Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
I am partial to Irish coffee.

As am I my liberal friend, as am I (although usually I just leave out the coffee!)

Nothing like sipping the eve away with a bit of the Bushmills.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
Love is all you really need - John Lennon.

Right, and a couple thousand years ago a fellow called Jesus said the same thing. Two millenia of human interaction has put words in his mouth!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding: Give it up. Are you alergic to scripture? You never quote it. You can't back up most of the things you say on this board! Like, what sort of nonsense is your John Lennon remark?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't exhaust yourself arguing with liberals like Spaulding. They have a come-back for everything, like a hyper-active little kid with his hand caught in the cookie jar. It's your fault, it's not what it seems, and it's okay!

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrask says:

quote:
I find that mission as a true search for GOD.

No worries. He already knows where YOU are. Where He is at the moment is unimportant.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Are you allergic to scripture? You never quote it. You can't back up most of the things you say on this board! Like, what sort of nonsense is your John Lennon remark?

1. I dislike "scripture quoters"

2. Scripture, out of context, is meaningless. And scripture is almost always used out of context.

3. I can't back it up with Bible, if that's what you mean. But there is so much more to The Truth than just what is contained in the Bible.

4. That was Mr Trask's remark, I just played off it.

5. So, when are we gonna go to Disneyland?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding: Your #3 clinches it. It's the Doug Spaulding philosophies, like the Hugh Hefner philosophies. It's all crap.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding brings to this forum a modern day liberal atittude to scripture. No use knocking him on the noggin. Won't get anyone anywhere. The Roman Catholic church has its radical segments, which includes the Log Cabin Catholics, made up of homosexuals who believe their behaviour is covered by God's grace. The Protestants have a multitude of groups. To the extreme, the Jehovah Witnesses, who pretty much alter the fundamental definition of Jesus Christ. Or to Unitarians, under the name of Christians, who let anyone in, pro or con of any religion or any belief. This, again, done under the blanket covering of "love".

Hence, it all becomes a pure morass of hyper confusion to the novice stepping forth into the maelstrom of all these beliefs. If you want to be a Christian, you adhere to scripture. You want to be something else, adhere to something else. It's really that simple.

When Christ says by learning of Him you will begin a living relationshiop with Him, this is no tale out of a story. In a crude way of saying it to get the point across, You will meet that dead guy who is alive today. When you meet him, you'll see God.

Once you meet Christ, you don't let sexual promiscurity run rampant. It'll change your fundamental knowledge about God, about Christ, and about the meaning of Love. When scripture talks about sin creating strong delusion inside of one, it's no surprise there are so many crackpot Christian beliefs out there. When people are comfortable with their sin, they are happy to accomodate a church that fits their beliefs and lifestyle.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Or to Unitarians, under the name of Christians, who let anyone in, pro or con of any religion or any belief. This, again, done under the blanket covering of "love".

Let anybody in? Sounds a lot like Jesus, eh?

quote:
If you want to be a Christian, you adhere to scripture.

Not exactly; if you want to be a Biblican, you adhere to scripture. If you want to be a Christian, you adhere to Christ!

Too many Christians worship the Bible, or at least put it on much too high a pedestal. That would be idolatry.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug Spaudling:

Doubletalk!

Unitarians letting everyone in does not make them Christians. Few there, if any, take up their cross and follow Jesus. It's a self-promoting place.

Secondly, Here you go again with doubletalk. The gospel IS the declared word of God in writing. No Gospel (Bible) no way to know Christ. Or, have you found another way that has eluded the apostles of old?

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Peace be to you who have found your answers in the gospels. The word of God was, unfortunately, not written by God, but by humans who complied, edited, redacted, omitted and who had agendas and wished to influence and conrol the minds of other people. I see that they have succeeded. I am both happy that you are happy in your beliefs, and saddened that you cannot go with those of us who will move on to the next phase of the Human Race. Someday others will look back on this last 2000 years and marvel at what people actually believed to be the truth.

By the way, Unitarian Universalists do not let anyone in, they just choose not to exclude anyone, which is not the case with most Christians, Muslims, and some other religions, that demand all or nothing, my God is better than your God exclusionary beliefs.

Someday, if we mature enough, Mankind may see through all of this and take responsibility for his own actions and not rely on the will or law of some devine entity, as transmitted through the mind of men, to choose the path for us. We should learn to act as gods to each other, and forgive ourselves and learn to help each other through love and the understanding that we share common life experiences and are all valuable in our moment of living.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
embroiderer says:

quote:
"The gospel IS the declared word of God in writing."

Embroiderer: Two things. First, there are hundreds of millions of nice folks out there who believe OTHER books are the Official Word of God. You have to accept this, or you'll go crazy. Anytime anyone stands up and declares "Mine is the Only Word," that person is immediately suspect. It's always a matter of faith. And others have a right to their faith.
God doesn't care by what name you call Him, or how you worship Him. He's bigger than that. Stating it's your way or the highway is just another form of predjudice...

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See "Bridge to Terabithia," or read the book. Seriously.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to some of the people here, the following are a immature lot, deceived and brainwashed. They have accepted and believed in Jesus Christ. They have written about Christ, talked about Him, and lived Him. Oh, poor things! Sad! If only they were as smart of some on this board.

C.S. Lewis
Robert Louis Stevenson
William F. Buckley
Billy Graham
Fulton J. Sheen
Mother Theresa
Martin Luther King
George Washington
Charles Spurgeon
John Milton
John Bunyon
Thomas Kempis
Fred(Mr.)Rogers
actor Chuck Norris
boxer George Foreman
James Naismith (inventor of basketball)
J.R.R.Tolkien
T.S.Elliot
John Tesh
John Adams
Patrick Henry
Wilbur and Orville Wright
Isaac Newton
Galileo Galilei
Nicolas Copernicus
Johannes Kepler
Actress Rhonda Fleming
Andy Griffith
Roy Rogers
Loretta Young
Michael Reagan (Ronald Reagan's adopted son)
Orel Herschiser, baseball
Eric Liddell (Chariots of Fire)
Jesse Owens
Zig Ziggler
Oswald Chambers
G.K. Chesterton
Dan quayle
Clarence Thomas
Alan Keyes
Corie Ten Bloom
Evander Holyfield

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Phil Knox,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
Doubletalk!

Which definition?

1. Speech using nonsense syllables along with words in a rapid patter.
2. Deliberately evasive or ambiguous language.

Because neither seems to fit me. Evasive? To the contrary, I cut to the heart of the matter.

"Live Forever!"