Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:
Hmmm, if I can find the time I think I'll stick around for a while...

I think you'll find it very rewarding - these are really good people (even Mr Knox).

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alright folks - I'm going to retire, I gotta get up and go to preachin' in the morning.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh Gawd!

Not a liberal nonsense Spong offshoot!

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been away from the board for 24 hours.

Came back, found "Religion 101" had gained three or more extra pages.

Arguments back and forth, something to do with angels on the heads of a pin. Or which end to eat an egg from.

Memo to self: stay away from this thread!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Oh Gawd!

Not a liberal nonsense Spong offshoot!

Preachin'!

Watch in high quality, but watch.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Not everyone thinks the Bible word-for-word isn't the voice of God, either.
I prefer to read what those brilliant folks who lived and died for Christ had to say regarding the understanding of the Scriptures; St. John Chrisostom, St. Athanasius, St. Gregory The Theologian, St. John of Damascus, to name a few.

Chrysostom held Jews responsible for the crucifixion of Jesus and deicide and added that they continued to rejoice in Jesus's death. He compared the synagogue to a pagan temple, representing it as the source of all vices and heresies. He described it as a place worse than a brothel and a drinking shop; it was a den of scoundrels, the repair of wild beasts, a temple of demons, the refuge of brigands and debauchees, and the cavern of devils, a criminal assembly of the assassins of Christ. Finally, he declared that he hated the synagogue and the Jews.

I'm not too sure how much Jesus he reflected.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
And your source(s) for this diatribe?
(I know your motives now)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And your source(s) for this diatribe?

History.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Oh, never mind. Lifted from Wiki, of course.

(The same entry also includes "...A discourse against the Jews; but it was delivered against those who were Judaizing and keeping the fasts with them [the Jews]."[45] As such, some have claimed that the original title misrepresents the contents of the discourses, which show that Chrysostom's primary targets were members of his own congregation who continued to observe the Jewish feasts and fasts. Sir Henry Savile, in his 1612 edition of Homilies 27 of Volume 6 (which is Discourse I in Patrologia Graeca's Adversus Iudaeos), gives the title: "Chrysostom's Discourse Against Those Who Are Judaizing and Observing Their Fasts.")

My point, long ago stated, still stands. I prefer the words of those who lived and died for Christ.

Poor lost boy.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diatribe is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Speaking of "tribe", watch this wonderful lecture on the reason so many religious people use their religion to foster hate.

Tribal religion: the terrible texts.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Not everyone thinks the Bible word-for-word isn't the voice of God, either.
I prefer to read what those brilliant folks who lived and died for Christ had to say regarding the understanding of the Scriptures; St. John Chrisostom, St. Athanasius, St. Gregory The Theologian, St. John of Damascus, to name a few.

Chrysostom held Jews responsible for the crucifixion of Jesus and deicide and added that they continued to rejoice in Jesus's death. He compared the synagogue to a pagan temple, representing it as the source of all vices and heresies. He described it as a place worse than a brothel and a drinking shop; it was a den of scoundrels, the repair of wild beasts, a temple of demons, the refuge of brigands and debauchees, and the cavern of devils, a criminal assembly of the assassins of Christ. Finally, he declared that he hated the synagogue and the Jews.

And Marcus Aurelius MURDERED Christians!

But we still gain from his writings, do we not?

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:
And Marcus Aurelius MURDERED Christians! But we still gain from his writings, do we not?

Perhaps some do. I do not know.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
And Marcus Aurelius MURDERED Christians! But we still gain from his writings, do we not?

Perhaps some do. I do not know.

I just finished the Spong video, Douglas. Many things very well put, he is a good man. Thank you for sharing it.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just finished the Spong video, Douglas. Many things very well put, he is a good man. Thank you for sharing it.

Thanks for watching!

"Live Forever!"