Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
You got that one right, Braling II!

I've been reading and re-reading the book of Ephesians, in the New Testament, especially the first chapter...and how God has planned for us to be brought into his presence. It goes something like this:

It happens thru our full absorption of Christ (that's a few pages of needed clarification right there, but not tonight)... who exudes our sin thru his "filter" of who he is. Thus, we are finally who God intended us to be... (Mind boggling)! And who God intended us to be is nothing less than an image of who He is. And that cannot be imagined, and it's not even entered in our hearts. (Hey, folks, I'm just trying to explain what's written down there!)

And then I thought, well...We are simply like that angel St. Augustine met (in Roman Catholic tradition)...who was filling a hole in the sand by an oceanside beach with the water scooped-up with a clam shell. And the angel said to the meditating Augustine, that it would be easier to fill the entire ocean into that tiny hole in the sand, than for Augustine to figure out God's love.

Anyway, my big idea tonight was that all that stuff you see in Ray's writings, that blow you away, that make you experience that sense of awe and magical mystery, that sense of emotion that is so unique to his writing...well, my idea is that...all that is but a tiny little particle of experience ..that is coming in full strength someday in the future.

'Nuff said. It's after midnight!!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Faith and Hope!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And Love!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seek after these things.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What ever happened to GRACE?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She's right here:

An eye witness account from New York City, on a cold day in December, some years ago: A little boy, about 10-years-old, was standing before a shoe store on the roadway, barefooted, peering through the window, and shivering with cold.

A lady approached the young boy and said, "My, but you're in such deep thought staring in that window!"

"I was asking God to give me a pair of shoes," was the boy's reply.

The lady took him by the hand, went into the store, and asked the clerk to get half a dozen pairs of socks for the boy. She then asked if he could give her a basin of water and a towel. He quickly brought them to her.

She took the little fellow to the back part of the store and,
removing her gloves, knelt down, washed his little feet, and dried them with the towel.

By this time, the clerk had returned with the socks. Placing a pair upon the boy's feet, she purchased him a pair of shoes.

She tied up the remaining pairs of socks and gave them to him. She patted him on the head and said, "No doubt, you will be more comfortable now."

As she turned to go, the astonished kid caught her by the hand, and looking up into her face, with tears in his eyes, asked her, "Are you God's wife?"

~~~~~~~
Enjoy this autumn weekend. Remember our heroic veterans across the years and today!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very touching!
I was actually bracing myself for a different ending; something like "...looking up into her face with tears in his eyes, asked her, "Can't I have Nikes?""

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talk about going shopping...!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSqNx7vJLDE

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those interested...
... you can tune-in LIVE LINK to Saddleback Church, in Lake Forest, California. Rick Warren, the pastor, wrote what turned out to be the biggest selling book in the history of non-fiction publishing in US History: "The Purpose Driven Life".

There are 6 (SIX, count 'em)...services: Two on Saturday, 4 on Sunday. End of this month (November)...top three Republican, 3 top Democratic Presidential hopefuls will be speaking at an Aids conference at the church.

(For those not familiar with many of Southern California dress codes on Sunday services, THIS is about where it general is...)

Note: On this service, two or more pastors will be preaching at the same time, including Rick Warren.

http://saddlebackfamily.com/mediacenter/services/Default.aspx

posted Hide Post
Zowie!
Trying to picture one congregation attempting to attend to two homilists!
Say, Nard, please check out "Christianity On Trial" if you can. (I've read it and reported on it elsewhere on the board here.)

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Note: On this service, two or more pastors will be preaching at the same time.

Hope their words don't overlap!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding: Naw! Rick Warren finishes his part, somebody like Buddy Owens continues, then Rick takes over again...

Braling II:
I'll check on it. Haven't for awhile...I know it's a good, realistic book on the subject...

And while we are on the subject of Ray Bradbury (huh??)...
check out this:
http://www.webshots.com/search?media=photo&query=Ray+Br...=&source=search_menu

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

posted Hide Post
I believe they call it "tag team", do they not?

Come to Dandelion Wine tomorrow - I'm bringing Ack!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding: You'd have to come and get me as well. My wife has the car most the afternoon and evening.
By the way...did you notice the gravestone for Ray Bradbury in the link above? Gosh darn, everything is 0h so ready. All that grave stone is waiting for is a final calendar dating to be chiseled in. (see image 1452 above link)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
...did you notice the gravestone for Ray Bradbury in the link above?

Yeah - I took a photo of it some months ago but chose not to post it.

I guess it's out of the bag now.

"Live Forever!"