Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:
Wait a moment, are these clips meant to be serious, or are they some kind of spoof?

Oh, they're compleatly serious. I grew up among these types of church-people, and they will definitely try to scare you into their belief-structure.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heaven is a place where:
The lovers are Italian
The cooks are French
The mechanics are German
The police are English
The government is run by the Swiss

Hell is a place where:
The lovers are Swiss
The cooks are English
The mechanics are French
The police are German
The government is run by the Italians

As for Purgatory (not an Orthodox doctrine, by the way) I like what C.S. Lewis said,
(paraphrasing, as memory serves) he could imagine a type of Purgatory in which women would have to keep still and not get involved and men would have to keep getting up to do things.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful, Mr B.

Thanks for reminding me never to seek a Swiss lover!

(Wouldn't the Italians and the French be interchangeable for cooking and loving?)

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Come all that labor onto me, and I will give you rest for your souls."
Jesus Christ
Matthew 11:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MazsmeFPKFw

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good.

Then there's this one.

This is just plain David Lynch strange.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I propose that we of the bradbury board take time out to say a prayer for one of our own, who is, I believe, about to undergo surgery.
May God be with you in your time of concern. Those of us who have been there know how important prayer can be when someone is hurting, has fear, and is in pain. You are in our thoughts today.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know who you are talking about and I agree - this fine fellow has certainly been in my thoughts of late, and we send up the very best prayers, like sweet incense rising to meet the Creator.

Brightest blessings, old friend, and you're going to be just fine.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
AXIOS!

http://audio.ancientfaith.com/specials/aac2008/aac_2008..._metjonah_vision.mp3

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08318/927528-85.stm?cmpid=news.xml

I've known him since he was a young layman. And it's great to have some good news for a change!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a minute there I thought you were talking about this Axios!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

Oh, they're compleatly serious. I grew up among these types of church-people, and they will definitely try to scare you into their belief-structure.
That is really rather sad. Those films have camp value today, but of course the message they are imparting is not amusing at all. A religion that is based on fear? I honestly don't understand it. All you have to do is think of God and all that He has done, and you'll be a bit in awe and admiration; who could not love a creator like that?

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:
Those films have camp value today...

They sure do - especially the Heaven video. That one is so bizarre that David Lynch could remake it as his next short film!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug and patrask
Have you ever read the historian Yosef Ben Matityahu's writings of the time of Jesus Christ? Patrask seems to think there is no evidence of the existence of Jesus. Yet, here Matityahu wrote, in 75AD The Jewish War, and a decade later, the Antiquities of the Jews, where the evidence of a real Jesus is presented.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Doug and patrask
Have you ever read the historian Yosef Ben Matityahu's writings of the time of Jesus Christ? Patrask seems to think there is no evidence of the existence of Jesus. Yet, here Matityahu wrote, in 75AD The Jewish War, and a decade later, the Antiquities of the Jews, where the evidence of a real Jesus is presented.

Rather than continue this back and forth, I recommend you to the following and let you do your own research there.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie...300&q=Josephus+jesus Josephus vs Jesus etc.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask, Well, let's see:

Have you ever read? - etc
Your answer, I figure is: NO!

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Doug and patrask

No, I haven't read Yosef. It's probably very good. I have read some Josephus, however.

There's no question in my mind that my lord and saviour Yeshua the Christ lived.

There are only two really important things in the world, and he is the first.

"Live Forever!"