Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Really, that is the actual stone? Disappointing, to say the least; you'd think that Bradbury of all people would have a more imaginative and fanciful memorial. (Also, I much prefer having the entire date inscribed, rather than just the year.)

I quite like walking through Victorian-era cemeteries. There are such a huge variety of artistic headstones present in such places; it's fun to look at all the different designs. Modern cemeteries are quite dull and boring in contrast. (In this area, at least, everyone seems to choose from only three basic headstone models, whereas in Victorian times there were hundreds of designs from which to choose...)

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"...Modern cemeteries are quite dull and boring..."

Well, after all, we're so busy, you know? Must get back home in time for "Wheel of Fortune"!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Well, after all, we're so busy, you know? Must get back home in time for "Wheel of Fortune"!

An appropriate appraisal of our society, I'm afraid!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once again I hear this stuff of one being born with a certain DNA of this or that and therefore you must be this or that.

Specifically today, on TV, there was this discussion once again about homosexuality, if one is born as a homosexual or is it acquired. If you are inheritently born with genes that lean you towards homosexuality, then there is no room for acquiring it thru environment.

I look at all this stuff as utter craziness. Let's say you are born with a DNA /gene bent towards murder. How about towards simple larcency, or, let's make it very mild and say towards simple shoplifting. You have this stuff ground into your genes and DNA that says you are going to grow up unable to stay away from shoplifting. To any of these DNA-genetic bents, what say you? Act on them? Or take the toughest road of all, the moral high ground?

I may be born with a high degree of DNA-gentic leaning towards having multiple affairs once I hit 30. What then? Act on it?

That's the issue. Do we always act on what was inheritently part of our genetic make-up? And the answer, is certainly NO!

Of course, these people on television pushing their particular agenda will have nothing of the notion that behaviour must sometimes be modified around the design we have been dealt in our birthing if we are to express rightly the reality of being created in the image of God.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion:
Your post is much along the lines where one is responsible no matter with what DNA/genetic mistakings they may be born.

I know myself that it takes much work to arrive at the rest areas in life where it's not about you. But about what God has "already" completed. All along the way our struggle is to make something happen, even struggle to "give in" and "let God", as the old saying goes. Ultimately, all hard struggles, those tragedies along the road, the fight to conquer evil, is a completed work of God. If it were not so, then no road at all on which to struggle, or a destination to discover.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
...there was this discussion once again about homosexuality, if one is born as a homosexual or is it acquired.

I don't know why they're still discussing it - we are born one way or another. That's been proved scientifically.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding, it's the question that is being discussed thusly:

Do you act on, do you embrace how you are created, even if it goes against God's moral compass? If you have a genetic predisposition to alcoholism, do you become a fully attained alcoholic?(whatever that is.)If you have a predisposition to homosexuality, do you embrace homosexuality? If you have a genetic mishap and are born with 6 legs, should you go on with life and your six legs?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you supposed to do with the other four then?

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Presumably he expects the owner of the additional legs to ignore them because they are immoral, and proceed through life pretending they only have two legs. Never mind the psychological harm this will do.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No problem Phil. He could always get a job with the Home Office. After all, their catchphrase is "Diversity is our watchword".

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the other hand, look what happened to Kafka's beetle ...

posted Hide Post
Anyone remember Francesco Lentini?

Imagefrancesco_lentini.jpg (6 Kb, 7 downloads)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic/tinkerbell, I don't really understand what you thought I was saying, but what you are saying is nothing to do with my comment on the subject. And this is the problem with most secularists. They just don't get it.

Braling II: Great photo. I recon bringing up this comment can open a can of worms with the illiterate elite. As the coach said in the movie Chariots of Fire, when the Jewish fellow wanted to beat the Christian fellow in the race, but may have lacked that extra umph to do it, the coach said, "You can't put in what God has left out." Discerning moral issues is just like that. You can't understand it if God decides to keep that understanding out of your arms reach. The vacancy often gets replaced by humanism.

posted Hide Post
Au contraire, Mr Knox. We know exactly what you're saying.

Incidentally, the illiterate elite spell "recon" with a 'k'. And if God chooses to omit the possessive apostrophe in "arms reach", then far be it from me to argue.