Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Good luck to you all, and Merry Christmas-time.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mv2qJZ4QeDc

For all those at Christmas Time that feel like this kid in the YOUTUBE with a Snowman on his pullover. You'll get what I mean a couple minutes into the video. (bottom row, far left kid)

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the Church I attend in Southern California (Lake Forest, CA). There's going to be 14 Christmas services, with possibly 50,000 people attending. Below is a live link!

Pastor Rick Warren has been controversial. And why not!? October, 2005 "US News and World Report" named him one of America's Top 25 leaders. He was elected by TIME Magazine as one of 15 World Leaders who Mattered Most in 2004, and one of the 100 Most Influential People in the World for 2005. Newsweek magazine called him one of "15 People who Make America Great", an award given to people who, through bravery or generosity, genius or passion, devote themselves to helping others.

Live Link for 14 of the Christmas Services, starting Dec 21, 2007. Pastor Warren will be doing all 14 services. Services begin Dec 21, 6 & 8PM (all Pacific Coast time)...Dec 22, 4:30 & 6:30pm / Dec 23 9am, 11:15am, 4:30pm, 6:30pm/ Finally, Monday, Dec 24, 1, 3, 5,& 7PM

Hang in there when you click on the link, it takes sometimes a minute to begin downloading the live stream.

http://saddlebackfamily.com/mediacenter/services/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II and Nard: I'm sorry for the hard times. I have been through some myself. I hope you are able to enjoy this season and your families and that 2008 brings you into a more prosperous, healthy year; and that your faith in God and in his love will lift you into a more joyous existence.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, MD!
All the best to you and yours!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mv2qJZ4QeDc

For all those at Christmas Time that feel like this kid in the YOUTUBE with a Snowman on his pullover. You'll get what I mean a couple minutes into the video. (bottom row, far left kid)

DEFINITELY my approach. I'm not the kid in the Batman outfit who openly freaks out and has to be carried from the scene. Best to creep out as unobtrusively as possible and just keep out of sight till it's over.

Nard, what a coincidence this was filmed at your church, or not, if half the state goes there. I figured it must be a megachurch, as it looked the size of a school gymnasium.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion: Nope! Not my church!
This is:

Our Christmas service will be broadcast in California on FOX Station.

Best to you dandelion, for the upcoming Holidays!!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
dandelion: Nope! Not my church!
This is:

Our Christmas service will be broadcast in California on FOX Station.

Best to you dandelion, for the upcoming Holidays!!

Hey Nard,
My neighbor across the street from us is playing the cello at those services in your church. Her name is Nancy Clark. Best to you in this time of rebirth and cellebration.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask!!
Wow! That's great! Busy girl. Fourteen services!!

All day tomorrow, it'll still be available online (abovelink) ...or~

on FOX News Cable:
Didn't realize till now, but the Christmas service will be broadcast nationally!
Dec. 24th, 11AM Pacific StandardTime (PST);
2PM Eastern Standard Time (EST). &
6PM Pacific Standard Time (PST);
9PM Eastern Standard Time (EST). &
9PM Pacific Time, and MIDNIGHT on Eastern Standard.

AND
December 25th
(3AM, PST/ 6AM, EST)
(11AM PST/ 2PM EST)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

posted Hide Post
To All My Democrat Friends:
Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2008, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere . Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, p hysical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

To My Republican Friends:
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Twas walking in Laguna Beach tonight with my wife and came upon two guys out preaching for the night to tourists and natives alike along a busy restaurant and bar district. We had crossed the street on our way to the car when these two fellows asked us if we would like to discuss the plan of salvation as it is found in Jesus Christ. Well, two Mormon boys never looked more like two Mormon boys than these two. In a neighborhood with shorts and sunglasses, tank tops and barefeet, these two were dressed in suits, ties, dress shoes, white shirts, and badges reading "Elder". If you mistaken these two for some other organization, you had to be one of those E.T. fellows lost on Earth.

Attempting to cut to the chase...I had a wonderful time discussing Biblical salvation versus their "I need to work my way into heaven by being Good" theology! Thank you Mormon founder JOHN SMITH!

Actually, they sounded like good ol' Catholic boys in the beginning. But soon it gave way to the Book of Mormon.

Not to bore you with incidentals, let me say that they gave me a card when we bid our goodbyes, and I want to write a couple of 'THE ARTICLES OF FAITH', that is wirtten on this card. There are a total of 13 ARTICLES, all written, according to this card, by no other than the man...JOHN SMITH himself.

Two of the articles captured my 'imagination':

ARTICLE 2:
We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and NOT for Adam's transgression. (to which I had to say, What was that again??)
ARTICLE 11:
(This one is a corker!):
We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may. (WHAT? JOHN SMITH just when did you fall off your horse and bang your head?)

Well, when you start adding your own books, like The Book of Mormon, you get a mess, like those Articles of Faith on that card. Pleasant fellows, tho!

The Jehovah Witnesses did the same thing, with their own translation, NEW WORLD TRANSLATION. You can go around the discussion-block a few times with them and get nowhere. But now, I don't bother! Ever since I found out that the Jehovah Witness believes that Jesus Christ ALREADY came back the 2nd time ...in 1914, there is no further need of conversation. Conversation ended. Subject closed! Nothing else to discuss!

Oh, one more thing...

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2008 TO ALL!!!

posted Hide Post
Yup. It's all old heresies in new clothes.

Happy New Year to you too, my brotha!

posted Hide Post
Well, we have all survived another year on this crazy little blue ball of a planet in the emense background of lights and radiation that blankets us daily. The only thing constant is change, and that appears to be the state of the universe, or at least this one. My reading has taken me to rub elbows with comological physicists and searchers of the truth in religions. I am still sane, I think, and continue to bumble along making mistakes and attempting to do better next time. I have asked "God" for any help that is available to me and remain open to the answers. I had the priveldge of sitting in Ray Bradbury's study and talking with him recently. That remains the highlight of my year. Oh, and I retired, and now understand poverty, and yet have never been richer, in that I now have the time to just experience life and the beauty I find all around me. The joy that brings could not be purchased with any amount of money. Regards to all on this board of love for Ray and his works. I will begin again to re-read some of my favorites, with new eyes and learn even more.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Twas walking in Laguna Beach tonight with my wife and came upon two guys out preaching for the night...

Mormons street-preaching?! Curious.

quote:
Thank you Mormon founder JOHN SMITH!

That's Joseph!

quote:
This one is a corker...

Corker is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correct, Doug, it's Joseph! John Smith was one of my favorite actors, and, incidentally, a Catholic.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post