Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Mr. Knox, sir.
What patrask and his ilk want is to be able to do whatever they want without guilt.
The kind of society they want seems to be what ours is becoming.
"Panem et circenses", my friend.
I'm afraid that's where we're headed.

As for compassion, I just started a good book:
"Who Really Cares" by Arthur C. Brooks.
Check it out.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask. You never answered my questions to you from the Bible. They were just a few. You said you read the Bible. I await your answers to the questions I posted a couple days ago. (posting on November 6th, 2008, 1:31PM)

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What patrask and his ilk want is to be able to do whatever they want without guilt.

It appears that there are two kinds of people in the world (as they say, and never the twain shall meet): those who want to see equality for all humankind, and those who would prefer to see their personal religious dogmas imposed on (or followed by) all the others.

Perhaps we should just realise that fact of nature and let this thread lay dormant - it doesn't appear that much good is coming from it, other than being able to talk our talk, which is good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Non sequitur there, Dougster.
It does not follow that if one is not a proselytizing member of some religon that he must then be an adherent to some Live and Let Live Brotherhood of Man philosophy. I'm surprised you'd make such a thoughtless statement. Witness gang members as one example.
What is often the case is that when a non-believer is in conversation with a believer, he often feels proselytized.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Braling II,

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm rather surprised that you were surprised!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spaulding. I am surprised that you were surprised that Braling was surprised.

But, nonetheless, don't we all love surprises.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised I misspelled 'surprise'!
(I've since made the correction)

posted Hide Post
I've been wondering whether to jump into this discussion---probably not much point, because those who are participating have already made up their minds the subject, and are not about to change their opinions.

I may add a few comments later, but had to mention this editorial, which was in today's paper. I'll try a link to it: http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20081107/COLUMS/811069929/-1/rss01
If this doesn't work, just do a google search for the terms "Cal Thomas: Religious right, R.I.P."

I usually disagree with just about everything Mr Thomas usually writes about! But in this case, I think he is SPOT ON. At least, I agree with the gist of what he is saying in this particular case, regarding the combination of evangelical Christianity and politics.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: theoctobercountry,

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I'm surprised I misspelled 'surprise'!

I'm surprised that I didn't catch that you had misspelled surprise!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Oh, this is a surprise!

Ted Turner says he divorced his wife Jane Fonda because she didn't talk to him about her conversion to Christianity.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081108/ap_on_en_ot/books_ted_turner

And for those who think Christianity is a snap, take note of Jane Fonda, who has a whole lotta years of baggage to deal with in her walk with the Lord.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoa! I never heard about that one!
Was her conversion so recent that she's still preparing her open apology-and-asking-of-forgiveness to the American people and, especially, Viet Nam vets?
I hope that's why I haven't heard it yet.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:
I've been wondering whether to jump into this discussion---probably not much point, because those who are participating have already made up their minds the subject, and are not about to change their opinions.

I may add a few comments later, but had to mention this editorial, which was in today's paper. I'll try a link to it: http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20081107/COLUMS/811069929/-1/rss01
If this doesn't work, just do a google search for the terms "Cal Thomas: Religious right, R.I.P."

I usually disagree with just about everything Mr Thomas usually writes about! But in this case, I think he is SPOT ON. At least, I agree with the gist of what he is saying in this particular case, regarding the combination of evangelical Christianity and politics.

You get an AMEN here for Cal Thomas's article. Spread love and unconditional acceptance of other's beliefs, as long as they follow the Golden Rule, and there is no harm to another person from the pratice of your beliefs.

I think the correct path would be to de-emphasize the Evangelical and re-emphasize the Christian.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rick Warren today LIVE (November 9th '08)

http://saddlebackfamily.com/mediacenter/services/Default.aspx#

NOTE: There are right now (it's only 10AM) hundreds of people demonstrating against Proposition 8, that banned sam sex marriages, in front of Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, CA. As Rick Warren continues with the service.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why are they picking on Saddleback? Did the parish take an active hand in the past election?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
You know, surprisingly the fruit prices didn't balloon after the freeze. Hope it'll hold out!

Everyone make sure to take advantage of our low commodity prices! Most fruit is much cheaper than it's been for the past year and a half.

Just in time for thanksgiving pies.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post