor to say things, but the question is whether he's saying things that are not intelligent, non-rational, or irrational. In my mind, it doesn't follow from the claim that he writes in an emotional framework to say that he would have nothing to do with intelligence. I agree with libRArY (just noticed the CAPS were RAY--I, obviously, lack some intelligence) that emotionalism unbridled leads to trouble.

Did you want to mitigate that claim at all, or are you fine with it as is?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"If we listened to our intellect we'd never have a love affair. We'd never have a friendship. We'd never go in business because we'd be cynical: "It's gonna go wrong." Or "She's going to hurt me." Or, "I've had a couple of bad love affairs, so therefore..." Well, that's nonsense. You're going to miss life. You've got to jump off the cliff all the time and build your wings on the way down."

- Ray Bradbury

"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."

- Ray Bradbury

I'm fine with it as is.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug, those two quotes are consistent with Bradbury's "throw up in the morning" phase of unbridled creative writing.

However, there is also the "clean up at night" phase, which is more to do with engaging the intellect in evaluating the worth of what your creativity has generated.

You're presenting just the one side!

Oh, hang on, this is that religous thread, isn't it. The one I never read or respond to!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
However, there is also the "clean up at night" phase, which is more to do with engaging the intellect in evaluating the worth of what your creativity has generated.

You are right, of course. However, I was only speaking of the creative part.

This is the religious thread? I hadn't even noticed.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
The emotions don't always line-up with the word of God.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
The emotions don't always line-up with the word of God.

Not all of the emotions, but some, if only one.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just like his accent.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Philnic: you beat me to the punch. There IS the clean up part. Also, even Ray recognizes, in F451, that we must think in order for there to be meaning. It can't all be irrational or nonrational feeling and floating day to day without any analysis. Balance, my friends, balance.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it is not a sin to feel emotion in any way, but what can make it a sin is what you do with that emotion ex. you can feel angry and not do anything = no sin

Posts: 27 | Registered: 12 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, sin is in the mind of those who set the rules. Sin was originally a god, the moon, there are other references. Sin is now something bad that is decided by a religious organization to modify, and thus control, the behavior of its believers, thus, SIN and BEAUTY are in the mind of the beholder. My SIN is not your SIN and therefore is not real. Only a definition of a behavior that wants to be controlled by another for their purposes. Sin not, that you shall not be sined against.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrask: Jesus, the creator of Mr. Patrask, said that if you say you have no sin, you are a liar, and your father, the devil, is the father of lies.
I was a liar. Once upon a time before I met Jesus and he sent his Holy Spirit, the same Spirit he sends to believers since Pentecost.
You should experience it.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post