Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
And question 6:

Who is the first man mentioned in the Bible? (Clue: it is NOT Adam.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Who do you say that I am?" is also in Matthew 16:15, I believe.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic:

This has gotta be a trick question? Like, who is the shortest man in the Bible? It's Bildad the Shuhite.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...yeah, or the baseball reference:
"In the big inning ..."

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Who is the first man mentioned in the Bible?

Is it Chap One?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter headings are not inspired. They are a recent invention. So, technically, Chap One is not in scripture. Scripture ran together, without chapter headings or breaks.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IN LIGHT OF "MOBY DICK",

here's a Bible test concerning JONAH:

Q:I
How was it that Jonah got swallowed by the whale in the first place (described as a huge fish)?
(a) Fell off a ship (b) Got thrown off a ship (c) Became shipwrecked during a big storm (d) Never explains that event

Q:II
The crew of the ship claimed the storm on the sea was caused by:
(a) A culmination of storms from the previous three days (b) Jonah had something to do with it (c) The whale (or huge fish) had something to do with it (d) Scripture does not explain this event

Q:III
When the whale (huge fish) vomited up Jonah, he was:
(a) still in the ocean (b) on a beach (c) near a strange ship (d) scripture doesn't describe this particular event.

Q:IV
What got Jonah into trouble in the first place:
(a) He felt wicked people shouldn't hear from God (b) He felt wicked people should hear from God (c) He didn't much care if wicked people did hear or didn't hear from God (d) He believed everyone was basically good

Q:V
Why was Jonah aboard that ship that found itself in the center of a violent storm?
(a) Jonah knew God was a gracious and compassionate God. (b) Jonah was afraid God would not destroy wicked people in a city of Nineveh. (c) He thought he was heading westward, far away from God.

Q:VI
There are at least two things mentioned in the book of Jonah where Jonah cried out that he would rather die. Choose two:
(a) While stuck in a violent sea-storm; (b) While he was deep in the inside of the whale ( a great fish); (c) Large leafy plant dies; (d) On the verge of sunstroke

________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________

a/n/s/w\e/r/s: (I): b, chap 1, vs 15; /(II): b, chap 1, vs 10-11;/(III) b, chap 2, vs 10; /(IV): a, chap 4, vs 2-3; /(V) a,b,c, chap 4, vs 2-3 & chap 1, vs 3; \(VI): c,d, chap 4, vs 5-10

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

posted Hide Post
If you have not read the story, you may just get 1 of these correct. Good questions!

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
philnic:

This has gotta be a trick question? Like, who is the shortest man in the Bible? It's Bildad the Shuhite.

Yes, it is a trick question. I'm not familiar with Bildad. Best said with a Brooklyn accent by the look of it!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Is it Chap One?

Yep,it sure is!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Chapter headings are not inspired...

Puns sometimes are, however...

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Chapter headings are not inspired...

See my groaner above.
Moreover, I have a friend whose name is Weldon and who says his name can be found in the Bible.
Any guesses?

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II:

Weldon, my good and faithful servant.

posted Hide Post
Huzzah!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
quote:

See my groaner above....

That "in the big inning" pun doesn't work in the UK, as we only ever use the word "inning" with an s on the end. When we talk about cricket, we refer to the "first innings" or the "second innings". (Although it ends in an S, "innings" seems to be a singular noun over here.)

- Phil