Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
(*sigh*) Again, I ask, doesn't anyone read the (as C.S.Lewis fondly calls them) Old Writers anymore?
Greater intellects than ours have delved deeper, thought longer, and discussed at greater length with like minds these issues...
We are a more narcissistic generation, though, so I suppose all this "I wanna figger it out myself" attitude is to be expected.
Interesting, though, is it not, how so much of these types of discussions and travesties like the 'tomb of Jesus' TV pap seem to appear around Pascha (Easter) each year, and with undeniably greater frequency and hype?

Lord, have mercy on us.

Well, I'm going to be very busy with Holy Week services (both Old and New calendar agree this year), and going to England after Pascha, so I may not check in very often for a few weeks.

By all means let's 'get back to Ray', and maybe read "Mere Christianity" in the meantime?

God bless you all 'til we meet again.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is nothing new under the sun.

Period.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
Now, if only the Library at Alexandra had not been purposely distroyed, we would have access to a much different history than is recorded in the Bible.

I keep my mind open to all possibilities and weigh all new information against prior conclusions to enable a more perfect version of the Truth to form in my mind.

The burning of the Library at Alexandria was perhaps the greatest loss of theological acadaemia the world has ever known.

patrask, your final sentence is the mark of a very intelligent person.

Next time I'm in greater Laguna, let's go round to the pub and discuss deep theological issues (and perhaps have a pint!)

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
Doug Spaulding may be the biggest fruitcake posting religious talk, but...

If someone thinks the Earth is flat...

Do you know, in the Dark Ages (even into the Middle), the "Christian" church could put one to death for claiming the earth was round! My, the things one learns over time!

Fruitcake maybe - but I'll be a 'nut' for Jesus before I'll be a pawn of the Church any day!

Fool's Gold, my hand-stitching friend; it's waiting in a crown.

"Some may call me foolish, some may call me odd. But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of men than a fool in the eyes of God."

- Bob Hartman

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
patrask: You said, "you just give up to Jesus."

Knowing Jesus requires NOT that you give up, but that you DIE!.

I believe patrask was using a metaphor (the Breakfast of Champions!). Giving up means to die.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert M Blevins:
Probably time to get back to Ray, anyway...rather than continuing on this line.

No, that's OK, Robert - that's why this thread was created.

Thanks for bringing up the DNA thing. I had a lot to say about it myself, but just didn't want to get too deep at one time.

Give me a little time - we'll talk about Cro-Magnon Man!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding. Your are probably a pretty nice fellow in person, but as a raised Roman Catholic, I find your ideas of Christ and the Christian life repugnant.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
embroiderer said:

quote:
There is nothing new under the sun.

Period.

Now...wait a moment here. How much do we REALLY know about the world around us and what's out there?

For man to make a smug statement like that is like two ants sitting on an anthill in the middle of the Sahara and postulating about what the rest of the world is like...

We're still in the Stone Age. We just THINK we know everything. Cool

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RMB: Stand by that old saying. Even in scripture it says when it comes the time to stand before your God, or when the end of life on this world and this world finishes, people will still be eating and drinking and giving in marriage and on and on and all things will be like they were in the beginning. Thumbnail sketch means, there's nothing new under the sun, nothing changes. We're not talking rocket science here!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
Now, if only the Library at Alexandra had not been purposely distroyed, we would have access to a much different history than is recorded in the Bible.

I keep my mind open to all possibilities and weigh all new information against prior conclusions to enable a more perfect version of the Truth to form in my mind.

The burning of the Library at Alexandria was perhaps the greatest loss of theological acadaemia the world has ever known.

patrask, your final sentence is the mark of a very intelligent person.

Next time I'm in greater Laguna, let's go round to the pub and discuss deep theological issues (and perhaps have a pint!)

I am partial to Irish coffee.
patrask2@cox.net

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert M Blevins:
Well...it's not like my post was original. That quote from Genesis has been used before by researchers.
I KNEW that post would generate some response, though. (lol)

Actually, I try not to get involved in the Creation theory with Christians, because whether or not you believe the Biblical version is a matter of faith. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit the known facts about the geo-history of the Earth. I mean...it DOES sound like a fable made up by ancient writers who were trying to explain their existence.

I've always had a problem with one point concerning the Creation story. Life, as we know it, and some fairly advanced forms of life by the way, have been around for more than a hundred million years. No one has explained to my satisfaction exactly how man appeared at the very last second of geo-time and gained control of the planet.

At most, mankind goes back a few million years, and if you speak of 'modern' man (not cavemen or Cro-Magnon), perhaps a couple of hundred thousand years. That is only a blink of an eye in the geological record. Personally, I think the Bible is a collection of ancient writings that were authored at different periods. Much is just the history of the Jewish people. As far as the Genesis explanation, I don't buy it. It just doesn't fit the known facts.

The scenario I proposed is actually more likely. Simply put, life evolved on a planet that, by chance, found itself thrown far enough away from the sun to have a decent chance. (Not too cold...not too hot). Then, perhaps an intelligent species happened along and made a few additions...

It would explain a lot of things. Sometimes I wonder if Native Americans and some other ancient cultures had it right all along when they worshipped things that had to do with the interaction of nature. Maybe it was NEVER about an omnipresent (and usually white) God who created the Earth in seven days. (And threw in a few billion galaxies at the same time?) Maybe it was about life and nature and its spread throughout the universe. Who knows?

I admit I have a rather cynical view toward religion in general. Most religions are based on fear, or use fear as a motivator. Religion has often been used throughout history to inspire men to things other than the worship of God. Things such as war, misery, suffering, and torture. So, my view is jaundiced, indeed.

I think the only way we will discover the answers to the two BIG questions is to go out and find them ourselves. These questions being: ARE WE THE ONLY LIFE? WHY ARE WE HERE?

Probably time to get back to Ray, anyway...rather than continuing on this line. Cool

It is for Ray that I am most grateful, he is a voice for the spirit of Mankind and always urged that we should leave our tiny little womb here on Earth and explore the Universe, to ensure our survival and to increase the wonderment that we would find around us. I find that mission as a true search for GOD.

There are those who find it comforting to eat the spoon-fed answers that come from religion, much as they ate the Pamblem that was fed to them by their Mothers, as that is the easiest and least troubling way for them to live their lives, with the priviso that the NEXT LIFE will be better. I choose to spend my allotted time learning all that I can about the world around me. Unfortunately, that means that the sphere of unanswered questions will continue to increase, not a comforting feeling for some.

Some religions have historically purposefully prevented such questioning as heretical and used the fear of not making it into the NEXT LIFE as punishment for that kind of intellectual behavior. That is nothing new. Knowlidge is power. If the shaman knew when the next eclipse was to occur he had emense power over the people and protected that information jealously. So, one story, one religion, all is well, let us take care of your spiritual life and you will be happy. What if being happy is all about learning? I am proud to die as the heretic that I am.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

No one wants to freely admit they are born with a nature that sins.
For relief, it would require the sinless nature Jesus gives.
Then were would that leave you?

Who can forgive sin?

The question was asked Jesus 2000 years ago. He was standing in the midst of a cripple. His response was also a question, but followed by action. It went like this:

Jesus asked, "What is easier to do, forgive sin, or for me to tell this cippled man to get up and walk? I shall do the easier thing." And Jesus commanded the crippled man to get up and walk, and the man got up and went home. ....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would live by The Golden Rule, do unto others what you would have done to you. Then there is no reason for sin. We just learn to help one other and empathsize with each other's failings. Love is all you really need - John Lennon.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Doug Spaulding. Your are probably a pretty nice fellow in person...

Thank you. I am nice!

You're probably nice yourself.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
...but as a raised Roman Catholic, I find your ideas of Christ and the Christian life repugnant.

No offence to your denomination, but the RC Church has done a dreadful job of teaching the historical Christ!

"Live Forever!"